PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Well they say March is "in like a lion and out like a lamb." I can't argue this morning. We were spoiled with record awesome weather last month though. We're under a winter storm warning, with 5" of snow in the forecast, and 45mph winds. Lots of fun! There wasn't a flake on the ground when I got up this morning. The shot below was taken 15 minutes later. I figured I'd be nice and blanket the horses!

dsc_0495_sml-600x450.jpg

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I've always heard the same "in like a lion out like a lamb" saying also. The first weekend in March here is the beginning of spring break season. We probably have over 100,000 spring breakers in Panama City Beach right now. That number will get a lot higher during the next few weeks. This morning it is 37 degrees on the beach with strong north winds. Not exactly arctic conditions to some of you. We are VERY cold though! Be interesting to see if any of the spring breakers are on the beach today!

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
nsfisher - where are you at? It's fairly typical to get a March storm here, but we don't ever get the 'foot of snow' that seemed to be on the ground all winter long (years and years ago!).
I'm thinking that VERY cold in Panama City would be VERY hot to me LOL!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada, mate. We have lots of snow this winter, but it doesn't stay around too long. Except for the 3 weeks that the temperatures stalled around -10- -21

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Ah yes....I've been stuck out that way several times during the winter. You guys get some crazy winter storms. I spent 7 years working up and down the Hudson Bay coast - that makes winter everywhere else seem like Florida in the summer!
Well...snow here has abated somewhat. I can see the shed about 50 yards away. The local ski-hill just got 42cm of snow overnight; that should keep them going for a while.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Hunter you"re a good man,we don".t get too cold in Louisiana , but we get some blows and I see around my farm too many people that have animals that don"t have any shelter for them to get out the weather , didn"t happen in my day everyone had some kind if barn for them. Uncareing Pricks. The old cajun

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Ha ha! Those 5 horses are my 'kids', so they get taken care of very well. It's not really cold enough for blankets, but they'd be soaking wet and frozen with all the snow coming down. The 'lion' arrived at 7am, so I made sure they were fed by then. Hay doesn't stay on the property long with these winds. And we get crazy winds here - one last year hit 90mph. So that shelter has to be strong enough to stay there.
This blast of winter is supposed to last until tomorrow, then we're back into sunshine. I'm hoping that's all we see of the 'lion', and the 'lamb' will be arriving soon! There has been some crazy weather across the continent this year. Some places are getting snow that have never had it, and I was out riding in a t-shirt the other day because it was so warm out - unheard of for Feb.
My mare (below) has access to the shelter, but wasn't interested. Make for a good photo, though!

dsc_0511_sml-400x600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Beautiful pictures and I'm glad the horses are staying somewhat dry!
They're calling for heavy snow here in Western Maryland on Wednesday...........make it stop!

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 inches of snow here this afternoon and 5 more forecast for tonight into the wee hours. I'm in the Canadian prairies and I think I can truthfully speak for everybody around here when I say that I am totally sick of winter. Enough already!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Ahh here in the Pacific Northwest we got our one sunny day for the month so I was happy!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hunter, we've had a rough late-February / early March down here as well. Horses blanketed. Goats hunkered down. Chickens laying schedule interrupted. Only the ducks seem to like it.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Pacific NW...yep. That huge 'lake' out there tends to promote the clouds and precip! You guys out on the NE side get some crazy heavy snow.

Sothron - you should post a couple pics! That sucks about the chickens laying schedule being interrupted. I think there was a bacon-and-eggs thread here somewhere.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I have a shed that's has heated pads. The animals get warm on those. It was below zero for a couple weeks in a row. They need shelter from the snow and cold as we do. They can go out if they want to, but usually stay inside.
Were getting another 10" Monday and Tuesday. Hope its the last of the deep stuff. I so ready for Spring.

Jul 15, 2011
You know, living in the Midwest for more than a couple of winters, you would think that people would be well prepared for this stuff, but at the mention of more than an inch or two of snow, its automatic mass hysteria. The streets will run red and civil unrest is inevitable. :?
They have been saying we could get up to 8 inches of snow for the last couple of days, but the forecast just changed to 3-5 inches of snow with a possibility of some light sleet and freezing rain. Hasnt gotten here yet. Good thing I dont have to be anywhere for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.