I Think It's Happing To Me...My Tastes, Changing.!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
When I first took up the pipe smoking habit I was astonished by the number of blends out there that were waiting for me to try. So much so that i went a bit crazy and started to get discouraged, so I did what most beginner pipe smokers would do. Which is to stick to what you know, Aromatics. They smell good, sometimes taste good and when you get one you like just keep smoking it.
I have never been so wrong in my life.
I got my hands on a Va/Bur Mac Barens Roll cake. Let me tell you how i cannot stop thinking about this blend i have never felt this way about a blend before. Sure i like the aromatics i smoke but i always needed to be in the mood to enjoy them and when i am in the mood they do not always cooperate with me.They Smoke too hot , too wet even too dry. But every time i smoked that roll cake it leaves me wanting more. Just writing this now my mouth is salivating.
I feel like i needed to take that journey through Aromatics to be able to appreciate other blends such as Va/burs, Va/pars etc. Smoking Aros helped me to figure out what i like in a way. I made a TAD right now and i want to try different blends to see how much my tastes have changed and i am sure this isn't the last time it will change.
G.L. Pease BARBARY COAST 2oz
G.L. Pease HADDO'S DELIGHT 2oz
Mac Baren CLUB BLEND 100g
Mac Baren ROLL CAKE 100g x2
Erinmore ERINMORE FLAKE 50g
Each of the blends above interest me for different reasons so im very excited to try them and of course the roll cake i bought two to age, the tin i am smoking now is 3-1/2 years old so i would like to try a fresh tin and age the rest.
I know most of you are like ok so whats the big deal but for a relatively new smoker, for me, this is really exciting.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It's kind of amazing how much difference some time has on one's taste. My first impressions of Burleys were neutral to negative - but the other day, as I was puffing away on some Sir Walter Raleigh in order to try and free up a jar so that I can purchase something I like better, I suddenly started to 'get it' - the Burley flavor that had seemed flat and one-dimensional the first time or two I tried a bowl suddenly expanded into a more well-rounded and flavorful experience. I keep meaning to do some head-to-head comparisons now that I'm learning more about the distinctions within major types, but now that I'm smoking slower, it's taking me longer and longer to finish a bowl, and I don't wind up having time to do the direct comparison. Will have to buy some smaller pipes, I guess... :D

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
No not weird at all I actually see a pattern we natural must eventually go through all the phases I guess, however I still do not have that craving for Latakia hell I don't think I've even tried a blend with it in there. The idea of smokey tastes throws me off.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Roth,Yup your right this is why I'm trying different blends again I don't want the hype to die right away on the roll cake which is why I don't wanna smoke it all the time. If I got you correctly.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Try a good English like Dunhill 965, or Westminster, since you seem to be getting into a few other GLP blends. You may be surprised-I had to smoke latakia completely by mistake to find out I loved it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes it's like food. You go on a kick with one style of tobacco, and then you try something outside

that realm and find it's really good. You can get into some of the purist English blends, and then you might

wander back and put some aromatics back into the rotation. The variety and willingness to try around is part

of the enjoyment to me, maybe to most.

Dec 24, 2012
The beauty of it is there is almost always something new to try and you will often be surprised. Just the other day I was given a tin of F&T's Blackjack, which I had never tried before. I really loved the stuff, though I have never really seen it even mentioned on here before. Quite a pleasant surprise.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I imagine it is not so weird to come full circle and rediscover Capt'n Black and Paladin Black Cherry after years of Va/Per's...well, maybe not Paladin Black Cherry, that stuff is so cherry it is criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.