PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I may be coming into some money soon, and for the first time in my life I'm seriously considering venturing into the world of higher-end artisan briars. I've got a nice collection of briars (30 plus) but the vast majority were in the $30 to $150 range. I am seriously infatuated with a half-dozen Ardor pipes I've seen from an online vendor, but these briars are well in excess of $300 each.

So, my question is whether anyone here is familiar with this line of briars, and are they worth the money?

Bear in mind that, while I love the appearance of these, I'm more interested in their qualities as smokers.

Thanks in advance!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I own eleven Ardors, so I am a bit prejudiced on this subject. Ardor pipes are extremely well made: they don't gurgle, they smoke cool, are made to pass the pipe cleaner test, and made from well cured briar. I own a couple of pipes from companies that are in the same class, i.e., Ferndown and Rinaldo, but Ardors are great smokers. I own several old Dunhills that are great smokers, but the Ardors take a back seat to nobody, and are certainly better than new Dunhills, in my opinion. You could go the estate route, but my feeling is that if you've seen one that fits your personality, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of good smoking from an Ardor pipe. Sounds like a sales pitch, I know, but that's my two cents worth. Good luck on whatever you decide.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I purchased mine some 30 odd years ago.

It's the middle pipe, paid about $50..Worth every penny.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/pstlpkr/album/picture/621

My Ardor DR Urano

Sorry for the link; posting from my phone.

:puffy:

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I have 3. Great pipes for the price. Buy it from this vendor (Rich?) vithout hesitation.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Ardor are the best, they take no back seat to any pipes, I have 4 and they are without a doubt some of the best smokers I have, treat yourself, buy you a new one you won"t regeret it

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks Alex. I hope you're enjoying yours.
I too feel that an Ardor pipe is possibly the best buy for the money right now.
Rich

4noggins.com

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Wow -- sounds like everyone is in agreement! Thanks for the info, guys. It's just what I was looking for.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Ardor pipes have really taken a price hike within the past six or nine months. While I don't own an Ardor pipe I do have several Cavicchi's which I found to be a great pipe value in his sandplast or rusticated pipes. Also, Ferndown was mentioned which I think are one of the best values for the quality.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I have an older non-handmade Ardor with a vulcanite stem. It's a lovely piece for flakes, smokes very dry, doesn't gurgle, and is quite light for its size. It was very reasonably priced at the time.
The newer handmade ones are certainly intriguing. I wish there were a choice in terms of stem materials.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I own 4 Ardor's, I have 3 Urano's with bamboo shanks and 1 Ninfea poker with a swirled lucite stem. All perform very well and are worth the money as far as my opinion goes. All my Ardor's are regular size and are light in weight. :puffy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Rothnh: not all Ardors are big and heavy. I have a few that are, but I also have a few decent sized ones that are rather light weight and are comfortable clenchers.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Rothnh: the big ones get more attention, and Ardor probably does make more big pipes than anybody else, which is why it looks to you the way it does. But I find that even the clenchers smoke smooth and cool. All the ones I own were easy to break in, too. Overall, six of the eleven I own are clenchable.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Jiminks -- what are the dimensions of the your "clenchers?" The size of the Ardors was something I was a little concerned about. I don't mind a huge sitter, but I generally like to keep my pipes clenched between my teeth.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That's a hard question to answer because weight is as important as bowl size. I have a few pipes that are "normal" size that are heavier than some which have bigger bowls. One rule of thumb is that if it looks too big to clench, the chances are that it is. I realize this isn't quite the answer you are looking for, but I can't fairly say a bowl has be such and such a size, and such and such a weight to be a clencher.
Edit: Measuring one clencher: a full bend Brandy, 2 inches deep and 1 and three quarter inches wide. It's very light in weight.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I measured two more of the bigger clenchers: a straight billiard, bowl 2 inches deep and one and half inches wide. The Sherlock Holmes calabash bowl is 2 and a half inches deep and 2 inches wide, and is light as a feather, though the shank and stem are a little thin.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have one Ardor and it smokes great. Mine is a group 5 that is a Urano Fantasy and even though it does have a Lucite stem it is still fairly comfortable. Here is a pic of the one I own.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
img_0015-600x450.jpg

Here are the four that I have that you can use for a comparison.

Dec 24, 2012
I have 17 ardors in my collection, ranging in size from a small group 3 to a few of the Ardor Giants. Truth be told, I have not smoked the Giants but they are amazing to look at. The small group 3 has a military mount and is one of my go to flake pipes. I am a big fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.