PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I was shuffling some things around on my desk and I noticed that I'd left the stem off my Pete Ebony Killarney B10 for a long time...So I go to twist it on and the next thing I hear is a little snikt/snap sound!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!
And then I saw it, the hairline crack now running down the shank :oops: :crying:
The shank cracking also popped the band loose. Man, this was one of my (if not THE) favorite pipes too. Couldn't happen to one of the crappy pipes I don't really give a crap about, NOOoooooo.
Sigh, is it really a goner at this point? Could I still use and enjoy it even though it's cracked now?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It should be repairable, but the bigger issue is the tenon is a bit too wide for that mortise if it cracked the shank. You could send it off for a professional repair or roll up some 220 or 400 grit sandpaper into a tight roll and gently and evenly sand out the mortise a bit. Take a lot of care to keep the sandpaper flat against the walls of the mortise or you will end up sanding it into a cone shape instead of straight. Take care that you are sanding evenly around the mortise. Also stop and check the fit often. You don't want to overdo it.

Take the band off and put a drop of superglue into the crack, but be careful. If it soaks through into the mortise, it will make it an even tighter fit for the stem.

If any of that makes you nervous, send it to someone who does it professionally. They will do a much better job anyway!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sorry mate. Myself, I would repair it. I am comfortable doing it myself, to my own pipes, but... if it is one of your favs., then by all means, spend a few bucks and send it away for repairs by a Pro. Money well spent.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Sorry to hear about this, Namuna. I also would send it to Walker Briar or some other reputable repair shop to have it fixed.
I have found what I believe to be a strange thing happening this winter. All of my pipe's fittings have become very tight whereas in the summer months, they become loose.
Logic would dictate (at least to me) with the extra moisture and humidity in the hot months in the Northeast, the pipe stems would be tighter in the summer, and looser in the winter. I had to use graphite on the stems to get them to slide on without too much struggle.
??

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Damn that is a shame. I would send it to be repaired by a pro. I have never had to, but from what I have heard Walker Briar Works gets a ton of support around here. If it was me, and my favorite pipe I wouldnt think twice about sending it to them. Sorry to hear, and best of luck with the repair.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I almost never remove stems from my pipes without an army mount for this reason. Sorry, it happened to you. I've done it on a grabow.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 Bryanf.
When I do remove the stem for a good shank cleaning, I rub beeswax around the tenon before putting it back in the shank. This helps ease the stem back into the shank with minimal fuss. Then I run a pipe cleaner thru to make sure there is no beeswax in the air hole.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
My instincts should've kicked in too. I know about using the graphite trick when the tenon fit is tight, but I was being quick about it, and as I was twisting and pushing the stem on --right when the idea about using graphite popped in my head-- was exactly when it snapped.
I'll check on Walker Briar.
Thanks everyone.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Here's a quick pic of the mishap. :oops:
12159192055_37d322c3e4_z.jpg

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
WOW thats crazy, It had a band on it too!! I bet that can be fixed. I would send it in to a pro. Some may think this is crazy but I have always sanded my tenons down slightly so that way they turn easy in the pipe, but not loose. And knock on wood I have not had a problem yet.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Sorry for the crack, perhaps contact Peterson direct and see if there is something they can do for you.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I've sent an email over to Walker Briar about repair, we'll see what they say.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is going to sound dismissive, but I really don't mean it that way. I respect pipes and the relationships

that we develop with prized performers. But we're talking about a $100 pipe. It hardly warrants the cost of

repair and 2-way postage when a DIY fix using crazy glue will probably fix the problem. Give it a try; if you're

not satisfied, offer it on eBay with full disclosure. Somebody will buy it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Ouch. This may be a great time to contact http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/profile/cosmicfolklore

I was super impressed with his work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I only pull the stems when a pipe is in dire need. I'm pretty tidy with them otherwise, or that's my excuse.

For a favorite pipe, I'd send it to a pro. How often is this going to happen ... every ten years? Probably less.

So the expense, postage and all, is marginal. You might postpone buying the next pipe if your budget is

tight. Some family member might console you by gifting you with one. Anyway, this project would be

routine for a pipe repairman; this is what they do.

wannashmooze

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
I have never had that happen to me but it looks repairable. In my day job I'm an orthopedist and that little break looks very much amenable to fixation with glue and a tight band. I would super glue it carefully so as not to mar the finish, wrap the shank tightly with twine while the glue dries overnight to get it to be nice and tight. After that fit it with a tightly fitting band. If you arn't comfy doing that alone, Walker can probably do a very satisfactory job for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.