PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
As I understand it, Lakeland style tobaccos are call that because they come from the "lake" region or "lakeland" region of England. And are made partly or wholly by H&G/Samuel Gawith co. I also understand that the 'lakeland' taste is a potion that is fruity/floral/herby, some may say, "soapy".
What are a few I should try? I'm not a huge 'flake' fan, as I'm still learning how to deal with them. So, I guess I would try flake, but would rather have a ribbon.
My favorite tobaccos are Dunhill 965, bb1938, EM, Standard Mix, I also like SG Squadron Leader and Commonwealth. I do like a med/full flavored tobacco.
Thanks,

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I recently tried a Lakeland tobacco for the first time, GH Ennerdale flake. I can see how it is a love or hate tobacco. I found myself planted firmly on the love side. I plan on getting more tins of this and trying other Lakeland blends as well. Enjoy the adventure

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Do it in a corn-cob if you can.

Also Ennerdale and Coniston are both a fine choice for a starter

Dark flake too, as Cosmic mentioned, if you can handle the nicotine.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
These are all very good, the cut-plugs are more of a broken flake, so you will still probably want to rub them out. G&H only uses premium quality tobacco's, I know you're not a flake fan, but most of the really good Lakeland blends come in flake form IMO, just dry them properly and rub them out and they will smoke just like any other ready rubbed tobacco, except maybe with a little more flavor.

Good luck!
Coniston Cut Plug - Unscented
Bosun Cut Plug
Scotch Mixture
Glengarry Flake
Ennerdale Flake

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Grasmere Flake too. Strange stuff. As to flake Yoda, best you learn to love the stuff, flake is the way to go. More effort and worth it.

Jul 12, 2011
Well smoke in a cob to start, they will ghost the bowl..I use to like them..taste has changed and I don't like anymore- too floral and soapy for me now

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
My current lakeland smoke is a blend of 2/3 coniston cut plug and 1/3 grousemoor. The CCP has the standard lakeland flavors and loads of nicotine while the grousemoor adds even more complexity while reducing the strength of the CCP. CCP is like Ennerdale on steroids, more nicotine and more lakeland. Ennerdale is probably the quintessential lakeland tobacco so I suggest starting with that.
The soapyness that others report is really just a strong hit of the florals at 1st/2nd light and for me the soapyness goes away quickly.
To rub out flakes I just put about a bowls worth between my hands and roll the ball of tobacco around for about half a minute.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I had the same thought about trying a Lakeland. I have been on a tear lately trying everything I can lay my hands on. It seems like these days every blendis up in the air and it may come to pass that once it's gone... It's gone for good.

I ordered 4 ounces of G&H Bosun plug unscented and a tin of Bob's Chocolate flake. When I got the stuff the smell immediately put me off. I had bought an estate pipe a few years earlier and it had a ghost that made everything taste like cologne. I smoked about a pound of the heaviest Latakia I could find until it finally died down to a point to where the "beast" was only there at the bottom of the bowl. I finally got control of the ghost and then dropped the pipe and snapped the tenon. I figured that was a sign.

When I got the tobbaco I realized that Lakeland was the very beast I had been fighting.

I think that one day I will sacrifice a cob to see if it is worth it.... Maybe I'll crack the tin of Bob's and see if I can hack that one.

To me Condor does not have that Lakeland essence.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If you want a ribbon cut Lakeland floral tobacco blend the only one I can think of is SG Grousemoor Mixture... I love the stuff
Also, you've got to get into flake my man. Once you do go look at the ones Markthelad mentioned. Good stuff!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I also want to try a Lakeland and my objective is to get hold of some Condor Green. Problem is that I live in Canada.

A fellow forum member from Canada is my main source for Condor RR. He says he orders it from Switzerland, so I imagine that if you look hard enough you should be able to find a place to buy it from. I get it cheaper from him than anywhere else I've gotten it. I don't want to drop his name without his permission but I'm sure he would tell ya where he gets it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Another one that just "clicked" for me last night is GH&Co Kendal Flake is beautifully scented. Took awhile for me to figure it out but I am now a believer....

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
G+H rich dark honeydew is about the strongest imo. I have about a pound of it.

Ennerdale is another strong representation.

G+H make most of the Lakelands.

Peretti's "original" isn't as strong, but it's also a lakeland.
I would say Condor is not a lakeland. It's perhaps as divisive of a tobacco, but it's no Lakeland.
There's a member on these forums... Ben88? He's in Canada. He has like 10 pouches of the Condor RR he's looking to sell. He allowed me to buy 2.
I am a fan of Condor, but I say it's not one.
If you PM me, I can try to send you a small packet go RDH next time I hit the PO... It might be a week, it might be a month ;-)
Not sure, but I think Gallaher's used to make rich dark honeydew which was a lakeland.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Eh, as Condor is technically a lakeland,"
Condor is most definitely not a Lakeland blend (be it ready rubbed, flake or plug) technically or otherwise, it is made by Gallaher's in Ireland which is nowhere near the Lake District.
Yes it is a scented tobacco but not at all like the scented tobaccos of Kendal.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My grandmother's underpants is a great way to start.

I don't even wanna know how you know what your grannies underpants taste like.
ot sure, but I think Gallaher's used to make rich dark honeydew which was a lakeland.

While they share the same name, I have been told that RDH from GH is not meant to be the same blend. I got my stash from Mars Cigars and it came bone dry and that could be why mine is pretty much void of any flavor. Part of me wants to order more from a place that wouldn't send me garbage tobacco but I have a feeling it's pretty light and won't be to my tastes anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.