PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I've been smoking a pipe for about 12 years now, and sampled judiciously from all the major blending houses (SG, G&H, McC, C&D, PS, et al.) However, I managed to avoid Mac Baren thanks to reports of the infamous "Mac Baren bite". Despite the warnings, I decided to take the plunge last spring with a tin of "Mixture Scottish".
I'm now convinced these reports are generally a matter of personal mouth chemistry and poor smoking technique. Furthermore, I can't believe I waited so long to try their blends! Everything I've tried rings my bell, and I've found some new blends I will be stocking by the pound. Specifically, "Mixture Scottish", "Navy Flake", "VA #1", "Vanilla Cream" and "Plumcake" are all excellent blends of the highest quality and flavor. There are many blends left untried, and I'm looking forward to working my way through the Mac Baren stable (Solent, Dark Twist, etc.)
I'm not saying the "bite" isn't real, but after reading reviews by many experienced pipe smokers, I'm increasingly convinced it's a chemistry issue. Furthermore, many of the blends do require closer attention to technique, so I would not recommend many classic Mac Baren blends to new smokers. But, if you've been avoiding them based on reputation alone, give them a try - you might be surprised. If it sizzles your tongue, sell it to me! :puffy:

Reactions: Casual

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Very nice ... more blends to add! LOL
I like Mac Baren too ... never had any trouble with the notorious bite.
Their HH ODF is almost always in rotation and the Va #1 ages really well ... enjoy! :puffy:

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Hear, hear!
I brought home an ounce of Mac Baren Scottish from a visit to Edleez in Albany, New York yesterday, and I just happened to have smoked a bowl in the past hour and enjoyed it very much. I didn't think I'd like it, but I was curious.
Jay

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
If you like the Mixture Scottish, you'll probably like a lot of their other blends. It contains the same sweet Virginias and a healthy dose of the Mac Baren "special cavendish" that finds its way into many of their blends.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I've been impressed with the last several tins of MacBaren I've tried. I suppose they can bite if you smoke it fast, but slow down and it's just fine. The Solent English Mixture is great stuff. HH Latakia Flake is fantastic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several of the Mac Baren blends I've tried -- avoiding the bite -- did seem harsh anyway, maybe the bite lurking in the bowl. But recently I tried their Modern Virginia, and all is forgiven. That is pleasant and full of taste to me. Maybe I'll find others I like. I'm an appreciator of C&D, GLP, McC, PS, and Semois, among others.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I like some of MacBaren's offerings. Good flavors.
I did get some MacBaren Symphony from a pipe show a few years ago. It was a little dry and it did not just bite my tongue it shredded it.

Mar 1, 2014
After trying half a dozen blends from MacBaren I actually stuffed them all in the same jar and labelled it "MacBaren Everything" (Except for 7Seas Royal, that at least had some flavour).

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it "bites", but my tastebuds have no subtlety, so MacBaren just didn't do it for me. Lat bombs and candy sweet VaPers are what move me.
I do have a tin of Modern Virginia on the way and I have high hopes.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I always have a tin of The Solent open. I really like the HH Latakia flake too. Dark Twist on occasion. Never got the tongue bite from Mc B's.

I think they are most known for their burleys, and I'm not to keen on burley...........

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Never understand the McBurn....great choice of tobaccos in their range.
Roll cake my favourite.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you like Mixture now, wait until you try some with a few years on it. :puffy:

I've tried a lot of their blends; some didn't work for me, while others I like very much. HH Vintage Syrian has been a staple for years; the Latakia Flake is a winner. I've still got 3 tins if Mature Virginia stashed. Golden Extra was added to the list last year, when I looked for a replacement for Burley London. I've got a few tins of that stashed, too, and recently opened a tin I got on our Paul's Pipe Shop run in January that is probably from the late 1980's.

Definitely a line worth exploring.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm a really big fan of the Navy Flake and Scottish mixture. I've noticed that I will get a little bite when I eat very acidic foods before a smoke. Other than that I really cant say that I've had to much of a problem with it myself.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
HH Acadian Perique is one of my favorite MacBaren blends. No question they are a top notch blending house.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I like several of MacBaren's offerings, but not all of them like me. The "MacBite" is real -- something in the casings they use, I think. I've had the same experience with some other European tobaccos. And this coming from someone who smokes everything from straight burley to the brightest, hottest burning VAs -- believe it or not, it's really not just a matter of technique, though I suspect bad technique probably contributes to the MacBite.
I don't get it, however, from Golden Extra.
Symphony I really like, but it tends to bite me. Same with Virginia #1 -- wonderful, bright, and zesty, with a touch of honey or vanilla(?). I'm glad others can enjoy them because it's hard to beat the price.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
So I picked up a tin of Golden Blend at my B&M the other day--my first foray into "the world of MacBaren."
It was my first burley-forward blend and it was quite nice. I've never had tongue bite before so I don't know what it's supposed to feel like, but I did notice a bit of tingle on the tongue-nothing dramatic, mind you, but it was there and I did make sure to slow down my cadence a bit. All in all, a nice blend. The War Dept picked up a tin of Mixture from duty free on her last business trip and I'll pop that tin in a few months.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I luv me some Golden Extra.

IMG_0047.jpg

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
For the longest time the only MacBaren blends I had in my cellar were HH Old Dark Fired and London Burley; however, over the past six months or so I've probably cellared 15-20 pounds worth of different blends of theirs. Late last year there were some really good deals online and I loaded up on HH Acadian Perique, HH Vintage Syrian, HH Mature Virginia, Navy Flake, and grabbed a 2-4 tins each of a number of other blends.
I have found that conversations around MacBaren blends usually conjure up a love/hate reaction from folks. Some love 'em others can't stand 'em. In my opinion you can't beat the price and so far I haven't smoked a blend of theirs that I didn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.