PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just a little side thought that I had this morning. Recently I sent off a pipe to Briarville to get restored, and I was thankful that there is a place where you can have a nice old pipe refinished, and extend its life. Then just the other day I went to play some records, and my nice old Dual record player started acting up- the tone arm wouldn't reset properly and I've lost one channel of sound. Turns out there is a highly recommended repair shop in Toronto that repairs old record players. It was my dads and I would much rather repair it than buy a new one. Again I was struck by how in this age of planned obsolescence and new-is-better, you can still have things repaired and fixed.
s-l300.jpg

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thankfully, there are people out there that revel in rejuvenating all things mechanical!
Thats a nice one! I have a lot of my dads old albums and would like to get a decent turn table to play them again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amen. Sadly, it almost requires someone on a reliable pension or with an inheritance to do this kind of work because the fees they can charge don't pay the rent in most cases. There's a photographer who has done gallery shows of photos of mountains of discarded devices and appliances to illustrate how the disposable economy generates waste. I can still remember when a refrigerator lasted forty or fifty years and a radio receiver might do the same. It's not common, but a few beloved automobiles still have parts manufactured for replacements, as with the Ford Model T and some of the MG sports roadsters and some others. I had my wife's much loved little Singer sewing machine, portable, rehabbed by a man in town who does this, and her clarinet rehabbed by a local musical instrument shop. Glory be to these guys and gals.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
mikethompson, Happy you found them.
Made me remember my Gerard in the 60's with Fisher speakers. Forgot the brand of amp, & a LOT more.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
If often times mourn the loss of old fashioned craftsmanship. In my home town we used to have quite a bit of that as I was growing up. Last week I was looking for an old timer, that for the past 40 odd years was working with leather. You know, harnesses, backpacks, belts, ammo belts, knife sheaths, to find out that he passed away and that nobody took his place, as hand leather works are not in demand anymore. This week an elderly jeweler died in town, to read in the newspaper that he was the last to hand craft jewelry in our home town .. sad our wedding bands, and my wife's engagement ring were made by this guy. There used to be radio and tv repair shops, watch repair shops (well, there is one left, and the former apprentice is still young and does a pretty good job), etc. Hardly anything left ... supply and demand, man. Like mso said, why repair if it costs more to repair than to buy new ... regardless of the price we pay, as a society, for disposing waste.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Madox, sounds like what happens everywhere really, an old timer retires and there is no one left to pass the torch to.
With regards to my turntable, I'm hoping that he works on Duals - they tend to scare away other places. Also some parts just aren't available anymore (it is around 45 years old).

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
This is happening here as well, though almost every jeweler shop has their own subcontractors to perform watch and wall clock repairs,but it is no worth sending them an average cheapo hand wind mechanical wristwatch,only those of higher end watches might be worth repairing because the cost they tend to charge for cleaning, oil change and time adjusting would easily cost more than $100,

Status
Not open for further replies.