I'm a Pipe Rookie - Looking for Pipe Guidance!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickdp

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
CT, USA
Hey all. I have been smoking cigars since college, but of recent, I decided to dabble in pipes as well. I still have yet to master the art of packing as I tend to have to relight often, but live and learn I guess.
I was just looking at getting a new pipe, the more different the better. It still has to be a solid pipe though. I had three in mind - one was a nice embossed dragon meerschaum pipe, one of those fancy pants Butz-Choquin pipes (although I heard they tend to smoke hot), and a pipe I saw on Etsy from Fasion Pipes but I have NO clue if they are good or not - it is cheap, though (http://www.etsy.com/listing/83842679/exclusive-dragon-pipe-tobacco-pipe?ref=col_view. Any ideas?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
So you like dragons, huh?
Just my opinion, but I don't think either the dragon meerschaum or the etsy pipe would make for a very good "rookie pipe". The Etsy pipe seems like a nice carving, but I doubt it's much of a pipe. Quite a few people have been burned by these Ukrainian "specials".
BCs are factory made pipes and you can probably get a decent pipe for a decent price. And "smoking hot" is more of a characteristic of the SMOKER than it is the pipe.
Buy the best quality tobacco and pipe you can afford. Stay away from "prop" pipes (hobbit pipes, wizard pipes, DRAGON pipes), take your time and practice, practice, practice.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
The one you were checking out on Etsy is a pearwood pipe and if you want that type of wood, check out Mr. Brog.

You should check out falcon pipes, they are good smokers and have changeable bowls. Everything I have heard about BC pipes is good, they've been around for quite awhile. Savanelli, Peterson, Nording and everyone's favorite Missouri Meerschaum are good pipes to look into as well. :puffy:

nickdp

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
CT, USA
That's what I thought. The meerschaum is pretty expensive, the Ukrainian special was a little suspicious, and the only time I had a hard time with tobacco burning hot was when I first started smoking cigars because a wasn't taking my time - haha! Thanks a lot! It makes me feel a lot better.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Starting out I would go with a few Missouri Meerschaum Cobs, they smoke awesome are very forgiving and are inexpensive. IMHO you can't beat a MM Cob. If you want something a bit more unique check out CobSnob.com, they use MM Cobs and cover them in a clay, I have a couple of these also and they are great.

FYI the pipe I am smoking in my profile pic is a Camou Cob by CobSnob.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Hi Nick. Welcome aboard. My advice that I give all newbies would be to go to smoking pipes dot com and buy yourself a Stanwell straight billiard for $80, a three way Chzeck tool, some packs of cleaners, and a tub of Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Or Lane's 1Q. While you're learning how to pack, light, tamp and sip, I'd recommend perusing the newbie threads here. I'd also recommend clenching the pipe to develop a smoking cadence of slow sipping. Piping will come to you providing you have some patience.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Just to be contrarian: I have one of those "Fashion Pipes", they are usually marked G.G. for Golden Gate. They are in fact Ukranian. But they are not all pear. I got a slightly small but quite nice briar poker for $60, and it loves to burn OGS so far. But that's just me. o)
And yes, to back up the opinions given, all these have been grape at additions for me, and for my learning curve: Missouri Meerschaum (BUY AMERICAN on cobs), Mr. Brog pear woods, Savinelli, Stanwell, Nording. Estate pipes are your friend. Artisan pipes can wait until you really know what you're looking for. And a masterful pipe will NOT help you smoke better, just enjoy good smoking to it's fullest; a Lamborghini is not the fastest thing on the road if you don't know how to drive it.
Go with a pipe that calls to you, looks like it belongs to you. Take your time to learn what works with that pipe. Buy what is within a reasonable budget for you. And enjoy!

nickdp

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
CT, USA
Wow - all great advice. I think I'll check out the MM and corn cob until i get used to things.

Now... just to get my avatar up and running (I just want to fit in) haha!
Thanks again guys - I'll be asking tons of stuff here.

nickdp

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
CT, USA
CobSnob looks great! I have found my pipe!!! You guys really are the best. My grandfather and great uncles smoked pipes but for some reason the tradition skipped a generation. I'm so happy to start it again. Cigars are great but there's something about smoking a pipe...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard. You've got some good advice already. Let me just quote some of my faves:
Buy the best quality tobacco and pipe you can afford.
I say this all the time.
take your time and practice, practice, practice.
I cannot emphasize this enough!
If you decide to buy an estate pipe, I recommend buying a restored estate from one of our site sponsors. While good deals on estate pipes can be found on eBay and Etsy, as a pipe puffing n00bie, it's very difficult to really know what you're bidding on; plus, if it's unrestored, you don't know how to do that anyway.
I completely agree with Roth.
I would suggest you get a reasonably priced pipe to start out with - an estate, or that B-C you were eying. Once you start getting into the whole thing, pick up some cobs to get yourself a quick rotation. And stay away from what appears to be "great deals" in pipe tobacco - that is, 12 oz (or so) bags that are under $20. Don't be afraid to drop $10-$15 on a small tin - it's worth it.
Enjoy the journey.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome Nick.
I think everyone's given solid advice here. We were all where you are now (and many of us still are). Pipe smoking is a bit of a challenge at first, so like others have said , be patient - the rewards are well worth it.
Also, quality, yet wild looking pipes do exist, but they're usually expensive, so I go along with Kashmir and others, start with a simpler, well-made pipe. This will allow you to get better faster and enjoy pipe smoking more.
smoking pipes dot com and buy yourself a Stanwell straight billiard for $80, a three way Chzeck tool, some packs of cleaners, and a tub of Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Or Lane's 1Q.
+1

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
nick, welcome aboard. I know you mean to dabble in pipes, but in my experience, one pipe

leads to another. CornSnobs should give you a good pipe and the extra dazzle you're looking

for. If you find yourself in the market for a briar with similar traits, take a look at the Peterson

Dracula, an ebony smooth or rusticated bowl with a blood red stem, $96-$100, or for a little

less, a BC Caprice with a rusticated ebony bowl with raspberry stem and silver band. Just notions.

I'm sure you'll find your way to many (perhaps too many, like me!) pipes you'll enjoy.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Howdy Nick
I came back to the pipe after a 25 year detour in to cigars and I can't overemphasize the need for patience. The first few months seemed like a constant battle to get the pipe packed right and burning well. All the great advice these experienced guys have given you will move you further up the learning curve, but at some point you will still have to get a feel for it all. Just relax and keep at it because the reward is great. Best of Luck.
Jeff

nickdp

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
CT, USA
I was looking at a Snake Suit pipe at Cob Snob. I think that it is definitely is a conversation piece. I like how they keep the cob in view too.
I just ordered Borkum Riff Limited Edition 22, fruit & vanilla tobacco. I just wanted to give it a go. I have a couple of tins right now including some Skandinavik which I enjoy (it's better than the bag of "Hobbit Blend" that my buddy gave me as a joke).
As for patience, I've been keeping with it. I remember the frustrations of being in college trying to prepare and smoke cigars correctly. I'll be checking out the n00bie threads for some good advice. That looks to be a great source of knowledge.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was looking at a Snake Suit pipe at Cob Snob.
I haven't tried a cobsnob, but if you want a unique looking pipe that may be a great solution for you. They are very cool looking and it seems like a great idea to combine a ceramic stem with a cob.
As for tobacco, be aware that there are many levels of quality when it comes to tobacco, so if you're not enjoying it, just try another - there's thousands choices out there.
Good luck Nick, and let us know how it's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.