PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

torben

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
I love corn cobs! There you have it. I have great briars. I'm a Stanwell man. And they're always great to smoke. i also have some expensive handmade italian pipes that smoke like crap. No matter how I smoke them, they drip, they burn, they make everything taste like chemicals. And then I returned to my teenage pips: the corn cobs. So good. So sweet. So mellow. I ordered diplomats, country gentlemens etc. from Missouri Meerschaum. Pure relaxation. I can concentrate on the blends I smoke. New tobaccos can be tested and enjoyed. I can have one in my pocket for a fishing trip and it will perform civilized in rough weather. It's a friend, not a hysterical, high maintenance girlfriend. There is no straight grain, silver mount and other beautiful things but i can enjoy smoking some american history together with other guys like Mark Twain and Popeye. So hail to the corn cob....

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They are the go anywhere do everything of pipedom. I only have 2 - a Great Dane Egg and Country Gentleman- but I like them. I need to get a couple more and hard to beat for the price.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
They are the go anywhere do everything of pipedom. I only have 2 - a Great Dane Egg and Country Gentleman- but I like them. I need to get a couple more and hard to beat for the price.
Two of my favorite shaped cobs, I have several of both.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I only have one that I picked up at the pharmacy. It's a MM with a bent stem for $5.99. It's what I smoke when I'm working on the tracks. If I lose it or it breaks it can be easily replaced. She does treat you right, especially for the price.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I have two or three of every model cob now. Like an idiot I passed them over in the beginning. I purchased a medico pipe first that is thin and burns so hot NASA can see it from space.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fellow MM cob fanatics, please also see my post on replacement permanent stems for your MM cobs, from

walkerbriarworks. The plastic stems that come with the cobs are fine, and can be replaced when they wear

out for less than a dollar each. However, how would you like a permanent vulcanite or lucite stem for each

of your cobs for about $24 (or a few for less) in a variety of shapes, bent or straight, in a whole range of

colors from dignified to really jazzy? These are offered for both filtered cobs (though they no longer will

accept a filter which is okay with me) or unfiltered cobs. I have ordered replacement stems for my two

filtered pipes, and will order one for my unfiltered American Patriot once I figure out which wild color I

want. The first two are traditional black and tortoise. Now for something outlandish. Since a cob can

last for twenty years or more, this seems like a most sensible upgrade. I have no interest in this outifit,

don't know the people. But the concept fills me with irrational delight, as you can tell.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
+1. I wish I could find a new cob with a reed stem like the first ones made. I wouldn't want a used one.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Lots of cob threads lately, which is great! I'm a big fan. Smoking one right now, in fact. With a nice tortoiseshell Forever Stem.
I have six that I rotate throughout the day, reserving my briars for longer, evening smokes. Rarely am I found without one hanging out of my mouth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mp31, yeah, I remember those old reed stems. The ones my dad smoked had those. That would be great.
I noticed the MM Freestyle cobs, a larger pipe, comes with a vulcanite stem direct from the maker; it costs

about $32, if I remember correctly.
One of the Forums members thought it was gilding the lily to put a $24 stem on a $5.95 ("cheap assed")

pipe, but others felt that despite its low cost, a MM cob is a fine pipe regardless of price. That's the way

I feel about it. Thirty bucks (MM cob and permanent stem) for a pipe that is likely to give 20 plus years

of great smoking sounds like a fair deal to me. The permanent stem can be used on another cob, new or

used, as long as the stem itself lasts.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have picked up a couple lucite stems for a couple of my cobs off the bay for around $7 a piece, haven't sprung for a Forever Stem (Yet).

torben

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
Glad to have met some fellow corn cob lovers and be enlightened on the "Corn Cob Snob Society". The walkerbriarworks.com stems sound great. I'm a latakia lover and I'm smoking a great blend with 50% latakia, 35% virginia, 10% orientals and 5% perique which taste so sweet in a Country Gentleman. I have copied the "Corn Cob Snob Society" logo but can't figure out how to apply it as a signature. But that must be some other time. Stay well, fellow missourians..

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Well, the other beauty of cobs is that they are easy to modify. If you can find some reeds (I know the pipeshoppe that sells the clay pipes sells some for use with their civil war era clays), it's pretty easy to remove the hardwood shank from a cob (hold & twist hard!).

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I love my corn cobs. I have six that I smoke from and another six that I leave in my shop for my poker friends that may want to enjoy a pipe. I have 3 in my man-cave, one in my work truck and the other two in my travel bag. Cobs in my work truck and travel bag are perfect, because I don't have to worry about being careful to not to damage or lose them. They're pretty durable and smoke great.
I have a General, 5th Avenue, Diplomat, Washington, Legend and a Morgan. This reminds me, I need a Country Gentleman.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I have only had a couple cob experiences both when I was fishing and forgot a pipe or brought a pipe that I did not want to ruin with a tobacco not meant for it. I enjoyed the cob after the initial few draws that tasted like popcorn. I would like to get a higher quality one though because mine was off a cardboard board at a gas station up north and probably been there for 30 years from the taste of the Amphora tobacco that I bought at the same time. Note to self small town gas stations are not the place to buy pipe tobacco even in a pinch.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@piperl12 - Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs are the best, and they're commonly sold off a cardboard rack/stand etc at B&Ms, gas stations, and anywhere else you can find them. There is no better quality than MM cobs.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
@metalheadycigar maybe I have a 30 year old collector cob? lol I could be so lucky. I will have to drag out my tackle box and see if they are MM cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.