PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hypothetical situation. You're in a good pipe shop where you feel you can mostly trust the stamping. You aren't planning to buy a pipe but burrowing through the basket pipes out of curiosity, you find three pipes in a shape and finish you like, all equally appealing. None carry a brand, but they are stamped, respectively, "Made in London," "Made in Italy," and "Made in France." They seem all of good quality, and the prices are fairly close. Just based on the nation of origin, which would you gravitate toward buying?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Interesting question. If I had to choose only one I would chose London too. My reasoning for that decision won't make sense to anyone but me so I'll keep that to myself. Definetly London.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
London. I own a couple "basket" pipes made by unknown British makers(although most likely two are Comoys and the third is a Dunhill shape). These are great smoking pipes. I search out these sorta unknowns.

So I lied, I haven't smoked this one much yet. The Edinburgh C&Co. London Made(Comoys rugby shape stamp)

2016_10_01_19_01_29.jpg

Birks Rhum pipe(same COM stamp)

1920s-BIRKS-RHUM-PIPE-Rugby-LONDON-MADE-stamped-_57.jpg

Grant's Tanshell, so many things about this pipe scream Dunhill, but perhaps not at the same time.

054.jpg

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Made in France. I say this because I feel like they put out some more unique pipes than others.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
None of the above, not trying to be obstinate, but in 26 years of pipe smoking I've never bought or even smoked a basket pipe. I started with a Dr. Grabow and my second pipe was an estate Big Ben. I was fortunate to have an old fashioned tobacconist nearby that steered me to an estate pipe when I was ready to purchase my first non-drugstore pipe.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Philo, I've actually never purchased a "basket pipe", but I used to search for "made in England" and "made in London" while on ebay. Got some really good estates that way. Of course I had to pry the estates out of a dead man's grimy fingers, but that's another story.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Unfortunately my nearest B&M doesn't seem to have basket pipes anymore. I picked one up long ago and everytime I go in I look for a basket but there is not one to be found.
The one I have is simply stamped "Italy" and it smokes great (although I'm not much of a fan of the rustication job on it). I would definitely buy more basket pipes, if only I had the opportunity.

Dec 28, 2015
Since 90% of my pipes were made in Italy I would say Italy. But then again maybe I should branch out. Or just screw it....I will get another cob!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Italy. Would be afraid the Londons would be connected to Dunhill, and don't have a lot of experience with French pipes.

May 4, 2015
The baskets at my B&M are still like $50. Worth it? Probably, but I'd rather go estate.
To answer the question, though: Italy. I trust Italian pipes. No reason.

Jun 4, 2014
I'd have to say Italy, as my one and only basket pipe is a smooth Prince stamped Made in Italy. It was a great smoker till I snapped the tenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.