PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
So...
Today I met with a friend for brunch, followed by a pipe. There's not much to report from brunch, except that this friend, as part of his job, travels to areas of certain international troubles...
Well, he was telling me of a visit he made to a refugee camp in the East, and of his being gifted a small amount of tobacco by a resident of this camp. He told me that he brought this tobacco back with him, but instead of smoking it immediately, took it to a tobacconists, to see if they could replicate it. This they did, very expensively.
After we had finished brunch, we both pulled our pipes out to fill. I offered him the tobacco I had brought (P's Gold Blend - yum!), which he declined, and instead pushed across a small bag of an unidentifiable blend. It smelled incredible; spicy, but with a mellow sweetness. The tobacco was odd though, in make-up. It seemed to contain a lot of stem, and the cut resembled a mixture of shag and large ribbon cut. Intrigued, I took some, packed and lit it. It was DELICIOUS. Exactly as it smelt, and cool burning.
I told my friend so, and he in turn triumphantly told me that I was tasting the very same tobacco gifted by this refugee on my friend's travels!
We enjoyed our bowls, and went our separate ways for the day, but before leaving, my friend told me he would have some more of the tobacco replicated, and would gift me some! I love the pipe-smoking family... :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Interesting story but too many secrets. You're just giving us a tease. Cough it up, spill the beans. The East isn't a place and delicious isn't a flavor.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Haha, you got me Dot!
'East' is Syria... But, whether it was my pure, unadulterated enjoyment of the pipe, or my lack of reviewing proficiency, I don't quite know how to describe the blend... Perhaps one day I'll have enough blended for you all to try it though! :wink: The best I can do is: a cool, light Virginia, with some cinnamon and pepper thrown in!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Today, Syria is a particularly dangerous country. We are all affected by the loss of Syrian Latakia due to current trade restrictions. I can only imagine the mysterious blend you smoked was very special. You are a lucky man.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It was replicated when he got back to the West, so, the tobacconist had some Syrian Latakia on hand, hence the expense. Well, this whole thing reads like a spy novel, so I won't second guess it. Or was it Royal Yacht?

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Does anyone mouth water to the mention of a promising tobacco ... which is weird since it has nothing to do with food, but for some reason, his tale is making me drool on the floor.

This is a very well told story, and as others said, a massive tease.

Has you local B&M kept the recipe for themselves ???

I shall hope that this will be shared !!

Status
Not open for further replies.