I Want A Meerschaum

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by undecagon
  • Latest reply from sfsteves
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the past few years, a friend and I have given each other pipes every year for our Birthdays. Well, I have wanted a meer for awhile, and decided this year, I'd get two in December, one for him on his Birthday, and one for someone to buy from me and give to me on Christmas (and if I can't convince anyone, I'll wrap it and give it to myself!).

My mind was entirely made up on Sunday with the Hell on Wheels premier. He and I spent a long time drooling over and discussing Bohannon's new meerschaum that he took from the dead guy's mouth. We agreed that it is the ideal shape. Looks like a good sitter, has a nice sized bowl, we liked the bend....it was just perfect!

I tried to upload a short YouTube so you could see this well, but it wasn't working, so here's a screenshot:

Now...in my search, I found this Altinok. It seems just right. Also, although super high (the main reason I'm not sure if any of this will work!), the price seems to be reasonable for a meer. Even after the $20 up charge for the black acrylic stem. However, I've done a lot of searching around and have a good mind to buy from Fikri Baki. But, he doesn't have that perfect shape ready to go on his site. Also, even though it says I can click on any pipe picture to see a detail page with more pics, size, and price...the detail pages seem to only include more pics. After more clicking, I found a couple that actually included the details, and they were all $250 +10 for shipping. I would assume he would have no problem doing a custom carving if I sent him some pictures and drawings, but does any one have any thought or idea as to how long that would take? And I guess it's probably a safe bet that a custom piece will be higher than the others at 250....

And lastly, my fall back plan. If I can't get that perfect sitter that we both really liked, I'll probably pick out two AND meers, because they are much more affordable. That does make me a little wary, though...what do you all know about these guys?

Thanks.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. roadqueen

roadqueen

Login to Send PM

Well, I don't know if you've looked at the Meerqueen store or not, but they have this one: null

Then if you feel like getting fancy, they have one of these: http://www.meerschaumstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CL117

I looked through only the classic shapes that they offer, seems that they have quite the selection.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. jerry

jerry

Login to Send PM

I have has nothing but positive experiences buying meerschaum pipes from Altinok and Deniz Ural, the fellow who sells Mr. Baki's pipes.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Baki, I know, is right up there as far as quality meers.

I'm surprised, though, that you haven't mentioned or considered MeerschaunStore.Com, a sponsor here. I don't own either this brand or a Baki, but if I were looking for a quality meerschaum, I'd check out what the latter maker can do for me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did look at MeerschaumStore.com - because they are a sponsor - but all I found was RoadQueen's first suggestion, which doesn't have enough of a bend for my liking. I did, however, recently see they have a "Design Your Own" Section, so I will probably send them an email to see what they can do for me. That being said...all three are still in the running. I'd be really swell to get input from anyone who owns 2/3 or 3/3 from MeerschaumStore, Altinok, and Baki.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. meerqueen

meerqueen

Login to Send PM

Hi Undecagon,

Please send us an email to support at meerschaumstore.com about your project then we would be happy to make your dream real

Regards,
    B.B

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

Meerschaum is some of the best smoking pipe material ever discovered. I use to smoke meer pipes far more than briar. Not so much anymore. They get scratched up far to easy , and they are too nice for me to bang up. You should do exactly as you plan you will not regret it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

dunno whether I had a bad meerschaum or what, but for me, a meerschaum produced a sort of "dusty" taste to the smoke which I found objectionable ... never did enjoy the one I had and I ended up giving it away.

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hugodrax, dmcmtk, jiminks