I Think I Am Ready To Try And Evolve My Pipe Hobby.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
After long consideration i have decided that i wanted to convert my garage into a woodworking shop. Since its too small to fit a car and I have no access to it from the house converting it to a shop is my best option to make it a useful part of my house. I have my wife's support since i am sure she has quite a few projects in mind she would like to see made. I have no problem with it as i can smoke in the garage while i work lol.
So what would I need for a beginner wood shop/pipe making shop is the question, I have a few of these things listed below in no particular order but mat consider upgrading them.
- Miter Saw

- Wood Lathe

- Belt Sander

- Table Saw

- Router

- Dremel

- Shop Vac

- Drill Press

- Buffing Wheel

- Sand Blaster

- Air Compressor
Am i Missing Something?
Also What tools would I need for pipe making in particular?
You help and advice is welcomed and appreciated. I am going to start saving for this now so some direction as too where i sold invest my money first would be great.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, there should be a big commitment to sawdust removal at each workstation.

Every picture I see of pipe shop sanders and lathes has prominent evac equipment.

So blower motors and vacuum systems seem to be a priority. Check out the pix from Ser Jacopo.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Cortez,
Its funny you mentioned that. Just this morning i was debating with my co-worker on how important it would be for me to control the amount of dust in my shop for many different reasons.
-Safety due to fire hazard

-Health reasons breath ability being its a small space
And so on...
I actually saw a nice system on Pinterest last night i would like to copy. It was an overhead Vaccum system using basic central vac tube to connect you to all your machines. this seems like a great idea. Another thing i read is that some pipe makers use the saw dust as a sandblasting agent to give a subtle blast effect on there pipes. I would like to try that so collecting the dust may also have some financial benefit.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Smokey, unless you are a recent lottery winner, I would suggest you go slowly. Get your self a buffer and refurbish/repair a few dozen before you go whole hog.
Also, Cortez is right(as always) - dust control is a major concern.
Read thru the Pipemaker's Forum and watch a few videos for setup ideas.
Please don't think I'm condescending - that's the advice I would give to anyone. I don't know your skill level, so my advice is pretty general. I have looked down that long, expensive road myself, and had to face the fact that I don't have the skill or the artistry. :P But whatever you do, have fun! I hope you make a few shekels, too.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
LOL yes i completely understand that im thinking way to big to start, thats just a nasty habit of mine. I will be starting off slow and concentrating on the layout of the shop first and foremost. thats all great advice and i will be pondering all this for the next 5 months. I still need to finish the garage and clear out the crap i have in there now. I will be looking into the Equipment on a budget as in buying used from Kijiji and or Craigslist in no way will i be able to afford all this new lol. I have a background in CNC and i am a Steel Machinist by trade so i can even buy one needing a little maintenance and shave some cash.

In consulting our local pipemaker, Skip Elliot, here are a few things that I had to consider. You need a larger lathe, don't go for the cheapest, because you will need to be able to turn stummels with the length of shaft spinning when forming the bowls. Also, the chuck to hold the blocks of briar are about as expensive as the lathe.
Don't get a Dremel, get a good high horsepower Flexshaft. It will be able to carve into that tough briar better and with more control.
You might consider just the fewest tools possible first. A drill press, and a good Flexshaft with a good selection of carving burs can get you started. Tools cannot replace skills. The best wood craftsmen use their minds more than specific tools designed to compensate. Then, when you are ready for a lathe, get a lathe.
Check with your local woodcraft suppliers to see if you have a woodworking co-op or collective in your area. We have a woodcraft co-op where they've bought and supplied a whole wood working shop. They offer classes on turning wood bowls (vases, etc), and various other skills using the equipment. And, then you can use their tools to learn the nuances and safety before making the investment yourself. You might also learn about others who jumped in and bought a garage full of tools themselves before realizing they don't have a lasting interest in working with wood. This happens a lot. Guys will sink thousands into tools, and then after losing a finger or starting some other hobby, they want to unload all of those tools on the cheap.
I suggest that you start with the bare minimum tools. Our forefathers were able to make pipes with a knife and something to bore with. Then work your way to bigger tools as your creativity demands.
Just my 2 cents. Have fun. Making stuff is a lot of fun. Also keep your options open on making other stuff. Carve a few garden gnomes, vases, and make a few boxes. Make a chair for your little lady. That will make her smile and endear her to your mad craft skills. Making people smile is way more fun than just making the other things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cynyr has a good strategy, to do this in an incremental way. Start with a few pieces of equipment, and

plan your projects around those. You'll learn a lot from that, about placement, what level of tools you

need. You'll be thinking about it and talking to other pipe carvers along the way and make better, more

informed decisions given some time. A few pieces of gear, give it at least six months, and so on.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Go onto the pipe makers site and register. ALL of the contemporary artisans and hobbyists are on there and there are tools and equipment for sale. You will be surprised at the minimalist approach some of these carvers adopt. You don't need an entire wood shop to make a pipe. Check it out.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Great advice here. I'll only add that I totally agree with Cosmic's words on how many folks dive right into buying all sorts of gear in a new hobby, only to find out like anything else, there is an enormous amount of time needed to devote to it to become proficient.
My partial list of previous activities now or almost ready to put in the garage:
auto mechanics-all sorts of power tools, etc.
Underwater photography: fancy housings, lights, camera, lenses etc.
helicopter study books
6'2" yamaha grand piano (also a yamaha practice silent piano). Beautiful piano, and when I used to practice up to four hours a day, I would drive my family crazy--hence, the silent piano.
Just a short list of stuff
I will add, however, that I really used all of these things with the compulsive behavior that I exhibit in all hobbies--like pipe smoking.
:)

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Smokey, good luck...don't get the wood lathe...find yourself a metal lathe..it gives you more flexibility and options when working with pipes and stems...Shopfox has a great buffing motor that can be used for setting up your buffing and finishing stations...and get a good belt sander...I've watched pipe makers shape an entire pipe with just a coping saw and belt sander...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Make sure to keep us updated as I plan to start outfitting my shop next spring and could use the input. I already have a lot of the things you listed for gun work but I'm holding off on buying a lathe because I'm not sure how big to go. Hobby metal lathes at Lee Valley are a couple hundred bucks but jumping to the next sizes usually include a few more thousand.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Your more than welcome Smokey...I've spent time with Rad Davis in his shop and he helped me get my buffing stations set up for restoration and refinishing....

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
lots of makers on the other forum are saying they just use a mini metal lathe and it works perfect for them.
If you're going to spend money, forget the mini lathes- you are pretty much limited to stem work and will constantly butt up against their limitations on accuracy and rigidity. I bought a 9x20 Grizzly for about a thousand a year ago, spend another $1,000 on tooling and am kicking myself for not getting a 12x36"
If you can pick up some classic American iron like a 10" Atlas for $800 or so, you'll be much happier...and won't have to spend a ton of money retooling when you upgrade lathes...

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Good to know Zack I saw lot of those Atlas Lathes on Kijiji i just wasn't sure. There were a few in my area from 450 to 700$ but im not yet comfortable with the machine enough to cough up that much unless the seller has the time to walk me through it and prove to me everything works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.