PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Pocket pipes--those little marvels that usually only an inch shorter than a regular pipe--can be real life savers on trips or visits to relatives. I have two, both straight tip La Rocca Piccolos, one smooth the other rusticated, and they have saved me when I have to take my mom to visit relatives or go to anniversaries and so forth. Even Dunhill makes one. As the name suggests, you can slip one into your pocket along with your pipe tool, lighter, and tobacco without over-encumbering yourself, and they can hold a surprising amount of tobacco. During my most recent trip 150 north of Detroit, I found them indispensable when someone needs to make a rest stop and I can take the opportunity to sip a little tobacco, or sit out on the porch when the ladies are deep in discussion over sales and coupons. Because of their small, blunt stems and little weight, I have found these pipes handy when lunking through gardens or surrounding woods, leaving my hands free. And in the morning, when I'm just getting my motor started, they are perfect for the first smoke of the morning with coffee or tea. So, have you discovered these little giants, and if so, what kind do you have? There's an apple one I've read of but can't remember the maker.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Never had one but they sound very interesting. I have been wanting a meerschaum pipe, would be my first. I was wondering would those mini meer's fall into this category, have you ever seen one? I do need a small pipe from time to time and are really interested in purchasing one soon. What would you recommend? Thanks

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I don't think I would recommend a meer for a travel pipe. Meers are pretty delicate, like a piece of china. They also can be sensitive to temperature changes and crack if they go from hot to cold quickly.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Ok, thanks. Just looking for a small pocket pipe, what brands would be a good one. Who carries these online, I deal with 4 noggins, jr cigars, and smokingpipes.com

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want a quality pocket pipe at a really low price (seems to be my specialty) I recommend Iwan Ries

Exclusive compact pipes. These are the first few pipes on their Iwan Ries Exclusives page; the rest here

are standard size, mostly Group 4's. But the compact pipes are made by Benton with Algerian briar and

are fine little smokers. I have the bent billiard. I think they run about $36, if memory serves me.

These are at iwanries.com. I have mine about five feet from me, in a small basket with two MM cobs.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Speaking of MM cobs, the Pony Express almost qualifies as a pocket pipe - I've got one in my backpack now, along with a tobacco pouch, matches/ligher and a tamper. The bowl's a little smaller than I normally like for leisurely smokes, but as an emergency backup, it fits the bill.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's a nice one I found at Cup O' Joes for a good price: http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=breb1033

When doing a search on a pipe site, search for "pocket pipe" not "pipes", singular not plural. They also have La Roccas like mine available. Good luck, let me know how it works out.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm tempted to get that one myself. Another good accessory is the Brebbia Tobacco Pouch at Smoking Pipes; I did a review of it on their site:http: //www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2822 This item is handy on your desk or on the run. It'll hold two ounces of tobacco, and it gave me just enough to get through my latest trip, along with my La Rocca Piccola.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
phred, who makes the Pony Express? What store carries it? I may end up collecting these little pocket rockets.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sparrowhawk - Missouri Meerschaum (MM) is the maker of the Pony Express. Their Missou model has a bowl about the same size, but with a bent stem that's a touch longer. Both list for $4.49 direct from Missouri Meerschaum, but several of the online vendors carry their pipes as well.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I made a cut and paste error: the correct addy for the pouch is http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2822

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I end up wanting to carry a pipe often and absolutely hate being able to tell that theres something in my pocket, so I really enjoy what small pipes I have. One is a smaller Dr. Grabow Starfire billiard that can actually be stuck through the fold of my tobacco pouch and carried in the same pocket without adding any considerable bulk. The other is a Pete 317 style Wellington that's compact, light and a joy to clench. Both are perfect for a jacket pocket or the like.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
That Kaga is a lovely pipe, and has a clear Japanese feel about it, particularly in the stem. And all black, my favorite pipe color. Unfortunately, I've blown my pipe budget for this month...

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like my MM Pony Express; they are a great smoke on the cheap. For fun though I have a Vest pocket pipe; turn the stem around and fits in a shirt/vest pocket no problem.

118214_m.jpg

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I did not mean to hijack the tread, but thanks all for the great advise. I will look at all these.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Say, friend, you didn't hijack anything; this forum is supposed to assist gentlemen like yourself. I'm glad my thread was of service. You will let me know if you get a pocket pipe, won't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.