If You Like Burley... Could You Recommend Your Fav?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have avoided Burley dominant blends for years... They always burned my tongue... did nothing for me... I don't recall the Burley blends I had initially tried... I believe they were popular tinned tobacco of a few years ago (McClelend etc).
A couple months ago, someone posted about UHLES Crushed White Burley and Perfection Plug.

So, I tried Burley again and this time it was a total winner. I love both of these tobaccos. I buy 7 ounces at a time.
My question is, does anyone have a favorite Burley or Burley dominant blend that they would recommend?
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I actually like Sir Walter Raleigh. It's got a mild topping I think, but dried out a bit, I can smoke it all day. I never tried UHLES, so, no way to compare. YMMV. :?

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Uhles, Peretti, C&D... all good Burley blending houses. If you found Uhles, you are already on the right track.
Edit:
Favorites, Wessex Burley Slices, MacBaren Golden Extra, C&D 3 Friars, Peretti Cuban Mix, C&D Cube Cut.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first all day smoke after experimenting with various drug store offerings, like captain black in the white pouch and a couple of WalGreen's brands was Sir Walter Raleigh.

I still enjoy a bowl of SWR and it's cousins PA and CH, but I really go for Cornell and Diehl's blends.

Lately I've been smoking Billy Budd and Big n' Burley along with Old Joe Krantz.

A mixture of Billy Budd and Big n' Burley yields quite a tasty bowl of very satisfying tobacco.

Big n' Burley remains my strongest blend. I have difficulty finishing a complete bowl before I begin to sense nicotine overload. At least there's one (I know that there are many more) blend that will curl my hair.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Sir Walter Raleigh is what my grandfather smoked... I do like that.
I do have the Peretti's cuban and like that. The Peretti's "original mixture" is quite floral... or... soapy tasting to me.
I'll check out the others... Thanks.
-G

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I really like the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match by Sutliff. I haven't tried the Lane re-release but from what I've read some people like the match as much if not even more than the Lane version. I also like Prince Albert, smoked a big bowl of it on my way into work this morning.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
The Peretti's "original mixture" is quite floral... or... soapy tasting to me.
I have found most of Peretti Burley to be like this. However they are processing their tobacco (old school I assume) tends to have a floral, soapy flavor. This reason alone is why Peretti does not rank higher for me. The quality of the product is good, but their processing just doesn't agree with me.
You can't beat C&D Burley in my opinion. Bear in mind, it tends toward the old fashioned, rough around the edges American style, but it is top notch. They have plenty of blends that are very well done, balanced and flavorful.
Here is a quick search for just "Burley Based" Cornell & Diehl on TR.com: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Brand=Cornell+%26+Diehl&BlendType=Burley+Based

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Well I really enjoy most of the "drug store" burley blends (aside from Half & Half) but my favorite is probably C&D's Burley Flake #2. Lately I've been enjoying Peretti's B-94 too.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
The Peretti's "original mixture" is quite floral... or... soapy tasting to me.
This piques my interest. Anything like a Lakeland blend? I like burley to begin with (H&H Burley Kake gets a strong recommendation from me) add some Lakeland essence and I'm all in.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Tabac Manil Semois La Brumeuse, then Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake, 5 Brothers, Old Joe Krantz, & Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed match.

I haven't tried most of the other suggestions.

I love Burley's nuttiness & often find it sweeter than many Virginias.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
This piques my interest. Anything like a Lakeland blend? I like burley to begin with (H&H Burley Kake gets a strong recommendation from me) add some Lakeland essence and I'm all in.
Let's put it this way, and this is only my opinion, so take it for what it is or isn't worth. If a traditional Lakeland was an IPA, the flavoring in some Peretti's Burley would be like Michelob Ultra. To my taste buds, a floral/soap essence akin to a Lakeland.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Classic Burley Kake, Prince Albert, Lane Ready-Rubbed, and my own home brew, Carter Hall/Orlik Golden Sliced/Latakia. The proportions are roughly 70/20/10.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Let's put it this way, and this is only my opinion, so take it for what it is or isn't worth. If a traditional Lakeland was an IPA, the flavoring in some Peretti's Burley would be like Michelob Ultra. To my taste buds, a floral/soap essence akin to a Lakeland.
Man, you couldn't have chosen a worse beer as an example. I hate Michelob so %$*#ing much.
That being said, I think I'll have to try an ounce of Peretti's original blend soon. It just sounds too interesting not to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.