PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Can anyone make a suggestion for a good citrus flavor tobacco? Doesn't have to be an aromatic. A good citrus flavor like oranges, lemons and limes in a Virginia would be fine to. I'm looking for something where you can taste the citrus rinds. Maybe even a little bitter would be better. I've never had any tobacco with these flavors and it seems like one I would really enjoy trying. Something tangy and zesty!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Start exploring the straight matured Virginias. It may take some time for your palate to adjust, but you will start

to pick up the citrus and tart elements of the bright leave blends. For my part, I avoid aged tins as they take on

a more caramel-like character, whereas new tins show more "exuberance", as G L Pease would say. YMMV, but

I find that my ability to enjoy tobacco's natural citrus elements improves if I avoid Latakia and dark fired tobaccos.
McClelland 5120 and just about all of their brown label blends produce citrus taste.

Sam Gawith Medium Virginia Flake

Mac Baren Virginia #1

Stokkebye 4th Generation 1855

Dan Mellow Mallard

Altadis 507C
It might help to organize your search, a lifelong process, by visiting LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com.

The left hand column of the home page organizes tobaccos by category, so just start working your way through the list.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like Dan Mallard a lot because it's so smooth and yet tasty. Great if you smoke a lot, or go through numerous small bowls of tobacco throughout the day. The downside is the price. ~$12 for 50gr.
ps. The tin says it's an aromatic, but IT IS NOT. I think they want to convey that it has a nice aroma, but to

us in the U.S.A. the word means artificially flavored, which Mallard definitely is not.

Jul 15, 2011
As long as a tin lasts me, it would be worth the price for me if it is indeed smooth yet tasty. Not hating anything about that description. Ill throw a tin in with my next order. Thanks cortez!

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Grousemoor for some crazy lemongrass experience.

St. Bernard for some soapy citrus experience.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Looky at what I just found while browsing SP.com.

Dan Tobacco - Michael Apitz' Private Blend "Buddies"

Read the review...

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2249_298290408

...now check the price! 8O

rjscha

Lurker
Feb 16, 2013
Several years ago I smoked a blend by Ashton called "Black Parrot". It was distinctly tangy. I loved it. I know the company has changed hands since then. I'm not sure who's blending for them now, but I just saw that they are making a comeback and "Black Parrot" is back on the menu. I'll be giving it another try. You might want to give it a shot.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hoo-boy! I just had to come back to this thread to report on a very tangy, citrous blend (though it's a VaPer):

McClelland Club Blends GKCPC Beacon. It's sweet enough to keep you puffin' all day, but there's lotsa pucker power here fans!

This is a small flake / broken flake jumble of tobacco that I have to rub-out thoroughly. Even at that I dry off the resultant ribbons with a hot air blower. Lemon sour, acetic tang, and overall sweetness too.
ps. There's a Beacon Extra too, which has more Perique in it. I haven't tasted that one yet.

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2254_398237826
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2254_18350297

Status
Not open for further replies.