PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Wow,

that's cool.
I like how they break down the different curing woods.
I think I need a "headspace analysis" myself!

:lol:
I remember seeing that term in some old Imperial company scientific studies,

amazing how the aroma is taken into such consideration.
Neat stuff,

thanks for sharing.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Of course it's common knowledge that the primary differences between Cyprian and Syrian Latakia are that there is twice as much beta-angelicalactoneb (5-Methyl-2(5H)-furanone) in Cyprian Latakia than in the Syrian, and three times as much 6-Methylhept-5-en-2-oneb in the Syrian Latakia as in the Cyrpian. :wink: Makes all the difference!

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
6,7-Dihydro-5H-cyclopentapyrazine?!?!?
Holy cr_p - and all this time I thought I was smoking 6,7-Dihydro-5H-cycloHEXapyrazine! That's it, I'm done with Lat - nothing but M79 from now to forever!

kairos

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
Good grief.
It would be interesting to know who solicited and funded this ridiculous piece of chemical analysis, and the total cost of having the analysis completed. Seriously, who could possibly give a damn about the results of such a report? Not to mention that the analysis was conducted on a single sample of Cyprian Latakia, and no two samples would be likely to produce identical results.
If this is an example of the type of analysis that the FDA wants to impose on post-2007 pipe tobacco blends, then there is not a tobacco pouch or tin large enough to hold the label that would be needed to display the chemical breakdown for "consumer awareness" purposes. Who would ever read it anyway?
What an extraordinary waste of time and money, especially if this analysis was funded by tax dollars via the FDA (or some other U.S. government entity).

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Kairos, you are jumping to conclusions based on unfounded speculation. A perusal of the study indicates that one of the principals works for Mane SA. A quick Google search reveals that Mane is a Swiss producer of flavorings and fragrances. Further reading shows that the Latakia sample was tendered by Brown and Williamson. If you want to extrapolate further, I'd say that it is a safe bet that B&W is looking to produce a synthetic Latakia essence. This would be a very valuable product, and it looks like Mane is the company to do it.
Conlejm, a great find! How did you come across this?

I ordered a French latakia cologne just to see what it smelled like. It was interesting, but definitely not a man's cologne, which makes sense. If a girl wants to attract a guy, she's better off wearing something that we find attractive. Leave off the flowery crap, and wear latakia... or the scent of freshly mowed grass, new leather, or just wear a grilled steak around your neck, ha ha!!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Conlejm, a great find! How did you come across this?
I have become inspired by @misterlowercase's substantive posts. Sometimes while waiting for my SAS programs to run (health care data mining) I just google whatever comes to mind. This is one of those instances where I found something interesting.
I wonder what an oak log's composition is when burnt. I bet many of the same compounds would be found as in the latakia. The reason why I posit this is because I burn through four or five chords of wood each year, but I only burn through less than ten pounds of tobacco each year. Which do you think causes more of these toxic substances to be released? I am sure my home in the winter time has this stuff floating around in the air from burning in my woodstove. I wonder if the FDA will limit wood burning some day.

May 31, 2012
:D

Awesome!
Random googling will uncover hidden secrets!
That Leffingwell site is chockfull of odd olfactory observations and other items of interest to a keenly interested tobacconista...a neat find!
Tobacco related - exciting descriptions regarding the aromatic properties of carotenoid degradation.

http://www.leffingwell.com/tob.htm
Firecured?

We can smell it, taste it, and smoke the hell outta it!

http://www.leffingwell.com/firecured.htm
...a massive compilation of links there, though many are outdated,

I really really wanted to read The Art of Sniffing, but alas it was 404.

:)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Amazing stuff. And all along I thought I was just smoking a tobacco that I liked. Now, when I smoke so bowl, do I need to pick out the individual congeners, or can I say that that sometimes a tobacco is just a tobacco. BTW, wonder what the frog would say about that?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Your surmise about Mane is correct. They already make an artificial Perique flavoring, so a Latakia-based flavoring would be a logical step. They're also one of the companies that developed the Tonquin analog that removed the coumarin while keeping the aroma the same.

But after looking at the laundry list of constituent components, you didn't find propylene glycol in Latakia, did you? (snort)

BTW, did you notice that nicotine was such a small component that it was listed as "trace"?
Russ

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
But after looking at the laundry list of constituent components, you didn't find propylene glycol in Latakia, did you? (snort)
Gee, based on a previous thread, I thought all you artisan blenders poured PG into the tins like milk on cereal :wink:
Anyway, I can't wait for Jiminks reviews that address the fruity, floral with apple, plum-raisin, tea, rose, tobacco note of beta-Damascenone, and the green, grassy, hay-like flavor of the beta Cyclocitral, and the sweet, floral notes of the 3-Oxo-alpha-Ionone. :lol:
You can read all about it here: Tobacco Aroma Constituents

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Great find, thanks for posting!
This reminds me of a series of posts I read on a.s.p about a decade ago, in which a curious (or frugal) pipester wrote about his advancements on manufacturing "American latakia" from burley and Liquid Smoke. I'd link to the thread, but couldn't find it. Now when I think about it I might have imagined the whole thing.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The funny thing about the PG issue is that it's only one of about eight additives that can be used for the same purpose. Sometimes, what people identify as PG is something else entirely. If they didn't use some in the OTC tobaccos, the makers would probably get 10 to 20% returns because the tobacco that's been sitting on shelves for six months would be dry as corn flakes.

Flavorings are interesting. When companies make banana flavored products, they commonly use a petroleum product to achieve the flavor without using any banana at all.

And so it goes...
Russ

Aren't some fruit flavorings from muskrat or beaver asses? If you guys saw some of the grain bins that I've had to clean out back in my youth, you'd understand why and how rat shit and bug parts get in our foods. It's just impossible to keep them out. I think that I feel as safe (or safer) smoking some vegetation, as opposed to eating a bowl of rice and beans, ha ha!
And, once you break tomatoes and potatoes down into their chemical components, you'll find that there is nicotine in them along with a lot of other deadly poisons. You shouldn't even eat strawberries. Too many of those will kill you, but that's true of most things. Moderation is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.