Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
We all know that Dunhill is a very conservative company, and they make only three shapes. But I have three Bruyeres that I've been unable to find on any Dunhill chart. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer in identifying the shapes of the following pipes, numbered 1,2 and 3.

Herewith #1:

ravkesef
[/url][/img]
And #2:

ravkesef
[/url][/img]
And, #3

ravkesef
[/url][/img]

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm guessing it's sometime in the 80s. They originally belonged to my mother's cousin who died 5 years ago at the age of 87, and his son gave them to me. He got them at the Dunhill shop in Houston, and it's been closed for a few years.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Well, the pipes should be marked specifically with regard to dating. Check the guide to dating at pipedia. Any shape numbers? As a general comment, if they are from the '80's, it wouldn't surprise me if Dunhill experimented with non-traditional shapes. What are the specific markings?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Date marking rubbed off on #1, #2 is 1980, and #3 is 1979. There are no shape numbers, and I have been unable to find these 3 particular shapes on any Dunhill chart I've seen. Hoping a forum member may recognize them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy at all, but just by shape, I'd call them a volcano (with a jazzy brim), an acorn (not quite wide enough

at the top for an egg), and a prince that is nearly a pot. They are each unusual in a sense. Somewhere there's an old

Dunhill designer/carver who knows the story behind these, and I bet it's interesting.

Aug 14, 2012
They make a certain number of freehands, which do not have a shape number. I believe that is what these are.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dunhill certainly made more than 3 shapes for sure. They had a history of creating a wide assortment of "one offs" such as the OD's of the 1920's and '30's. In the late "70's thru early '80's they produced a number of specialty shapes. My late father-in-law had a huge collection of Dunhills with an number of quaints/freehands included. One of his pipes appears on the cover of R. C. Hacker's The Ultimate Pipe Book in the lower left hand corner. It's the root briar with the cats eye coronet shaped gold windscreen. Being speciality shapes, they won't have model numbers. I couldn't find any equivalents for these on line, but the first one does remind me of a riff on the original windscreen pipe with the raised rim.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sablebrush52, your late father-in-laws collection sounds impressive. Did you inherit any of his pipes,

or help the estate sell them?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Soymilk hit the nail on the head. The shapes are what Dunhill calls "Quaints," I.e. The craftsmen were given leave to depart from dunhill's traditional shapes, and follow what they saw in the wood. Thanks to dcmmtk who put me in touch with Zia Fernandez-Ibarreche, curator of the Dunhill Museum-Archives, who had the precise information right at hand. Mystery solved!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Glad to be of help, great to get the information right from the source.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.