Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

If Only I Had This Pipe, My Collection Would Be Complete

(26 posts)
  1. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't need any more pipes. I already have more than I can smoke. HOWEVER, I really want the following to complete my collection:

A chunky vintage Tom Howard

A Savinelli 320 or another nice author shape

A birth year Dunhill

A Peterson System pipe

A Canadian or Lumberman

The only reason I want them is because I don't have them represented in my collection, and once I acquire them, I'll sure I'll need more.

What pipes are on your list, and why?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You just need to control yourself, get a grip, take a hold o' yoursel' (as we say in Scotland) like I have done. I've only bought 7 pipes in the last month. One day at a time..........

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have a birth year Dunhill, 8 Canadians (love the look) plus the Savinelli in question and a Pete System. Good choices all.

My dream is to have a pre republic Pete - Canadian or Lumberman

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only bought 7 pipes in the last month. One day at a time..........

That's the embodiment of restraint, that is.

Ok. I'll bite.

A birth-year Dunhill Shell Briar Canadian
    A birth-year Dunhill Shell Briar Bent Bulldog
    A Michael Parks blasted, pencil shanked, Canadian (group 4ish)
    A Michael Parks blasted, Bent Bulldog
    A Trevor Talbert Ligne Bretagne Collector grade Bulldog
    A Rad Davis blasted Canadian
    A pre-war Barling in good condition
    A pre-Cadogan Comoy Blue Riband, preferably a bulldog/rhodesian
    A pre-war Sasieni 8 Dot, preferably a Canadian or billiard

Yeah... I have a ways to go...

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a number of artisan pipes I dote on, but don't really expect to buy. It's just not part of my
    budget or hobby to drop some hundreds on one pipe, though I'm supportive of those who do. It keeps
    the hobby going. The potential pipes I'm warding off right now are a particularly fetching zulu, of which
    I already have two fine examples; a panel to replace one that just never worked out, had a plastic-ish
    finish; and a really low end but strikingly shaped Dublin. I own two pipes that I haven't even smoked
    yet, but like a lot. Perhaps I can content myself with a tin or two of newly available blends, among the
    six or eight I'm tempted to order. I don't want this pipe interest to be mostly about buying stuff.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Pruss - very funny, actually it was:

- A Dunhill DR straight billiard
    - A Barling pre-transition straight billiard (from reborn)
    - A Dunhill Dress bent billiard (from reborn)
    - A Peterson Patent System (from reborn - I'm keeping his freakin' business solvent!!)
    - A Loewe 'Haymarket era' straight billiard
    - An Upshall P-grade pot

So far!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Lee von Erck Twisted Panel
    A Brad Pohlmann Blasted Bent Bulldog
    An Adam Davidson Volcano
    A Julius Vesz Rain Drop "D"

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right... thanks to kcghost for reminding me about...

A Lee Von Erck smooth AA grade bent
    A J.T. Cooke OKF Bulldog/Rhodesian in black

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't mind a birth year Dunhill. I would also like to get a relatively pristine 2006 Dunhill, my sons birth year, to put away for when he is older.

Past that, I'm not too sure, at least one morta, I suppose.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Complete? Never. Here are some brands on my list that I've not tried yet, no shapes in particular in mind. I also don't know if I care since pipes can really only smoke so differently, IMO once you get to a certain level it doesn't really matter what's stamped on it so long as it's comfortable:

Bonacquisti
    Ardor
    Cavicchi
    Don Carlos
    Mastro de Paja
    Posella
    L'Anatra
    Axel Glasner
    Dunhill 1983 - canadian or apple shape
    Tom Eltang Ukelele
    Larry Roush

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Past that, I'm not too sure, at least one morta, I suppose.

Blast! Now I need to add another pipe to my list...

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think of collecting as being something that could ever be complete. New styles will develop, and new artists will rise to the top. I have my rotation, and I am happy with it. Now, I am just saving to buy a new high end artisan pipe occasionally. That may slow me down to four pipes a year, but... this is just to satisfy my own desire. Currently, I am saving for one of Becker's strawberry lovats. After that, well, I haven't decided.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Each time I open an email from Smokingpipes.com, or get an update from Joe Case, or see a snazzy pipe in a Kevin Costner movie, I think: that would finish off my collection! Fact is, I want to add about 30 more pipes to my collection, and see another one every day I would like to get. Some weeks I hunger for different stems, sometimes I want a new shape, or a different bowl material. I have 87 pipes already, have given away over 2 dozen, and lost or tossed out about a dozen broken pipes over the years. PAD is incurable, my friends,
    But then again, maybe I will stop if I pick up a Rad Davis....

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've pretty much decided to have 3 pipes from every country of note for their pipes and I just seem to try and figure out which 3 I like the best. I currently have no English pipes as I'll just need to find Dunhills I'm sure. Given how much I enjoy my Italian pipes I'm sure I'll change this to 7 day sets.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I have over 50 pipes in my collection, only a couple are in the $200+ range.
    Most of the ones I want would fall in that price range, which is something I can rarely afford. Especially since the majority of my PAD/TAD money goes toward tobacco these days.
    I do have my layaway plan at my local B&M, but Melvin doesn't carry very many high end pipes. The majority of what he has are in the $50-$200 range.
    I do have a short list, but it might take me a few years to actually ad them to my collection.

Anyway, here they are;

A Dunhill blast of some sort, preferably either a Billiard, a Bulldog, or a Diplomat.

An Askwith Morta, preferably a Billiard, Dublin, or Bulldog.

A Rad Davis blasted Eskimo (I know of at least one that he's done, and it was amazing!)

A Rad Davis blasted Billiard.

A Castello Sea Rock Billiard.

And something in a true Horn shape, as well as a Cutty minus the foot.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have rather low expectations.
    I'd like a Brigham at some time.
    Sure a birth year Dunhill would be nice, or any Dunhill for that matter.
    And flakyjakey, last time I "took hold o' myself", I had a pretty good time!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm

A morta
    A reverse calabash
    Probably more Jerry Crawford pipes
    The Pipe Rack has an awesome Radice faux bamboo plateau topped stack that is to die for. Only 42g in weight, awesome sandblast.
    A Linder blast
    A Tinsky blast

I have 50 pipes of which 48 VA/Vaper pipes and 2 English pipes.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would like to finish cleaning up or refurbing about half a dozen I already have; a nordcoat, digby fullbent blast, Yellow bowl chesterfield style, a couple yellow bole "the Pocket" oval bowls, Ace of spades zulu, early kaywoodie flame grane, Yellow bowl bamboo, Saseini Old England-needs a stem. The pipe that I want that I don't have is a birth year (1982) pipe that isn't a Dunhill, probably end up being a christmas pipe or pipe of the year.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. ithelouniverse

ithelouniverse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never thought about a birth year pipe... I've always wanted a birth year black telecaster, so I understand the birth year connection for collectors... It soothes our OCD

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Though I feel that my collection is complete, there are always pipes that I could consider at some unnamed future date:
    1. Barling Pre-Transition cased companion set in excellent condition from either 1915 (my father's birth year) or 1919 (my mother's birth year)
    2. Cooke billiard, Canadian, or calabash shape
    3. 1880's BBB with Barling sterling mounts, preferably a magnum
    4. Talbert Halloween
    5. Rad Davis - with all of the favorable comment, I'm curious to try one
    6. Barling library pipe
    7. Joåo Reis
    8. Michael Parks
    9. Kaywoodie - Pre_1929 in excellent condition, preferably without a stinger, or wintube
    10. Barling Trotube.
    11. Tom Eltang - sun grade, maybe an eskimo shape. Love the high contrast birdseye!

And if I never acquire any of these, it will be just fine. I own some nice pipes as it is.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I want that Talbert morta that fishnbanjo caught a little while ago. Crazy good blast on that one. If you're reading this fish, my birthday is October 23rd.

I have a hankering for an Eltang contrast stain.

I'm really a sucker for old pipes. Somewhere out there is a pre-trans Barling with my name on it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

flipflopsandshades

Login to Send PM

I have wanted one of those "bamboo" shank Dunhills...preferably my birth year and then a Joe Case pipe...I absolutely love his "Mad Hatter" but far too expensive for me right now :/

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

I have a double-edged razor collection, a straight razor collection, a hat collection, a watch collection, a knife collection, a pipe collection, a jewellery collection and the beginnings of a Zippo collection. If you have the collector's mindset, the only way to stop it in my experience, is to stop visiting the relevant forum!
    About a year after leaving a watch forum I went back to see what was being discussed. It was, sadly, almost exactly the same ten topics which had seemed very important to me at the time I was constantly mulling over my next horological purchase. While I still love watches and still own more than 15 and still enjoy the ones I have, I now have a bit of perspective and it matters a lot less to me than it did a couple of years ago.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. jonasclark

jonasclark

Login to Send PM

A "College pipe." I don't remember where I heard that these were (one of the) style in 1920s Collegiate garb, but then I got a reprint of a 1908 Sears catalog which shows one and has "College style" printed beside it.

I'll have to describe it. Full bent briar or meerschaum. Egg bowl. Square or (sometimes) diamond shank with plain metal band. Amber stem. VERY, VERY small pipe. Preferred with original amber or a good-looking replacement. Needn't have a case. I'll likely not find one in my price range any time soon.

Also---
    From the 1908 Missouri Meerschaum catalog: The "fancy models" Tibbe's Nos. 1, 100, 2, 2 1/2, 6, and any of the cigar holders actually made of cob (some had a wooden mouthpiece, others had a metal ferrule and a rubber, bone or plastic bit). MM has a number of the wood-and-cob ones in its no-longer-open museum, but I've asked Marilyn and the owners would not sell me one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First and foremost a 1963 Dunhill birthday pipe. I'm OLD! I have about 50 pipes in my collection and I don't think collections can ever be complete? We are constantly collecting. My expectations are not as high when it comes to pipes as it is for other things but I'd really like to have a nice high-end bamboo shank pipe. Also, I need a nice quality Calabash to complete my collection.

Perhaps something on this order..

Tsuge Ikebana, Smooth Dublin with Bamboo

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee

All you guys are so specific. You all seem to know exactly what you want for your collections.

I have about 20 pipes now, but every one is a keeper except an Italian which has an acrylic stem. This one is going to be traded at the Chicago pipe show.

I am enjoying the search for American Artisans who take personal pride in their work. When I'm looking it has to be:

bent
    light weight- 35 to max 60 grams
    excellent stem work including button
    excellent drilling
    excellent flow
    Did I mention that it has to be bent?

Oh, and maybe a Becker pipe, bent of ccourse.

I used to care that the pipes were polished, but now I realize I'm unwilling to spend the extra $$ to have that finish. I'd rather have a great pipe that is blasted or rusticated.

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, derhammer, dino, chefbenny