I'm Very Tired of Matches. What Is the Best to Replace Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I've tried (whitouth sucess) Zippo-types lighters, Bic-type lighters, a bad pipe-oriented lighter which immediately broke, and a jet-flame lighter which gave me bad taste in the mouth, etc.
What do I do?
I hate matches. I use tons of them and I'm tired of them.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
First of all, don't hate matches. They are one of the real friends of pipe smokers. If you are not willing to spend too much money on lighters, Bic is the best thing to do the job. If you dry your tobacco well enough and improve your packing, you won't need more than 2 matches to finish a bowl.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
You tried zippo type lighters but did you try the actual zippo pipe lighter(which is different than the standard, the insert that is, the outer case is the same). I personally try to use hemp wick most of the time or matches. Also what kind of matches are you using? If you really want to use a lighter which I think you do and don't want to spend a lot then maybe a long bbq lighter would serve you well however even a sub bic should do the job fine.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@jvnshr I can't not hate matches. I hate lighting them, I hate everything about them. I would rather spend $40 (R$120) on a quality pipe lighter. The problem is finding one that doesn't break.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@eggrollpiper, I'm using 5cm matches without sulfur. They are "good" but I'm tired of them. Gonna buy a true Bic tomorrow and see what happens.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@jvnshr I can't not hate matches. I hate lighting them, I hate everything about them. I would rather spend $40 (R$120) on a quality pipe lighter. The problem is finding one that doesn't break.
OK, then don't hate lighting them, they are one of the best friends of pipe smokers. You may get a real Zippo for less than $40, for $40 you can get 2. And they don't break, even if they do, they have a lifetime warranty.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have burned my share of matches and eventually went to using hemp wick and a bic. The hemp wick catches fire almost immediately, so that you're using the bic for mere seconds or less and the wick will burn nice and slowly for as long as it is long. No full up ashtrays, no burnt fingers, easy deep chamber re-lighting.

I've not had much luck with refillable butane lighters. They all seem to fail, eventually.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pick your poison, if it makes a flame, other than torch lighters, it'll make a good pipe lighter. On Zippos without the pipe insert, you can pull the wick out to the point that its tip is just above the chimey, and it will be great for lighting a pipe.
20181022_033120.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
If you send a Zippo to the company, they'll put a pipe insert in for free.
To much effort and time will be wasted then :p

btw, Embers, is that nimrod lighter 2nd from the right on your pic?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For me it’s the opposite. I eventually settled on using matches almost exclusively. I have many high quality lighters, but matches are a better light for the tobacco and certainly less rim carbonization.

Sep 18, 2015
I’m not overly picky about fire, I use matches, Bics and refillable butane pipe lighters fairly equally. The matches I like are cactus quills, the drawback to these is how easy they catch fire, I have set the ashtray on fire several times, just the heat from an extinguished match is enough! I have a Lotus L11 that’s about 5 years old and still going strong, I recently bought an IM Corona Old Boy that I like a lot. I use Bics in the truck and at work.

I don’t think it matters all that much what you use, it still requires developing a technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.