PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Got in a couple polar-opposite tobaccos today and was just amazed at the difference between what 4oz. of one looks like vs. another.
I can fit 4oz. of Sutliff goo in a pint jar, but Bayou Morning takes up every bit of a quart.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Gawith FVF creates quite a contrast with either DR Picayune or Tabac Manil

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I first learn this when I ordered 8oz of dried up PS Balkan Supreme at a local tobacco store. The proprietor was not happy about the number of scoops it was taking to make 8oz. It wasn't much of problem to re-hydrate it when I got home.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wasn't it the old horse traders who'd induce their livestock to drink gallons of water before a sale to pump up their weight and appearance? Semois is packed very dry, so the amount of tobacco you get for its weight is considerable. Much to love.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Whenever someone would complain that the Standard Tobacco blends were too dry, I would offer to sell them some water at the same price they paid for the tobacco. I never understood that: Buy wet tobacco, just so that you can dry it out to smoke it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hey Woods!
Yeah, last summer I bought a ton of C&D 1lb bags at a big sale on smokingpipes. They came like sawdust. I was concerned, but was told they'd rather sell tobacco than water...
I could live with that. =)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here's a handy-dandy chart:
MoistureLevelMBW_Page_1-vi.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some minor testing indicates that unless the tobacco is bone dry or so wet you can wring it, the difference that moisture makes is less than 2% by weight. Your moisture may vary.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The above chart shows what that weight difference can be, up to 6% and still be within the range that you might receive it in the tin.
Of course, at Standard Tobacco, we don't use just ANY water. We use Vintage Water. Water created billions of years ago, frozen into ice meteors, plunged through millions of light years of the bitterly cold darkness of space and delivered to the earth's surface with unfathomable violence and devastation.
Oh, wait. That's ALL water.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
With enough napalm, anything burns. It just tastes too close to Lakeland Essence(tm) for me to enjoy it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, so major testing shows up to 6%! Note made, and appreciated. Sort of. Hate to be contradicted by those who actually know what they're talking about....
And a good evening to you, Sir! See you in LV, I presume, and hope! Hasta le vista, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.