If you could go back and see ONE BAND...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
at the peak of their career - in concert - who would it be and when?
Example: The Beatles in 1964 because uh, you love screaming teenagers (this is not my choice, I'm just using it as an example)
(Also, feel free to brag that you actually did get to see Bob Dylan and The Band at a 4-H cookout, or the Ramones in your school cafeteria in 1978 or something.)
(Aaaaand of course my newbie ass didnt put it in the right forum so feel free to ban me or whatever.)

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
I've seen a lot of live shows from Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Danzig to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. The most humbling experience was when I saw Tony Bennett about 3 years ago at Hard Rock Live in Orlando. He was 81 years old and almost had me in tears. He is the best singer I have ever seen live PERIOD. But if I could go back and see a show that I missed, it would be to see Type O negative before Peter Steele died. He was a great musician.

rfrostrevelation

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2011
Smashing Pumpkins circa 1996. Siamese Dream album release. Went the first time, would love to relive that night!

adam12

May 16, 2011
Wow those are some pretty unexpected choices. I must say I've never seen Tony Bennett. Or even thought of seeing him.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Either the pre-geriatric Stones or the Who. Tony Bennett also was a fantastic painter! I have seen several of his works.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Tough call, mainly because I would want to avoid the giant stadium shows. I'd probably opt for The Allman Brothers original lineup with Duane...at the Fillmore.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
My first pick would have to be Huddie Ledbetter and Blind Lemon Jefferson playing on the sidewalk in 1920's Deep Ellum.

I'd buy them both a couple beers and listen to them play for hours.

First choice for an actual band would have to be Jim Morrison and The Doors, somewhere in the pinnacle between the awkward nervous first few shows, and the drunken drug fueled downward spiral.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
But if I could go back and see a show that I missed, it would be to see Type O negative before Peter Steele died. He was a great musician.
Thankfully, I did have that chance. I went for the Queensryche Promised Land Tour and Type O Negative opened for them in Dayton, OH. I loved Peter's voice before that concert, but his style was mesmerizing. The dude was also so huge!
I would've loved to see Aerosmith and Pink Floyd.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
One of the best shows I've seen was Charlie Daniels nothing country about his early shows.Pure hard rock.The one I wish I had seen is the Rolling Stones.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Any of the concerts of Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Steve Ray Vaugh, early Louis Armstrong Earl Hines (1928 recordings for Okay Records). I know its an eclectic list, but there it is.

jaxpipesmoker

Lurker
Apr 6, 2011
I went to my first concert when I was 15. I went to see Rush with some friends. This past March I went to see Rush once again, but this time with my 21 year old son. Life is good, no life is Great!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
The Beatles at Shea Staduim.

My sister and I were in the back seat as the family car drove past...we got to see the stadium lights on the way home to Seaford that night,...that's as close as we got. :crying:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Beethoven performing the Pathetique Sonata and Fur Elise are tops for me. Then one of the first Black Sabbath shows that came to the States. Oh and Ozzy with Randy Rhodes when they played in Rochester in the early '80s...
-Jason

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I went to that tour too Rfrost (Shudder to Think opened?), but Corgan got hit in the face with a shoe and they ended the set early.
I would've liked a chance to see Coltrane and/or Miles play. And I would've liked to have been there for Portishead at the Roseland. And I regret never seeing Underworld around the "Second Toughest in the Infants" era.
As for music cred flexing? I saw Failure and the Flaming Lips open for Tool. Saw Nirvana play at a small SRO club. Saw Quicksand open for Rage Against the Machine on their first tour. Saw Pavement opening for Sonic Youth. (And Mudhoney.) Went to the first three Lollapaloozas...
So Gen-X. =|

Status
Not open for further replies.