PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
A coworker got a few cigars on vacation and brought me one. It was a Makers Mark cigar. I lit it today and took a few puffs and threw it out. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Now, I like a good cigar once in a while but mostly smoke my pipes.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Same here mp31, never had a Makers Mark cigar before, but now I seldom smoke cigars. I still love them just not as much as I love pipes.

~Ron

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had them and liked them. It's a Dominican and well made. Yes, the Maker's Mark infusion can be different but not a bad change of pace. Certainly not an every day cigar and not as aromatic as the Acid line.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I started with cigars and still enjoy them, but prefer my pipes. In a pipe I occasionally smoke an aromatic for a change of pace. Not cigars though. I tried a couple and they were disgusting. Tatuaje, Padron, Fuente, etc. are my preferences.

B

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I used to enjoy cigars and took the trouble to smoke a few different Cuban cigars outside the U.S., but I still like

a good Dominican better. Never tried a Makers Mark. Pipes just have a lot more variety in blends and choice

about how to burn the leaf in various pipes for various strengths and effects. Cigars are more limited and less

interesting, all in all.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If I want a cigar, I want a cigar that tastes like tobacco, not whatever odd flavor the maker thought might be hip. I want a drink with my cigar, I'll pour one.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I started smoking cigars before the pipe, and never inhaled (have never smoked cigarettes). I liked the aroma amd the taste and only smoked Havanas. When on vacation in Spain I could usually pick them up a bit cheaper, but still VERY expensive!! (one good cigar = 2 weeks worth of pipe tobacco!!). I moved from Montecristo and R&J to Partagas to get a richer, earthier smoke.
12 years ago ago when I started pipe smoking I lost interest. There is no real variety in cigar taste as compared to the massive range of different-tasting pipe tobaccos. And they often had not been stored properly by the vendors - I used to get extremely angry when a $20+ cigar burned differently down one side vs the other and I found myself wetting one side with my spit!! LOL (never happens with a pipe)
Last year my brother brought me a box of R&J from a vacation in Cuba. I smoked one, it was OK, the other 24 are still sitting there!! All praise to piping!! LOL

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Since we 're talking cigars I smoke a box a week of Camacho Corojo Toros. Sometimes I'll switch it out for Fonseca Cubana Limitadas. Pinar makes legal Cubans from pre-embargo tobacco discovered in Florida some years ago. That's a nice treat.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I don't smoke cigars too often, but do enjoy the Acid line. Fuentes are my all-time favorites. Cubans are good, but it's so hard to know whether you're getting a real Cuban or a knock off. Regardless, I find pipe smoking to be much more enjoyable and more affordable.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I started smoking pipes because of cigars. I friend of mine introduced me to cigars and I liked it but didnt love it. I actually did enjoy the Holly Lanceros but not LOVE them. Since I still wanted to hang out with the guys I decided to try a pipe - never looked back. I think I'd still smoke an HL if offered to me.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Just for that one person here who may not know..As in pipe tobacco there is a world of different tastes in cigars.Some are very good.Some are just about like smoking a piece of old rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.