I Think I May Be Addicted (To Making Tampers)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Tamper Exchange 2014 is in full swing and so I made up my first to enter into the fun. Well I may of stirred something up inside because now all I can think about is new designs to make. It is pretty fun to do and is nice to have something like this to do while smoking since they go hand and hand, tampers and smoking that is.
So this is one I finished up today and I am now trying her out with its first smoke. I am already thinking of the next one now! :lol:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice tamper redbeard.
I know what you mean. Making tampers can easily get under one's skin. I like them because I can be through the project in an hour or three. I've got a short attention span so bigger projects I tend to leave unfinished. You're right smoking a pipe in the workshop while making tampers is a mighty fine thing to do.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've found that tamper making is addictive for me also! I enjoy making pipes but I actually like making tampers more!

How 'bout some more detail on this one,wood used, finish etc? I'm always curious about that stuff.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks guys!! This is my favorite... So far. It may surprise you but this was also made from the same wood I used for the exchange. It is just an old shelf that was no longer needed and ugly. I like that it does look charred at the top but in reality what I did was add a little rustication to it, and then stain it with some kona wood stain. As for the bare wood I applied a few coats of oil to it and once everything was dry I put a few coats of clear sealer on it all. To finish it off I added a magnetic bottom and finished.
My fingers are pretty raw though, to get the general shape I use a knife and go at it, once my shape is close to where I want it the Dremel comes out to play. Tomorrow is my day off so I may not be able to resist making another. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.