PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
My never-ending quest for a pipe lighter continues. I had a S.T. Dupont knock off that I bought in a European pawn shop and I like the the action, but it works sporadically and it does not have an angled flame for pipe lighting. I bring it up because I like the operation of it with a lid and side flint strike. So in my quest I found a IM Corona pipe magie and I like the looks of it and the reputation of Corona lighters. However, I think they have been discontinued. I have also found the Corona Accord pipe lighter and Laurel Pipe lighter.
So my question is what is the difference between:

IM Corona - Pipe Magie (Discontinued)

IM Corona - Accord ($90)

IM Corona - Laurel ($200)

IM Corona - Elysee ($120)

Do any of you have any experience with any of them.
Thanks in advance.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Marketing! Different tastes mean one size doesn't fit all. Car makers do it all the time, with different bodies on the same chassis, only cosmetic differences and sometimes thousands of dollars difference.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
dcmpa - thanks for the advice.
I have a colibri connaught but it barely works. It only lights 1 every 5 tries. So it is time for a new lighter.
I don't like using a bic, I occasionaly burn my finger or the pipe rim.
I hate zippo's. They are super reliable and somewhat nostalgic but I can't stand the smell/taste.
The pipemaster is nice, but I prefer a flint lighter as it seems more reliable to me.
The old boy style is nice and I know probably can't go wrong with IM Corona. I have also heard good things about Kiribi, Tsubota, and Peterson(made by tsubota) old boy style lighers.
That took me to the roller style lighters of the Dunhill rollagas (which I can't afford) and the IM Corona roller ligthers that I have mentioned in this post. They are my preferred style aesthetically but I was hoping someone could weigh in on them.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
If you want an inexpensive alternative to a Corona lighter consider looking at a Jifeng. After I picked up my first pipe I quickly realized that I couldn't use my cigar torch lighters so I did some research and really liked the Corona but didn't want to drop $100 on it.
I found quite a few good reviews from pipe smokers on the Jifeng replica. You'll find them on a few sites but I'd recommend buying from ebay or amazon instead of purchasing directly from a Chinese website. You'll be able to get a solid copper Jifeng for around $20 shipped right to your house. Unfortunately it will take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive.
Here is what I ordered for $20 a week or so ago.
2co679k.jpg

Unfortunately I don't expect it to be delivered until sometime in mid to late February. :(

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
I've been using both the IM Old Boy and the Pipemaster for more than two decades. I've had to replace the piezo-ignition on the Pipemaster two years ago (which set me back all of ten dollars) but other than that neither has ever once let me down, which seems to make the initial investment justified IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.