PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I want to try and get the inside of a mortise/shank down to bare briar. What thoughts, ideas, and what has worked for you in the past. I would prefer not to drill.
Thanks for any input.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Shank: alcohol and lots of bristle pipe cleaners

Mortice: alcohol and lots of Qtips
Don't over think it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 to Bigvan.
Might take some elbow greese but it'll get there eventually.
If you are looking to take the top layer of briar off then... scrape with a very small knife? lol
Be careful with knives!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Wait, we're talking about the shank and mortice, right? Sorry guys, but I would NEVER scrape off the "top layer" or ANY amount of briar from the mortice or shank. Or sand it with emory paper and a dowel. It could seriously affect the fit of the tenon, airflow, and/or overall smoking quality of the pipe.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It sure could. But he asked...
*High pitched drill sounds*
I wouldn't suggest using anything but pipe cleaners and Q-tips.
But I plead guilty to taking a knife to the mortise lol. The tenon was a tight fit... sue me. :oops:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Bigvan is right. I never modified a pipe than didn't end up in the garbage. :crying:

Fortunately, I learned this humbling lesson on Medicos and basket pipes.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Well you would never do it to a Ben Wade or anything in that quality. But when you got to make the adjustments you do what you got to do on the cheap pipes.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for all the replies - the Q-tip did just fine. I bought an estate Peterson and noticed some stain that I didnt want to smoke. :) I didn't realize that a Q-tip would work. Still learning after all these years.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just replaced the mortise and tenon both in my Meer. The tenon was old and damaged and the mortise had cracked, due to being mis-matched with the tenon. As Fred once pointed out, you should always replace both at the same time. I didn't do that, so I ended up with a busted mortise.
I had to put the stem in the freezer to get the old tenon off and then I cleaned both the shank and stem with Q-Tips, 50 proof vodka and bristle cleaners. I put some beeswax on the threads of the new parts, screwed them in and it was perfect. No fuss!
I bought the push-pull mortise and tenon from Pipe Maker's Emporium and they were only $10.20 for a dozen! They were good quality and shipped fast! Great people to deal with!

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
1. Rubbing alcohol for a cleaning solution;

2. Q-Tips for application and scrubbing

3. Blunt side of a BBQ Skewer + old T-Shirt to get into the shank and collect all the loose goop. Put the skewer into one layer of T-shirt, carefully push the skewer into the shank, and gently rotate to collect the goop

4. Rinse and repeat
Works like a charm. Just go easy and don't use too much fabric. Too much friction and pressure can pop a shank off in a heartbeat.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I keep meaning to order the pipe cleaners from SmokingPipes that come with a shank brush, but I always manage to forget... /sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.