PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmack09

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
Hello,
My name is JD and I would like to begin my adventure of pipe smoking. I have smoked a friends pipe once, and I have found it much more flavorful, smooth, relaxing, and enjoyable then smoking a cigarette. Obviously now I want to start and venture off on my own.
I have been looking at many pipes and finally settled on a Sandblast Bent Egg Briar wood pipe as my first pipe(Here) Would this be a good pipe for a first time pipe smoker? Also, I already know I would like to smoke more then once a day, so I was looking at these Corn Cob Pipes to smoke during the day, and smoke the Briar in the evening to help me relax from work. Would these Corn Cob pipes be good for a starter, or even recommended for starters? Would I be better of getting a couple of Briars?
Everywhere I read for cleaning and care it's always pipe cleaners. I get in order to have a good smoke you need to cool and clean then bowl after every smoke, but what about farther cleaning? When would you need to clean your pipe more thoroughly? Also, what are some good way to keep the pipe looking new on the outside?
There are many choices for Pipe Tobacco, and I have finally settled on two that I would like to try. They are from Russ' monthly blend, and they are "Snow Drift" and "Yule Log". These two sound very appealing to me, but are they good starting points for a beginner? What are some other suggestions of Tobacco for a beginner? What are some of your personal favorites?
What are som e good hints, tips and tricks for packing a pipe?
Also, any other information, hints, tips, and tricks to get more enjoyment out of Pipe smoking would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,

JD

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome JD!
I think you're on the right track in your thinking. Personally I would skip the $25 briar and save for a better pipe. I don't know Capri pipes, but I have doubts that it will perform well (that said, $25 is a low risk, so up to you, you could get lucky).
Consider a new Stanwell for around $100-125. In the meantime, a MM cob will get you started very inexpensively.
As for tobaccos, I would recommend 1Q and Frog Morton Cellar. The former is an aromatic (very popular) and the second is a non-aromatic blend that most here rave about (incl. me). These 2 would (I believe) be an excellent introduction into pipe tobacco.
As for packing a pipe - there are plenty of good videos out there, plus search the forum and Google for tips. It can be tricky in the beginning, but it's worth the effort. Good luck to you!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
JD, Welcome to Forums. Take advantage of the video at the pipesmagazine home page on packing a pipe and other

information on starting out. There's a lot to learn, but the basics are something you can pick up quickly. numbersix,

I just saw Capri's at the TAPS pipe show, and they are a low-end but acceptable briars. I think JD would do okay with

that. However, JD, remember, most pipes last a long time, so you want pipes you will be happy with for years. Again,

JD, welcome aboard. I second number six on 1Q and Frog Morton Cellar, and maybe also Lane's LL-7 and Altadis

Casanova or Queen Anne's Revenge, all tasty but mild blends, good for starting out.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Welcome JD. Both prior posts are right on the money. And I commend you for asking questions and researching before heading off and just buying any old pipe and tobacco. You will likely find some of the techniques frustrating at first (packing the pipe correctly, charring light, relights, slow puffing instead of smoking like a chimney, etc), but do not give up. The more you smoke, read, study, and try again, the better you become and the smoke becomes more enjoyable and relaxing. And as always, never be afraid to ask any and all questions. There are countless years of experience lurking in this forum and you will find that most are willing to bend over backwards to help (me included). Even after smoking for years, I still find new techniques and tricks here that make my smoking more enjoyable.
Happy puffing! :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
I will second pretty much everything numbersix already said. I know $100 can seem like an investment, but you really can't go wrong with a Stanwell. 4Noggins has a few of the Silke Brun line for around $88. I have one, it was my second pipe, and it has been smoked pretty much daily for over a year.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just saw Capri's at the TAPS pipe show, and they are a low-end but acceptable briars.
Thanks mso - good to know. I will admit that I got lucky with a cheap $35 Czech briar - not a bad smoker, so you never know.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome JD,
You definitely came to the right place for help on your new journey. Now that I have been doing this for a year I feel that I have some experience and input for someone like yourself.
1. I have to agree with numbersix and mso when it comes to pipes. I bought a few "cheaper" pipes when I started and I can tell you once I started hitting this thing full on and buying better pipes that I now neglect those lower end pipes. I would suggest buying 4 Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs and if you have to have a briar something like this may be a good start: Brigham Chinook Saucer. It is $88 dollars and has turned out to be one of my favorite pipes.
2. Suggesting tobacco is tough because I am not sure what your tastes are like. A LOT of people start with the Lane 1Q (myself included) but having been a maduro cigar smoker I found that once I discovered English, Oriental, and dark flake I quickly abandoned the aromatics.
Good luck in your journey and let us know what you decide.
Cheers,
Dan

jdmack09

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
Thank you all for The advice. Maybe not a $100 dollar pipe but I did Find I Stanwell I liked, after reading through the posts, for closer to $65. ( Here ). Would this be a better choice? I have also added 2oz of the Tobaccos recomended to my purchasing list to see if I like them, and if I do I will certianly buy more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the Stanwell Relief line, but it looks like a good pipe at a good price. One thing to notice,

this is a filter pipe. These are especially popular in Europe, especially the 9 mm filters. Non-filtered

pipes seem to be most popular in the U.S., and among filtered pipe smokers, in the U.S., most are

6 mm Dr. Grabow or Medico filters which are interchangeable, or the Savenelli balsa filters. It might be

easiest to start out with a non-filtered pipe. You can smoke filter pipes without the filters. In fact,

most Savenelli pipes have an adaptor for the purpose. But for simplicity, you might want a non-filter

pipe as a first briar pipe. You can try an inexpensive Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe with a filter

to see how you like filters. Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion corncob pipes are a good way to

start with pipes, until you decide on a briar.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
The above points hit pretty much everything you've asked. I would like to add that you may also want to consider looking at estate (preowned pipes) on eBay. You can get good deals there. I would also check here and eBay for Trypis pipes. They are really well made, and usually sell for about $20-45. My 2 cents.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Welcome to the pipe hobby JD. As many have said before, the MM Cobs are an excellent way to start. I have several. They are really good to keep around, especially for trying new tobaccos. I usually purchase one everytime I get a new tobac to try. The Cob is also my 'at work' pipe. I also have several briars. A good pipe to look into are the Erik Nording freehand pipes. Most of them are either right at or less than $100, plus they are outstanding pipes. As for tobaccos, it looks like your are going to be into aromatics (I have some of the snow drift and it's pretty good). With aromatics in mind, I would suggest you give Molto Dolce of Sutliff Privite Stock a try (found here: Molto Dolce) and the McClelland No. 401 "Darkest Caramel" (found here: Darkest Caramel). Again welcome and good luck.

jdmack09

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
It looks like for now i'll go with the MM Cob pipes, so I can save up and get a better quality Briar Pipe. Also I'd hate to ruin the top of a bowl of a great looking pipe from improperly lighting it. Thank you all so much for your help. I'll be sure to post here again asking questions.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
+1 on the Nording's, sean. I was going to say low end Brigham's are excellent for the $$$$ but the rock maple inserts can be a deterrent for a new piper as they are just another step in an already confusing process (again, confusing for a newbie). My first decent pipe after MM was a Peterson Shannon, which was around $88. It smokes great and looks great and i still smoke it from time to time. I would not suggest a pipe with a filter for a new pipe smoker though, just MHO on the subject.
Dan, i basically mirror your experience and tastes starting off and it took me 1 tin of aromatics before moving on to the heavier stuff trying to simulate the maduro taste and nic punch. I then went to ropes, dark birds eye, irish flake (my fav), ODF, etc. I still like trying as many new blends as possible to find new stuff to throw in the rotation. Bottom line is that i think it takes quite a while to really figure out what you like and there are so many blends out there that this is constantly changing with adding new blends to your rotation, at least in my experiences. I am still discovering new nuances and flavors with stuff i have already smoked and revisit, as well as finding new blends i never knew about which offer something that really piques my pallete.
JD, do yourself a favor and listen to these guys and gals on the forum. There is so much knowledge here it is insane. The best thing is that everyone has their own opinions and thoughts on what they prefer, but at the same time respecting the next brother of the briar for their own tastes. The generosity and fellowship between members on here is nothing short of amazing, as well. Filter out what is relevant and works for you and discard what does not, pretty simple. It is mostly trial and error with pipe smoking, and everyone has their own journey to achieve blissful pipe smoking zen. Good luck, my friend!
P.S.- There are no stupid questions, so ask away, the worst thing that can happen is sarcasm.

jdmack09

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
Here's A list of what I went with to Start:
4 MM Pride Bent Cobs

150 Pipe Cleaners

3 3 in 1 Pipe tools (I have a bad habit of losing small items like this)

2oz of Russ' Snow Drift

2oz of Russ' Yule Log

2oz of Russ' Cinnamon Roll

2oz of Lane 1Q

2oz of McClelland No. 401 Darkest Caramel

1.76oz tin of Peterson Irish Whiskey
Is there anything I forgot or something that I should add to this little "Starter Kit"?
I'm also going to wait another month or so to get a good Briar Wood pipe, since by then i'll be able to spend 80+ on a pipe. Any more Beginner Pipe suggestions would be great, and so would favored Tobaccos.
Thank you all again for all of your help.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Not too much I feel qualified to add to what's already been said except to say welcome to the fold DJ! The USA cob recommendations I'm in total agreement with especially if your budget is tight. I know full well what that's like. You can and will learn the ins and outs of pipes and smoking them with your cobs and as you have so intelligently pointed out, you won't do any harm to a new briar that you've paid good money for but may not have enough knowledge yet to properly care for. Try as many samples from the different genres, English, Virginias, VaPers, Auros, etc. continue to devour the info available on this site and sometime soon you will experience that transcendent pipe smoking experience that will possibly change your life. I still remember the place, time of year and all the other details of the first time "I got" what this is all about. Good luck and I'll wait to see how things progress for you.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Welcome JD!
If you ever have the chance to attend a pipe show check it out. A good way to sample different tobaccos without having to buy a whole tin of something you might not be crazy about. Many, many, many cool pipes to look at too. Sure they look nice in pictures on the net but when you can eyeball them in person it will really get you going.
Wise move on the MM cob. They are great.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
All GREAT suggestions. Once you get started keep asking questions about your tobacco, packing/lighting style, etc. You will get more help than you want....TRUST ME. The guys and gals here are more than happy to share their experiences. I can't tell you how much this forum has reduced the steepness of my pipe smoking education learning curve.
Since I don't smoke aro's I may not have the best advice on flavors, but as you ask questions about it the guys that do smoke aro's will jump in a be able to provide apples to apples advice. You are in good hands JD.
Layinpipe - It's amazing how what you THINK you want can be on different spectrums from what you actually want or like ;)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Dan, absolutely true, especially with pipe tobacco. A lot of the time a tobacco tastes absolutely NOTHING like it smells out of the tin. I quickly learned this and to not "judge a book by its cover". Even to not judge after a first second or third bowl. It's crazy how some blends of tobacco can take numerous bowls to fully appreciate all the flavors and nuances found within. With cigars, i don't think there is quite the myriad of different flavors and nuances found within the tobacco. Now don't get me wrong, it is there and there are huge differences in one cigar to the next, even with one year of a production of a cigar to the next. But overall, i think there is more depth to pipe tobacco and more variety in blends. Just my 2 cents.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Thats a good starter kit JD. I might also suggest you find a fairly cheap pipe lighter. Pipes and Cigars have some that are pretty cheap (just under $10). I use a zippo pipe lighter. This is a good way for someone new to this hobby to ensure a good even light. Plus you can get the lighter fuel (both zippo and comporessed butane) at just about any retailer or hardware store. Also, with a lighter, you are far less likely to burn your fingers (unless you are using a bic...).

Status
Not open for further replies.