PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
Does anyone inhale there smoke? I've been smoking cigarettes for 8 years and made the switch and having a hard time not inhaling. I get pretty light headed and feel funny because the first couple bowls I inhaled the whole thing! I don't know if it is normal or not to inhale the smoke. The last bowl I didn't inhale at all and noticed I could taste the blend a lot more. What's your thoughts on this?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Nope! I enjoy a pipe much more if I don't inhale. I remember toying around with inhaling when I first took up the pipe but the magic lies in the retrohale.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I know where you are coming from because I was a cigarette smoker myself. That being said though, I think by inhaling you would be defeating the whole purpose of smoking a pipe, which is to enjoy the actual flavor of the leaf. It would probably take a little time to get over the habit, but if you succeed, you will experience the real pleasure of pipe smoking.
Alex

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think you will learn to engage your delayed gratification capabilities and derive your nic requirement w/o inhaling, via your mucosa.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The nicotine buzz is better than a Cigarette nicfix. Slow down and buy a pack of cigarettes to get your nicfix. Enjoy the pipe for its flavor and experience a tobacco like Haddo's Delight, which will give you that nice nicotine buzz.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I still smoke cigarettes everyday, but very little and only when I need a good nic fix. I don't inhale pipe tobacco simply because I can't taste it if I do and that defeats the purpose of smoking a pipe.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I enjoy a pipe because you don't have to inhale to get the nicotine. I can smoke a pipe and still run a mile :). Learning to retrohale greatly increased my enjoyment. IMHO its more satisfying.

In the beginning, I sipped in a little smoke to make the transition from the cigs. But, it's harsh, and I did not want to make a habit of doing that, so I kept trying stronger blends to get my nicotine. I think that when leaving the cigarettes, your lungs crave that "full" feeling. That part you just have to let go of. It's not easy, but we all knew that going into the addiction. Hang in there. It won't be long till your addiction to the pipe will outweigh your need for a lung hit. :wink:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
There's a lot more tobacco in a pipe than a single cigarette, and even a filtered pipe allows more crap through than a cigarette filter. So if you inhale, a cigarette is probably safer. Keep reminding yourself not to be misled by the fact it's lit and produces smoke. Cigar and pipe smoking are capable of delivering copious amounts of nicotine through the oral tissues, like chewing tobacco or nicorette gum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you inhale, you lose one of the comparative benefits of pipe smoking. Way better not to. In a word, don't.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Inhale pipe smoke? Heavens, no.
I enjoy my pipe tobacco AND can still breathe normally.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Besides smoking a pipe I also smoke cigarettes and cigars, albeit I never inhale a cigar. Even though I've been a 50+ year cigarette smoker I can't even retro-hale the mildest cigar. As for a pipe I normally 'breath smoke' and I will at times purposely inhale a very sleight amount of smoke, and very often retro-hale while smoking, but not even close to inhaling a cigarette. Just like cigars, pipe tobacco is more about the taste and the to some extent the olfactory sense with a pipe. When all is said and done, it's your pipe and tobacco so do as you wish, but the 'taste' of pipe tobacco will be close to nonexistent if you strictly inhale.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Hey, welcome on here. I'm slowly making the transition from cigarettes to the pipe. I still smoke cigarettes but not as many as I used to. + 1 on cosmic's comment. I started smoking tobaccos with high nicotine content for the buzz. I found that when I smoke tobaccos like Peterson's Irish Flake and Condor, I won't crave a cigarette. I like the whole ritual aspect that comes with smoking a pipe too. Unfortunately, when I'm at work, I don't have time for a pipe and that's mostly the time when I can't help but to burn through a pack of cowboy killers.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I inhaled a little pipe smoke yesterday and spent the next 15 minutes coughing. It wasn't a good experience.

oldseadog

Lurker
Feb 23, 2016
Hi welcome to the forums, simple answer is no you don't. You sip it like a straw taste enjoy and repeat. Slow rhythm just enjoy the time.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I actually did my College research last semester on the effects of pipe smoking vs cigarettes. If my mind serves me correctly, inhaling smoke from the pipe is 10x more likely to give you lung cancer than not inhaling. It's a different smoke, and unfiltered to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.