PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I don't need any more pipes. I already have more than I can smoke. HOWEVER, I really want the following to complete my collection:
A chunky vintage Tom Howard
A Savinelli 320 or another nice author shape
A birth year Dunhill
A Peterson System pipe
A Canadian or Lumberman
The only reason I want them is because I don't have them represented in my collection, and once I acquire them, I'll sure I'll need more.
What pipes are on your list, and why?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
You just need to control yourself, get a grip, take a hold o' yoursel' (as we say in Scotland) like I have done. I've only bought 7 pipes in the last month. One day at a time..........

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've only bought 7 pipes in the last month. One day at a time..........
:rofl:
That's the embodiment of restraint, that is.
Ok. I'll bite.
A birth-year Dunhill Shell Briar Canadian

A birth-year Dunhill Shell Briar Bent Bulldog

A Michael Parks blasted, pencil shanked, Canadian (group 4ish)

A Michael Parks blasted, Bent Bulldog

A Trevor Talbert Ligne Bretagne Collector grade Bulldog

A Rad Davis blasted Canadian

A pre-war Barling in good condition

A pre-Cadogan Comoy Blue Riband, preferably a bulldog/rhodesian

A pre-war Sasieni 8 Dot, preferably a Canadian or billiard
Yeah... I have a ways to go...
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are a number of artisan pipes I dote on, but don't really expect to buy. It's just not part of my

budget or hobby to drop some hundreds on one pipe, though I'm supportive of those who do. It keeps

the hobby going. The potential pipes I'm warding off right now are a particularly fetching zulu, of which

I already have two fine examples; a panel to replace one that just never worked out, had a plastic-ish

finish; and a really low end but strikingly shaped Dublin. I own two pipes that I haven't even smoked

yet, but like a lot. Perhaps I can content myself with a tin or two of newly available blends, among the

six or eight I'm tempted to order. I don't want this pipe interest to be mostly about buying stuff.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Pruss - very funny, actually it was:
- A Dunhill DR straight billiard

- A Barling pre-transition straight billiard (from reborn)

- A Dunhill Dress bent billiard (from reborn)

- A Peterson Patent System (from reborn - I'm keeping his freakin' business solvent!!)

- A Loewe 'Haymarket era' straight billiard

- An Upshall P-grade pot
So far!!!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Right... thanks to kcghost for reminding me about...
A Lee Von Erck smooth AA grade bent

A J.T. Cooke OKF Bulldog/Rhodesian in black
-- Pat

Jan 8, 2013
I wouldn't mind a birth year Dunhill. I would also like to get a relatively pristine 2006 Dunhill, my sons birth year, to put away for when he is older.
Past that, I'm not too sure, at least one morta, I suppose.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Complete? Never. Here are some brands on my list that I've not tried yet, no shapes in particular in mind. I also don't know if I care since pipes can really only smoke so differently, IMO once you get to a certain level it doesn't really matter what's stamped on it so long as it's comfortable:
Bonacquisti

Ardor

Cavicchi

Don Carlos

Mastro de Paja

Posella

L'Anatra

Axel Glasner

Dunhill 1983 - canadian or apple shape

Tom Eltang Ukelele

Larry Roush

I don't think of collecting as being something that could ever be complete. New styles will develop, and new artists will rise to the top. I have my rotation, and I am happy with it. Now, I am just saving to buy a new high end artisan pipe occasionally. That may slow me down to four pipes a year, but... this is just to satisfy my own desire. Currently, I am saving for one of Becker's strawberry lovats. After that, well, I haven't decided.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Each time I open an email from Smokingpipes.com, or get an update from Joe Case, or see a snazzy pipe in a Kevin Costner movie, I think: that would finish off my collection! Fact is, I want to add about 30 more pipes to my collection, and see another one every day I would like to get. Some weeks I hunger for different stems, sometimes I want a new shape, or a different bowl material. I have 87 pipes already, have given away over 2 dozen, and lost or tossed out about a dozen broken pipes over the years. PAD is incurable, my friends,

But then again, maybe I will stop if I pick up a Rad Davis....

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've pretty much decided to have 3 pipes from every country of note for their pipes and I just seem to try and figure out which 3 I like the best. I currently have no English pipes as I'll just need to find Dunhills I'm sure. Given how much I enjoy my Italian pipes I'm sure I'll change this to 7 day sets. :lol:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
While I have over 50 pipes in my collection, only a couple are in the $200+ range.

Most of the ones I want would fall in that price range, which is something I can rarely afford. Especially since the majority of my PAD/TAD money goes toward tobacco these days.

I do have my layaway plan at my local B&M, but Melvin doesn't carry very many high end pipes. The majority of what he has are in the $50-$200 range.

I do have a short list, but it might take me a few years to actually ad them to my collection.
Anyway, here they are;
A Dunhill blast of some sort, preferably either a Billiard, a Bulldog, or a Diplomat.
An Askwith Morta, preferably a Billiard, Dublin, or Bulldog.
A Rad Davis blasted Eskimo (I know of at least one that he's done, and it was amazing!)
A Rad Davis blasted Billiard.
A Castello Sea Rock Billiard.
And something in a true Horn shape, as well as a Cutty minus the foot.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have rather low expectations.

I'd like a Brigham at some time.

Sure a birth year Dunhill would be nice, or any Dunhill for that matter.

And flakyjakey, last time I "took hold o' myself", I had a pretty good time!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hmm
A morta

A reverse calabash

Probably more Jerry Crawford pipes

The Pipe Rack has an awesome Radice faux bamboo plateau topped stack that is to die for. Only 42g in weight, awesome sandblast.

A Linder blast

A Tinsky blast
I have 50 pipes of which 48 VA/Vaper pipes and 2 English pipes.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I would like to finish cleaning up or refurbing about half a dozen I already have; a nordcoat, digby fullbent blast, Yellow bowl chesterfield style, a couple yellow bole "the Pocket" oval bowls, Ace of spades zulu, early kaywoodie flame grane, Yellow bowl bamboo, Saseini Old England-needs a stem. The pipe that I want that I don't have is a birth year (1982) pipe that isn't a Dunhill, probably end up being a christmas pipe or pipe of the year.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I never thought about a birth year pipe... I've always wanted a birth year black telecaster, so I understand the birth year connection for collectors... It soothes our OCD

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Though I feel that my collection is complete, there are always pipes that I could consider at some unnamed future date:

1. Barling Pre-Transition cased companion set in excellent condition from either 1915 (my father's birth year) or 1919 (my mother's birth year)

2. Cooke billiard, Canadian, or calabash shape

3. 1880's BBB with Barling sterling mounts, preferably a magnum

4. Talbert Halloween

5. Rad Davis - with all of the favorable comment, I'm curious to try one

6. Barling library pipe

7. Joåo Reis

8. Michael Parks

9. Kaywoodie - Pre_1929 in excellent condition, preferably without a stinger, or wintube

10. Barling Trotube.

11. Tom Eltang - sun grade, maybe an eskimo shape. Love the high contrast birdseye!
And if I never acquire any of these, it will be just fine. I own some nice pipes as it is.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I have wanted one of those "bamboo" shank Dunhills...preferably my birth year and then a Joe Case pipe...I absolutely love his "Mad Hatter" but far too expensive for me right now :/

Status
Not open for further replies.