In your opinion, can quality tobacco "ghosting" be a good thing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
For example, you smoke a lot of good tobacco in a pipe and it leaves its taste there.
Then you return to mediocre tobaccos due to the lack of good tobacco in your stash, but the taste of the previous one is still there.
Do you like it when that happens?
(I don't know if I should have posted in this section, since it's more of a personal taste question...)

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I got a great pipe last week with a strong spicy (non aro) like ghost. The pipe had been reportedly retorted by the seller. I hated it at first but I've probably smoked well over twenty bowl in it and either it's fading or I've gotten used to it. 8O

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I can't say on the specific question (that is, letting 'quality' tobacco intentionally ghost 'mediocre' tobacco), but I like an intentional ghost on occasion. Sometimes I smoke something like 1-Q and smoke a straight VA in the same pipe some time later. Makes for a nice Cavendish undertone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For example, you smoke a lot of good tobacco in a pipe and it leaves its taste there.
Then you return to mediocre tobaccos due to the lack of good tobacco in your stash, but the taste of the previous one is still there.
Then that would be a good thing, the ghost from a better tobacco. I try to not smoke mediocre tobaccos.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I have a mm cob ghosted with half and half. I dont like how it makes my carter hall taste now :(

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Mac Baren Cube Silver leaves a tasty ghost after only a few bowls. It adds a subtle sweetness to near any blend. No complaints on this end.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Ghosting isn’t always bad. If you smoke the same thing in the same pipe for a long time it could be considered a flavour enhancing ghost

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I picked up an estate that I really, REALLY liked. It had a strong lakeland ghost. I decided to smoke the ghost out and in the process developed a real fondness for lakelands.
The ghost introduced me to a dimension of tobacco that I probably wouldn't have discovered otherwise.
Doc

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I smoked some bowls of Irish Flake in my first pipe, and when smoking a bowl of Seven Seas Regular in it after that...
The Seven Seas tasted just like Irish Flake!
I guess it may be a way of saving money. :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a matter of keeping track of ghosted pipes, so you know not to compromise blends where you want no ghosts. Frankly, I've never knowingly experienced a ghost. The cob I just used for Mixture No. 79 may serve as an experiment, to see how another blend will taste in this pipe. Since I don't build cake, 79 may not turn up in any amount I can taste, but I'll let folks know if it does.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I recently swapped a pipe I had committed to english blends and started smoking a Va/Per in it and I was pleasantly surprised at how the ghosting really enhanced the experience, especially towards the end of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.