PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Saw this while cruising ebay. Plugged in my ninety-nine cent bid and let it ride to an unchallenged victory. The seller's pictures really didn't do it justice. (Mine doesn't either, but it's a little better)
I've heard Dr Plumb isn't exactly a top of the line pipe, but I can't find anything on this one I don't like. The blast is nice, feels good and smokes great.
Show your Dr Plumbs if you have them and let me know if you like them or not.
IMG_3498_zpsvng6tyw4.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice score tuold! Dr. Plumb is indeed a GBD second. It may not be sporting the brass rhondelle of a GBD, but I bet it still smokes just as nice. 99 cents?! Well done sir.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Yes, Dr Plumb is an Oppenheimer brand. From 1925 when the Canadian agent wanted something new with the view of sweeping the market of the dollar pipe.

The slogan chosen: Like smoking through ice.

By 1928 sales in Britain reached 12.000 dozen a year.

Dr Plumbs were soon introduced to all exports markets,in particular the Far East,Australia,New Zealand and South Africa.Sales to United States were always up and down,which did not reflect the popularity of the Dr Plumb but rather the state of business in the USA,with protective customs barriers which at times created havoc with prices.
From Pipeline Autumm 1981.J.P.Cole

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They look like snappy pipes. I like the trim lines and the finish on that blast.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Way to go. Good to know that they smoke well also. Been thinking about getting a few. Fairly cheap most of the time.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
scrooge, I'd say if you have had good luck with GBDs you would like a Dr Plumb. The one I just posted above has the GBD shape number 1352 stamped on it which is a half bent apple with a round stem.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for the info tuold. Guess I'll have to get another rack for my new quest for Dr Plumbs.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
didimauw, It's a handy little belt knife by Western Cutlery. Blade size is 3". I've had it as long as I can remember, maybe late 70's. It dates before the Coleman takeover of Western.

Status
Not open for further replies.