Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   
[closed]

I Need Help With This Comoy's.....Please

(41 posts)
  1. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

I've been researching this Comoy's pipe for a couple weeks now, and have come up with zero. I've even contacted a few knowledgeable friends, who have even more knowledgeable contacts, and still....zero. What I have is a Comoy's Specimen Straight grain pipe. And from what I can find, a fairly rare pipe to begin with. The problem is that through all my research, I keep coming up with one constant, every single example of a Comoy's Specimen Straight Grain are all...straight Billiards. Different model#'s, but all are straight Billiards. The one I have is a Bent Billiard, model# 214 to be exact. This pipe is definitely pre-Cadogan, with the 3 piece insert on the stem, and my guess would be 1950's or 1960's. I'd like to sell this pipe, but I can't, because no one has ever seen a Bent Billiard Specimen Straight Grain. And if I can't determine it's value, I can't sell it....period. So any help would be greatly appreciated. This pipe has been restored/refinished (by me), as the original finish had dulled to a rather bland grey/brown color.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure what the question is. That being said, what do you mean by re-finished? Was stain involved or does the pipe look so orange because of the lighting?

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

Well, if you think this pipe is orange, then you may want to check the settings on whatever image rendering software you're using, as this pipe is definitely NOT orange. And re-finishing means just that, the pipe has been refinished.
    LOL....and you're not sure what the question is???.....let me know when you figure it out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This is one reference point, two sold at $1,950 - but one was had the additional Extraordinaire stamping and the other Blue Riband.

But, not many bents are found (none?).

One just recently sold, I remember seeing it.

A guess would be around $250 or so.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

Thank you Mr Jones. I was hoping you'd show up, as I knew you would be able to give me some general information and point me in the right direction. I was beginning to think this was a one-off pipe, simply because I could nothing to reference it.......thanks again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

I mean.....duh......I could find nothing to reference it.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not real clear on what the question is either?????
    Pricing?---- Just start the bidding on Ebay at .99 cents, and let the market decide?
    Rarity?---- They aren't common, but not extremely rare, a quick google search turned up a Quarter Bent Pear
    Another shape here: LOVAT
    And a seven day set, with lots of different shapes: 7 day set
    Other shapes besides straight billiards are out there. The value of the pipe would be what someone is willing to pay for the pipe..............

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

Well, at least Mr Jones understood the question, and to me, that's all that matters. And the 2 pipes you referenced are both straight pipes, as in... the shanks are straight not bent as in the photo of the pipe I have. And I'd never sell anything I own of quality on Ebay....never.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Good searching Beef, I didn't find that bent Pear. That (594) and the 215 referenced here are the only bents that can be found. I guess the briar wasn't conducive to a bent shape.

Here's a 215 "Selected Straight Grain" that I restored a long time ago (ugh, I see some mistakes here).
    https://rebornpipes.com/2012/07/28/selected-straight-grain-comoys-restoration/

The Selected Straight grains were really 2nds because of a flaw (the one above had a fill). They typically also didn't have the Comoy's stamp or C stem logo (but apparently some did). I wonder if they tried making bents but when the flaw(s) appeared, they were regularted to Selected Straight grain 2nd's status? Wow, this was back in 2013, perhaps one of my first restorations. Wish I had that one back again to do...

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll ask the question again, was the pipe re-stained? And, yes, it may just be my monitor, or the lighting. I like the pipe, the shape of the stem is lovely. If the question is what is it worth, I'd say $200-$400. I might even say it being a bent might make it more attractive to a collector/buyer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seadog- How did you refinish the pipe? Please try to answer without snark.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

dm - thanks for the update. I was thinking $300 for the pipe (btw - no fills or flaws in the briar on this one), but in all honesty, I couldn't offer it for sale without knowing, as I may have under priced it or over priced it. And by refinishing, yes, the original finish was dull and worn, so I sanded it down to bare wood and re-stained the briar....thanks again for your input, it is appreciated.

jp - I sanded down the briar to bare wood (wet sanding with 320 grit wet/dry then wet sanding again with 400 grit wet/dry) and stained with Fiebings Light Brown. Funny thing I've learned about re-staining briar. I use Fiebings Light Brown on 90% of the pipes that I refinish, and the color is different on every pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

Here's a couple of examples of other pipes I've stained with Fiebings Light Brown. The first is a Charatan I own:

.....and another, which is an original Linkman's Dr Grabow I also own, same color, Light Brown:

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

LMFAO.......is does keep your color options real simple when re-staining a pipe......oh....I know.....Fiebings Light Brown.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sanded down the briar to bare wood (wet sanding with 320 grit wet/dry then wet sanding again with 400 grit wet/dry) and stained with Fiebings Light Brown.

This answers my question, and now having seen the pipe before any work was done (the 16 Dec ebay listing) I would strongly recommend to NOT DO IT AGAIN. To do that to a pipe like that, to be brutally honest, makes its value plummet. With high grade English pipes, ORIGINALITY is key. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I collect Comoy's, so take this as a collector's opinion. Pluses are high grade, good stamps, rare shape (not unique though, I had a SSG shape 13 at one point). Negative points are that the pipe has been refinished- this is huge to a collector, from the pictures it appears that the stem needs further work, the front outer rim might have been reshaped, and I wonder if the pipe has been over reamed in the past as it appears to lack the inner rim bevel that almost all post-war production had.

I would suspect 200-300 would be a reasonable expectation. Comoy pipes have been in a bubble as of late and it is a good time to sell.

Doc

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Going to check the eBay listing...

Doc

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

Considering that I've restored, refinished and sold any number of Comoy's, GBD's, Dunhill's, Charatan's and others. And each one sold for every penny of what they were worth, if not more. So at this point I WILL TOTALLY DISREGARD what you said and continue to do what I do. And as I value the opinion of Ken Barnes in reference to a couple of extremely rare Charatan pipes that I totally re-finished and re-stained, you can also take that for what it's worth. Sorry, but that's the truth.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. seadog

seadog

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input doc....again, the price range was pretty much what I was considering, just needed confirmation.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seadog, I have great respect for Ken's opinions. But with this pipe, I'm just not seeing it. What I am seeing is micro scratches all over the place, and a rather dull, almost satin finish (now again that could be the pictures), but one thing Comoy's was known for, was the finishes of their pipes. If you are going to sell it, best of luck...

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I chose to only restain pipes that are either ruined beyond any collector value or have no real significance. I have only four stain colors (Med Brown is one). That really limits what can be done. Guys like George D I think have close to, or perhaps more than, 100 stain colors (he told me once, I forget the exact number). That allows them to restore the finish to a factory color, or at least very close. I can't pull that off.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

When a pipe is heavily restored, as in restained, etc, the collector value is diminished. Simple as that. Ken knows this as well. Different manufacturers had their own methods for staining, giving their pipes a distinctive color or color effect through multiple contrast staining as with the Blue Riband. Once the history of an old pipe has been obliterated a lot of its interest and value goes as well. Serious collectors avoid botoxed pipes. We want the genuine article in the best possible condition and THAT'S what we are willing to pay for.

That said, a lot of people just want a pretty pipe and are neither knowledgeable about, nor care, about what its original makers intended. That's an unpleasant fact for those of us who have a love for old pipes and their history. We are a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction.

Based on the above thread, clearly you can't teach a seadog new thinking.

BTW, I'm looking at these pipes on a professional grade color calibrated monitor and they all look pretty damned red-orange. It probably doesn't help that they've been stuck against a yellow ground, reflected light from which would throw off the color. Or maybe they're just pretty damned orange red.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your pipes look orange/red.

I also see scratches in the surface of the pipe, and a satin finish. Nomenclature has also taken a hit. Grain contrast has been lost in the refurb.

Keep doing whatever you want, that's your prerogative. But when you ask for assistance, and are sarcastic and dismissive when someone asks you questions or poses an opinion you don't like maybe you need to re-evaluate if you want to have a dialogue at all.

Shiny Pipes has proven that there is a market for folks who do what you do to pipes. Please, go compete with them.

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Shiny Pipes has proven that there is a market for folks who do what you do to pipes. Please, go compete with them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

A short time later...

So at this point I WILL TOTALLY DISREGARD what you said and continue to do what I do.

So there you go

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pat, with your Shiny Pipes reference, you win the Internet today.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On Forums, you won't always learn what you'd like to learn, but if you read and consider, you can usually learn something.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

Based on the thread responses, here you go...

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

My Comoys specimen Straight Grain shape 28 bought new in the early 70ties looks
    quite different in colour and finish than the one above.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. kenbarnes

kenbarnes

Login to Send PM

Seadog:I personally would never strip and sand an old collectable pipe unless the customer brought it to us as a special request because he did not like the finish etc. I remember only one occasion when a collector managed to locate Barry Jones (after he left Charatan) and asked him to strip a Charatan Supreme in order to remove a large dent in the bowl. The collector knew that Barry could mix up the exact spirit stain that was used at Charatans. We both told the customer that we would not normally strip a pipe of its finish and if we were to go ahead with this it would be at the customer's risk. Barry explained that even sanding this Supreme with fine sandpaper could bring up a flaw in the pipe and Barry would not want to take responsibility for this. The customer agreed to take the risk and luckily Barry was able to remove the deep dent, whilst keeping the shape intact and finish this pipe to its original colour.
    This stripped Comoy, in my opinion, has devalued the pipe greatly to the true collector. I agree that some people do want the pipe looking like "new", but not the true collecting purist.
    This orange finish (and yes, I call it an orange finish)was not used, as far as I am aware, in the earlier days of pipe-making.
    I suppose that if a pipe like a Comoys Blue Riband which possibly had a stripped-off black background stain (which was initially applied and burnt in)and then possibly oil applied to the bowl, allowed to dry and then cleaned off with spirit/pure alcohol and then polished with fatty grey Carnauba wax, could, depending on that piece of briar, give a slightly orangey-type finish. However, it always depends on how the briar 'takes' the stain or applications.
    With help and guidance from people who use this Forum, I am learning so much and I want to remain 'forever teachable'.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to be late to the party. Just now saw this thread.

Seadog, you'll have no problem selling that pipe as a tobacco access device.

Serious Britwood collectors won't touch it as a collectable, though. The re-finish is ham-fisted and obvious (besides being a poor color choice), and the chamber looks to be significantly over-reamed and/or sanded. I'm also guessing that you wiped the pipe with some sort of oil before taking the pics, to try to cover the many multi-directional scratches on the stem as well as the bowl, and to create an "artificial gleam" of sorts. All in all, on the restoration scale, a 1.5 out of 10.

As someone else suggested, putting it on Ebay with no minimum is your best option to sell it anytime soon. If re-listing it downward for the next six months is your idea of fun, though, start wherever you like.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And there you have it.

Sweet looking Comoy, though.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any pipe might be collectible to someone who happens to have such a collection. Certainly this fine Comoy could have been sold to a collector in its original condition. However, I think it's fair to just spiff up pipes that are aged and worn, to brighten them up as tobacco delivery systems as mentioned in the earlier post. People taking the trouble to restore or refurbish pipes should be aware of what they are doing and make good choices, for their own sakes financially and as crafts people. Nothing wrong with brightening up a worn pipe, but be aware of what you are doing. And of course, as a buyer, be aware of what you are buying.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All I can say, and I'M NOT trying to beat up on the OP, is this thread, and the comments within, should be read as a cautionary tale. For comparison, these are two before pictures of the pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. simong

simong

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As someone who's favourite pipes are comoys, & who's spent a lot of money getting my collection of both older & cadogan made comoys. I wouldn't want that pipe even if it was a gift.
    An absolute abortion of a 'simple clean up job'. Such a shame, luckily there's plenty more out there for us comoy fans to spend our 2-300$ on!

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

I prefer the original to the "refurb" in this case, for reasons already stated. Too bad, it was a lovely pipe.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife and I have bought several pieces of antique furniture at very low prices because someone had refinished them. It's a shame some of them were beautiful before being stripped and refinishing attempted. That is what I get here from comparing the before and after pics

P.S I went finer than 400 grit when I painted my lawn tractor.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The satisfaction/happiness and sorrow/anguish of the rebornpipes readers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would have bought the "Before" pipe for $200.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don't think there's much else to say here.

Posted 2 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   milehighpiper, weezell, craig61a, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88, oldgeezersmoker