Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
hu36l1ax3k701.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very interesting George. A lot of truth in there. I'm guessing very few manage to abide in the center...Ikigai.
A JAPANESE CONCEPT MEANING "A REASON FOR BEING"
Someday something will find you

A magical feeling you could not foresee

A feeling so devastating

From that moment on your life's a comedy

And suddenly you're light as a feather

You're falling like a leaf from a tree

The things you thought you needed are fading

Your reason to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxuPOFOsp0Y

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To do what you do well, that which you love, which earns your livelihood and benefits others. . .talk about a powerful confluence!
I think we all do what we love to do if for no other reason than that because we are doing it, and if so we will fight to the death to keep doing it; and this can be called love. We of course want to do what we do well, but if done poorly and without benefiting others, oh well. It was all we could do. We think we did our best no matter the outcome, but such thought is often full of self-deception.
As regards combining the former three with being paid, well, that's paradise!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Philosophical diagrams always interest me. Like images in poetry, they are imperfect, but if well done, give you a glimpse of an orderliness that is useful. I think you could commune with this diagram for months and still conjure new ideas from it. People may be focussed and fixated on some of these categories and yet be impelled by others "beneath their notice." People are funny creatures.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
People have often pointed at me and said icky guy. I mistakenly thought it was mean. Now I can walk a little taller.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I am a finishing carpenter, and while I'm good at it, there is always more to learn and ways to grow as a craftsman. I don't always love it, sometimes it sucks, but you can get in a zone where it's all working, and I do love it. So I suppose I float around ikigai in my daily life.

Status
Not open for further replies.