PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since my pipes mostly range from slightly to extremely used, I sometimes look at them as if they were estate pipes. How would they be described? Just a few unsmoked, and those not for long. Replacement stems only on several MM cobs. No repairs or added bands. Some with charring on the brim. The most common wear is chatter on the bits, on nearly all of the Vulcanite and a few acrylic stems. Some oxidation on the older pipes, but not gross, well polished if not completely polished off. A few pipes with conspicuous fills. Just two or three with any kind of nicks or bumps, and you have to look closely. Nearly all "quite clean," as SP says. No ream damage because no reamer use, and carbon layers but no cake at all. All in all, many years of smoking left in them individually and collectively. What's the state of your "estates?"

May 4, 2015
My "estates" are comprised of tens of dollars worth of MM Cobs! And one sterling-silver banded '76 Peterson Block Meer that's probably worth about as much.
That is a neat thought experiment though. If your pipes were on Ebay.....

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My late collection is almost all estate pipes. I seldom if ever buy anything new. Most were reconditioned to as close to new as my skill set allowed. For the most part they are all in pretty good shape and they are kept that way. My early collection was just the opposite. All new and although they show the signs of being used they too remain in pretty good shape. For me it's easy as I enjoy reconditioning pipes. If there is a short coming it's darkening around the rim but I don't mind a little "character". My philosophy has always been if you want pipes that look new, don't smoke them. Mine are lovingly used but never abused.

Jan 8, 2013
As soon as I smoke a pipe I twist a paper towel into the chamber and run a couple pipe cleaners through the stem. Before returning the pipe to the rack, I wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. Even the pipes I tend to smoke most often look pretty much as they did when brand new.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My estate would also read well used but well cared for. They always get a good cleaning and wipe down before being placed back in the rack. No cake build up either as I swab the bowl thoroughly with a twisted up paper towel after each smoke. Smoked but rather clean would pretty much describe them all. :puffy:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Except for a couple of pipes that were cobbled back together ( one with a cracked bowl, the other with a replacement stem made by yours truly from a highly modified blank ) , my collection is a solid overall 4.85/5 "inherent minor rim darkening from being smoked more than a handful of times". I don't chew or clench in my teeth, but there's slobber that gets wiped off periodically from the buttons. Even my swimming pool/beach pipe looks decent, but it sports an acrylic stem.....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If "estate pipe" is a euphemistic for a used pipe mine no doubt will qualify after my demise.
My pipes are indeed in a reasonable condition so that they could be sold at an "estate auction." I doubt that any would attract a bid singly or if offered as a group. There is a "head" store in town that does sell used tobacco pipes and a handful of blends. The owner might offer $50.00 for the lot.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Clean, minor rim darkening, some tooth chatter.
I have one pipe, my favorite- a Mastro de Paja 1/8 bent billiard with a great sandblast....that has a hole in the stem. Can't bring myself to restem it. My lips pretty much occlude the hole.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I treat my estates like my rods, firearms, paint brushes, etc, used but in as good a shape as I can. I have not let their care keep them from being enjoyed, but with respect. That is why they make cobs. :D

Mar 30, 2014
wv
The pipes I've bought new still look great. I've never understood why someone would spend hundreds of dollars on a pipe and then beat it up. Simple maintenance will keep a pipe in good shape. I use a pipe cleaner and paper towel to wipe out the bowl after each use. A brief wipe down with a microfiber rag after smoking keeps them looking good for years.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have bought at least 12 Estate pipes over the years all from smokingpipes.com. Every Estate pipe has come looking almost new. Most of these Estates pipes have become some of my favorites.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have few pipes that I smoke enough to damage, but I don't in any event. I wipe them down, and run a cleaner through them. I also clean them out.
My issue is stems. I need to get some magic sponges and/or obsidian oil and get to crackin on some that are beginning to oxidize. I have so many pipes and I am trying to get retired out of the military my time is often taken by other things.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Sorry, Tom.

I use them for all the places and conditions that I would not want to risk one of my briars on. I like them but to me they can be an expendable at far less the aggravation of a briar. Hot glove boxes, on the water, in an old tackle box, near my x, I leave a trail of them. My only concern when traveling, which I do frequently, is did I leave my baccy :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.