If You Had to Buy Pipes From One Country for the Rest of Your Life...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think this question has been asked before... but never with a poll! I like the flair of Italian pipes, the simplicity of English pipes, and the ingenuity of American pipes, but for me the pipes I most consistently fall in love with are those from France. How about you?
Take the poll: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll908576xfeE94702-37
EDIT: Dammit, I wanted to impress you all by embedding the poll with HTML but the code seems too long for the forums. :oops:

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Went with Italy. I love my Savinelli and I very badly want a Ser Jacopo!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I'd be comfortable with anything north of Canada on that list. I have several examples from each of those countries. If I had $X, where X is the amount I have spent on pipes to date, and could only spend that $ again on pipes from one country I would be fine.
I chose USA for the survey for two reasons:
1. Our artisans are making mind blowing pipes that smoke so well there is no need to outsource.
2. Missouri Meerschaum.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As much as I love Italy and Denmark, had to go American for the artisans. Love my Bruce Weaver pieces.

Jan 8, 2013
Denmark. I love the look of so many Danish pipes. My second choice would be a toss up between Ireland because I love my Petersons, and America. Of course so many American carvers are influenced by the Danish style.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Interesting consideration, especially in light of the fact that no one has mentioned Greece.

I think the French innovated briar?

The English perfected the classic.

The French and English collaborated on classics.

The Danes introduced handmade freehands with curved shanks?

The US can provide you with a full spectrum of pipes, from high end hand made to reliable factory made.

I'll go with the US, because of MM. I think using corn cobs to burn tobacco is a perfect match.

The US introduced the world to both tobacco and corn cob pipes. ( that's my read )

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm going with England. I love old Meers and old Brit-wood, but the USA is a close second because of my old Kaywoodies and my modern Ryan Aldens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Statistically, referring to my pipe racks, Italy, with Denmark running a close second, and U.S. a close third, or tied for second. I could live with any of those three choices, but variety is best. I have pipes from France, Holland, Greece, England, and others.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
This is a hard one. I'd have to go with England, for the history. You could be satisfied with the nuances of collecting from the various brands, Dunhill, Sasieni, Charatan, Ferndown, etc. for years and years.

Status
Not open for further replies.