I want to identify this pipe from a PipeMagazine old article...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
My favorite pipes are very long stems, but not only churchwardens, and very light. Not easy to find. The one this guy is smoking is absolutely perfect. Anyone has an idea about which pipe might it be?

young-man-smoking-pipe.jpg

It is from this article:

Pipes Are For Anyone

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I know it isn't a pipe like this, but the shape reminds me of an antique clay pipe with bamboo stem that I have. Small bowl and long stem.
antiqueclaypipe.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I like a long, light and lithe pipe, but you are right Carlos, they are hard to find. The pipe in that picture is a perfect example, but I do not know who made it. I'm waiting for Captain Godbee our fearless leader to wade in here.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ lankfordjl: That is a beautiful pipe. Where did you acquire such a thing. I'm gathering that the use of the word antique in its description means that it is a one of a kind not to be found elsewhere?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
While not exact, it looks to be similar to a Peterson calabash churchwarden

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2209_234477705

or
a Butz-Choquin dublin churchwarden

002-010-0159.jpg

While both are close, neither is exact.
BTW, I'm in love with the Peterson above. The PAD itch may need to be scratched before the TAD itch...
-Jason

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Carlos, take a look to my Savinelli at this thread.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/estate-savinelli-partner-de-luxe-with-stem-extension

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Thank you Lordnoble and Hanymamdouh. But I think that those are actual 100% churchwardens. The one this guy is smoking is more like a kiseru, but with a bigger bowl for tobacco...
I think this guy's stem is maybe 17-19 cm, instead of the 25 or so of churchwardens...

It is also straight stem, which by the way, it must be the only straight item in the pic...
In any case, I really want that: A Kiseru-style pipe, modern style for pipe tobacco...

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Yep, it's a good looking pipe but I'm wondering if the shot was originally designed for a pipe smoking article or to sell that hybrid Emo-Hipster look.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@ ohin3 The bowl is from a clay mold. These were common in the late 1800s through the 1940s I believe. I don't know the age of this one. It's not a replica. I made the stem from bamboo cane like the photos that I have seen of the original pipes. These were cheap pipes sometimes used in trading with American Indians. This one smelled of PA when I cleaned out the cake.

Oh and original clay bowls like this one as well as replicas are on eBay. I think there is even a site that sells new complete pipes.
Sorry I got off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.