I LOVE GL PEASE KEY LARGO any other suggestions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I like Key Largo a lot... I also like Perretti's Cuban Mixture and Tobac Manil Semois.
Any other suggestions for something I might like that I may have not tried?
Thanks.
PS: If you are a Key Largo lover, what do you smoke it in? I use a shorter, wider bowl or a Bulldog/Rhodesian.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I like Key Largo as well. But I don't seek out cigar-derived blends as a rule, as I am more of a dark fired burley man in terms of taste. Some who like Key Largo also have told me they like SG Brown No.4 -- YMMV, but I love it, too, though the cigar leaf is very much there in the middle of the flavours! I tend to smoke Key Largo in my pots or dublins -- both of which are wider bowled like your rhodesian: the reason is simply because I find those shapes the most pleasing and the most useful for how I smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Can't recommend it because I haven't yet tried it, but I just ordered my IPSD discount tin of Low Country (SP) Guendalose. If you like other C&D blends, you might like this one with cigar leaf. I've tried and liked their Cooper blend and am aging a tin, but no cigar leaf there.

I have been told that Key largo is the exact same as Robusto, but pressed into a flake. Robusto just lacks so much that Key Largo has, something smooth. I have tried other cigar blends, but I don't think it's the cigar leaf that makes this one awesome. I can make out the cigar flavor, but it's a whole new and different smoking experience from cigars, IMO.

Billy Budd is good also, but it is a tad more harsh to me, IMO. If you like Key Largo, smoke Key Largo. Maybe delve into some of the G&D Burley blends also.

ormazd, just don't expect a cigar experience. Cigar blends just really don't taste like cigars. Russ, or resident tobacconist member, says that most of the flavor experience of smoking a cigar comes from the wrapper touching our lips as we smoke them. And, I agree. Cigar leaf in a blend adds a creaminess and oiliness to the pipe smoke that you just don't get from most pipe blends. You can really feel the smoke in your mouth, with a heaviness.
I have been playing around with adding different cigar leafs to blends, like Nicaraguan Criollo and Ecuadorian Ligero. They add a spicy sweet flavor that does some interesting things when mixed with Virginias. But, just don;t expect it to be anything like smoking a cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.