PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Has anyone heard of, or owned, a Trent Lev-O-Lator briar pipe? I bought it for the Zulu/Yacht shape. Logo is partially worn off and has a teeny fill, but is good birdseye and grain on the briar and I love the shape. It was cheap since others seem to go for around $20 and I won't worry about babying it. Can't seem to find any history on it at pipephil etc. Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Here's the link...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estate-Find-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-21-IMPORTED-BRIAR-SERIAL-49W45-/361533821955?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=q2f77Eh147WsaJMOk%252Fz0VX3Ultg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Bump
This arrived today. The white dots washed off easily and I'm pretty happy with the overall condition.
Can I assume it was made in the US because it says "Imported Briar"?
I'm sure this isn't as exciting to others as a Dunhill, Sasieni or a Barling but it is a well made pipe. I kept passing it up on fleabay, but something about the lines of the shape kept me coming back to it. The screw in stem is loose until the final turn where it tightens up and aligns very well.
Again, any info, hearsay, rumors or whispers in the dark as to origin or demise are welcomed. :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I found this, #5 on the list http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5322
It sounds like they were made by Henry Leonard & Thomas, who also makes Dr. Grabow.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Andy - Thanks, I'll investigate that further. I thought I read some vague musings about Whitehall making it, but I may be confused with a Suffolk I have coming soon.
Beefeater33 - It has a short threaded aluminum tube which screws in the shank, but no long cooling apparatus as I understand stingers to be. So... yes and no. It does not appear to have been cut though. I'll post pics soon, after I get it cleaned up and in smoking condition.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Mayfair:
It's a lovely pipe and I can't wait to see it cleaned up. Please post as soon as you can.
I also admire your appreciation for the older designs. I've got some pretty wild looking smokers in my collection but I always gravitate towards the more traditional shapes.
Fnord

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bruce Peters pipes ( and a couple of others) were made by HLT for the Penn Tobacco Co. If this is a Bruce Peters it was most likely made before HLT bought Grabow,probably in the 1940's.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I also admire your appreciation for the older designs
Thank you. I learned at an early age that form follows function. My greatest love is for prehistoric stone structures and tool designs...they are extremely sophisticated for being rocks; Followed by Egyptian/Akkadian/Sumerian/Shang dynasty and Art Deco, among others.
I've got some pretty wild looking smokers in my collection but I always gravitate towards the more traditional shapes
I would love to see some of your collection. I haven't been around too long, but I don't recall ever seeing you post a pipe pic. If you already posted some let me know. If you have not, maybe that would be a good summer project, if you can find the time. :)
:puffy:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
ejames - Another excellent lead, thank you. Sounds like I have some puzzle pieces to put together tomorrow. I love a good mystery ! :P

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Cleaned and smokeable. Has one small fill. Judging from pic provided in Andy's link, the stinger was cut back. Still doesn't tighten well and overturns now. Possible filter(???) or gunk in end of stinger, but can still pass a pipe cleaner. I'll have to sand the top of the chamber a bit, and redo the fill as it is red putty of some kind. VERY HAPPY with the overall grain and birdseye on this one. Need to scrub the stem again. Not bad for about $12.00 :)
hpim4330-600x285.jpg

hpim4334-600x377.jpg

hpim4338-600x297.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Cleaned up nicely! I say it's a great get. Congrats!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks gents! So far so good. It does have a tighter draw than I'm used to, but not by much.

Status
Not open for further replies.