PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I am not well known for being patient. I've finally got some tobacco back for aging on my canned goods shelf. But I'm still impatient. That being said I'll finally be trying my first aged tobacco! I just won the e-bay auction for a sealed 50g tin of James B Russell Inc, Monarch, from 2002...so it's ten years aged. Now the question is do I want to be impatient and crack it right when it gets here? Or should I wait and let it age a bit more? Or should I strike a middle ground and wait till warmer weather when I can get the forum members in the area together somewhere we can enjoy some tasty beverage, aged at least as long, while sharing in the hopefully deliciously aged English blend?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't want to rain on your parade, but it sounds like you may have some unrealistic expectations for a blend that's only ten years old. I know it sounds old to you, but I think it'll just be a slightly smoother version of its younger self. . . and the reviews lead me to believe it was just an okay blend to begin with.
Just my thoughts...
Bob

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Smoke it now, it will teach you a little about how latakia ages over time.
But only a little, since you don't know what it was like when fresh...
I promote pipe tobacco aging myself but I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be gravely disappointed in 5-10-15 years when they open their matured tins and say "THAT'S ALL?!?" or "I liked it better before!".
It has happened to me more than once... (Not after that length of time, but you get my drift)
The end result of all our tobacco is consumption by fire, so it's never a sin to smoke it if you are so inclined.
The sin, on the other hand, is letting an aged tobacco go over the hill and past its prime...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I agree with the above posts. :)
My own experiences with aging have been positive, but I have very limited experience in aging latakia blends.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Keep buying those aged tins from consignment shops or from eBay and you will get a feel for what your favourite blends will end up like.
It is always a guessing game but unless you know what it is like fresh and then every step along the way it is hard to tell.
(Likewise when a blend switches to a different blender or undergoes a recipe reformulation, it can throw a wrench into your aging plans a little bit)

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I know nothing about ageing pipe tobacco since I've never tried it.

If it means anything (and it may very well not), I've had lots of experience with ageing Cuban cigars, and I can say unequivocally that the difference is considerable.

But if your can of tobacco has already aged for ten years, my guess is that it's ready to be enjoyed, and that waiting longer might very well be an unworthwhile risk.

At any rate, it's your decision, and best of luck! :puffy:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
josh - I have some Monarch, dated 950202. I would go ahead and puff it now. The tin and components seem to be from McClelland, who often age their product before shipping it, so this batch is at least 11 YO, possibly a couple of years more. My impression of the tin I'm working on is that it is so mellowed as to be almost muted, relative to the Latakia and other Orientals, so further age won't do that much for it now.
hp

les

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
lestrout

-looks like we got the same batch, 950202 is what's dated on mine as well. If you've got a review of it I'd love to read it, we may have to compare notes once I get a taste or two in :lol:
So sound like grab a few smokers to share with crack the tin and sample it ASAP is the general thought process

Status
Not open for further replies.