Info On Trent Lev-O-Lator

(15 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by mayfair70
  • Latest reply from mayfair70
  1. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Has anyone heard of, or owned, a Trent Lev-O-Lator briar pipe? I bought it for the Zulu/Yacht shape. Logo is partially worn off and has a teeny fill, but is good birdseye and grain on the briar and I love the shape. It was cheap since others seem to go for around $20 and I won't worry about babying it. Can't seem to find any history on it at pipephil etc. Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Here's the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estate-Find-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-21-IMPORTED-BRIAR-SERIAL-49W45-/361533821955?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=q2f77Eh147WsaJMOk%252Fz0VX3Ultg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Bump

This arrived today. The white dots washed off easily and I'm pretty happy with the overall condition.

Can I assume it was made in the US because it says "Imported Briar"?

I'm sure this isn't as exciting to others as a Dunhill, Sasieni or a Barling but it is a well made pipe. I kept passing it up on fleabay, but something about the lines of the shape kept me coming back to it. The screw in stem is loose until the final turn where it tightens up and aligns very well.

Again, any info, hearsay, rumors or whispers in the dark as to origin or demise are welcomed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found this, #5 on the list http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5322

It sounds like they were made by Henry Leonard & Thomas, who also makes Dr. Grabow.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No help here but you can't go wrong with a zulu! Looks like it will clean up well. Does it have a stinger?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Andy - Thanks, I'll investigate that further. I thought I read some vague musings about Whitehall making it, but I may be confused with a Suffolk I have coming soon.

Beefeater33 - It has a short threaded aluminum tube which screws in the shank, but no long cooling apparatus as I understand stingers to be. So... yes and no. It does not appear to have been cut though. I'll post pics soon, after I get it cleaned up and in smoking condition.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mayfair:

It's a lovely pipe and I can't wait to see it cleaned up. Please post as soon as you can.

I also admire your appreciation for the older designs. I've got some pretty wild looking smokers in my collection but I always gravitate towards the more traditional shapes.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bruce Peters pipes ( and a couple of others) were made by HLT for the Penn Tobacco Co. If this is a Bruce Peters it was most likely made before HLT bought Grabow,probably in the 1940's.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

I also admire your appreciation for the older designs

Thank you. I learned at an early age that form follows function. My greatest love is for prehistoric stone structures and tool designs...they are extremely sophisticated for being rocks; Followed by Egyptian/Akkadian/Sumerian/Shang dynasty and Art Deco, among others.

I've got some pretty wild looking smokers in my collection but I always gravitate towards the more traditional shapes

I would love to see some of your collection. I haven't been around too long, but I don't recall ever seeing you post a pipe pic. If you already posted some let me know. If you have not, maybe that would be a good summer project, if you can find the time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

ejames - Another excellent lead, thank you. Sounds like I have some puzzle pieces to put together tomorrow. I love a good mystery !

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Cleaned and smokeable. Has one small fill. Judging from pic provided in Andy's link, the stinger was cut back. Still doesn't tighten well and overturns now. Possible filter(???) or gunk in end of stinger, but can still pass a pipe cleaner. I'll have to sand the top of the chamber a bit, and redo the fill as it is red putty of some kind. VERY HAPPY with the overall grain and birdseye on this one. Need to scrub the stem again. Not bad for about $12.00

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cleaned up nicely! I say it's a great get. Congrats!

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Pretty pipe !

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes I agree nice looking little Zulu. Hope it smokes well for you.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Thanks gents! So far so good. It does have a tighter draw than I'm used to, but not by much.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   svii, jaygreen55, papipeguy, fishnbanjo, spartacus, georged, renfield, pipestud, ben88, morgansteele