PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Fun stuff. I am out in the field today to sink a boat. The boat shop could not figure out why the boat sank. So I have to have them float the boat in the lake and I will be in it taking pictures to document where the water is coming in from while it sinks again. So the import question is should I be smoking my Butz Choquin Rocbrune 1704 with some Penzance or my Palm 111 with some Autumn Evening while I go down with the ship(boat)?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Given the nature of the exercise, you may want to go with a cigar. Choose the cigar based on the estimated time to submersion.

Jun 27, 2016
Sounds like an interesting assignment! I grew up around boats, spent a lot of time on boats. Long enough to know never to buy one myself. I've seen more than one guy drop a boat in the water only to realize that they forgot to put the transom plug in. That will sink a boat pretty quickly. We ran aground once in a very silty channel, whos bottom would shift around a lot, and so guess who got to ride home in the bilge, in order to make sure that the engine shaft seals weren't leaking. That will sink a boat pretty quickly too, and one of them actually was leaking! I would think that a boat shop would spot those two things very quickly, so it would be cool if you could tell us what happened in your case! :puffpipe:

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Why would you not pool that boat? Pull it from the water, do a hull integrity check, checking all of the obvious possible sources of water ingress.
We built our small research vessel to act as tender and shallow system boat to the primary vessel. We floated after initial hull build and then again after topping. How large is your vessel? And to answer your question, smoke a clay pipe or a cigar.

Jun 27, 2016
Bringing back some memories. The local bay inlet would sometimes develop a perpetual standing roller right in the middle of the channel. If the winds and tides were right, and if there was a storm surge or the moon was helping, it could get pretty big. Coming back in the inlet, guys would sometimes "surf" their boats in the trough to show off. This was always a bad idea. Sometimes that roller would break, and if someone was there, it would break right over the stern. Boats would get swamped and lose power, and I'm sure that at least one sank doing this. Obviously they knew what had happened!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I'd grab a cob and some inexpensive tobacco.

boy-wearing-life-vest-with-smoking-pipe-picture-id455281751

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Palm 111 for sure, and if the Penzance gets soaked, send it all to me and I will dry it out and smoke it all during the testing phase..lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of my late wife's ancestry were fishermen. They never went to the beach as a recreation. The sea wasn't an altogether happy sight for them. I think maybe they went to the beach to lifeguard their kids so they could learn to swim, but that was it. This boat sinking project is pretty interesting. I guess you have it figured out how to make the photos or observations quickly from several angles so you catch the in-flood in a short time. Hope you are in the shallows or you can tow the boat there for this test.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Yea, I'm back from my time on the water. And it did sink. What we did was back the trailer into the water till the boat floated then pushed it out a ways attached to a long rope and waited. So here's the determination on why the boat sank. The boat has dual ballast compartments, anyone want to guess what happens when one of the ballast gates is stuck in the open position. Took about an hour but the boat was doing a great job of trying to submerge the starboard side before we pulled it back onto the trailer. I think the only thing missing from this experience was I forgot to wear my speedo's, which is probably a good thing as seeing adults cry is never a pretty thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.