PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
But SERIOUSLY, why does Mixture 79 exist? I saw it for cheap when was putting in a TAD order and got curious to see if it was REALLY as bad as everyone says. The last time I tried this, I got 5 brothers, one of my favorite baccys.
For those curious like me, its not as bad as everyone says it is. ITS WORSE. I gagged. Seriously. I almost lost my lunch over this stuff. Its like laundry detergent, pot pourri, dish soap, and hydraulic fluid wrapped into baccy form. If I could go back in time, but could only choose between killing hitler or preventing mixture 79 from ever existing, I'd choose the former.
It sticks in your sinuses! Forever! I was gagging for an hour. But me and my brother promised each other wed finish the bowl together, and Im no flake. (haha baccy pun). Dont do it! Dont put it in your pipe! Please! I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy!
I am aware that there is a small group of people who enjoy it. My question is, do you really like it? Or just say it to bait people into having a horrific experience?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
When I worked in a B&M we had a customer who would buy it by the case. He loved his Mixture 79 and would not smoke anything else.
That said, I totally agree with your assessment.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I like it. It's an acquired taste, maybe. It reminds me of the other classic drugstore burley blends like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Half & Half, but with a flavoring of vanilla and anise. I also think the pouch note is oddly similar to the smell of a Peace cigarette which is delightful aromatic. Certainly it's not the greatest thing I've ever put in my pipe but it's not the worst by a long shot. I think this blend is easy to hate on because there's like no one out there standing up for it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I think Mixture 79 is a throwback of an old generation. Back in a time where OTC tobaccos were all you could really get unless you lived in a major city with a smoke shop. My Great uncles would tell me about how the first time they saw the nearest major city that was 40 miles away was when they left for the war in their 20's. People didn't travel like they do now and there was on "online shopping".... there was Sears or Eatons mail order and that was it. When I was growing up there were 3 kinds of cigarettes.... Players, DuMaurier, and Export, and the only option of each brand was filtered or nonfiltered. Now there are literally dozens of different brands and styles at your local 7-11. As the codgers die out you will see Mixture 79 disappear, and for me it will be a sad day as we will have lost a piping generation.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
I apologize guys, I didnt mean to come off as a jerk, and I understand that everyone has different tastes, but I tried to find anything redeeming about this blend, and finished a whole bowl, and I could not understand it. If you enjoy Mixture 79 I wish you many happy bowls and cool smokes.
I legitimately didnt think anybody could really enioy this stuff on a regular basis, but clearly I'm wrong. More power to ya boys, there will be plenty for you guys. No worries of Mixture 79 shortages anytime soon XD

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I tried it once back in the 60's and quickly moved on to other things.
I recall that Kevin and Sykes had to handle the disposition of Aaron Spelling's sizable collection of Dunhills upon

the demise of the famous producer. Though Kevin has a lively sense of humor, I don't think he was being facetious

when he noted that Spelling must have smoked M.79 -- in Dunhills!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
M79 was one of the first blends I smoked when I started in 1970. Even as a newb I just knew there had to be better out there otherwise there would be no pipe smokers. I agree that it is sad to see a blend disappear but I doubt that I'd shed a tear over Mixture 79.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
I bought a pouch of this a few years ago and I regretted it immediately. I hear people saying vanilla and anise, but all I got was lavender soap. I might try it again some day though, as my tastes have changed since then.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
So what your saying is if you jar it, bury it in the ground and come back to it several decades later there is a chance it might improve?

:puffy:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 twang.
But if you forget and in a few hundred years in the future -in a world where smoking no longer exists but in the underground society of the freaks and destitute- some archaeologist will find it, send it to a lab where it will be studied, maybe even smoked ... and it will be determined that the banning of tobacco hundreds of years ago was a fine idea because that stuff wasn't only bad for your health but tasted horrible.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of the old brands have redeeming qualities, as do Prince Albert, Granger, Carter Hall, etc. In fact,

some of them are downright good as what they are. I'm not sure how the rougher examples like

Mixture 79 hold on. Maybe some taste it differently. I haven't tried it, and hope I won't. I'm still trying

to get up my nerve to try a pouch of Clan that was a gift. It's reputed to be none too tasty.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, I love em all, great stuff. I have nothing against old fashioned blends... With one notable exception haha
@cmdrbraggg Haha yeah, thats a good point. When me and my brother were smoking it the only theory we had is it was tobacco intentionally made to scare off underage kids. Like, some teen begs you to buy them tobacco so they can be rebellious, so you get em a cob and 79 to scare them off for life haha. Not that I endorse or encourage contributing to a minor, of course.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I enjoyed some PA in a cob just this morning, but I have never tried Mixture 79.
I have been looking for my dad's pipes for years now (I KNOW he had some old Kaywoodies) but all I have ever found is a canister of M79. I just don't have the courage to try it, even with 40+ years of age on it.
But then... it might be an entertaining post.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
cynyr, I would be curious to hear how well it aged, but I honestly would reccomend not doing it. It was one of the worst things Ive ever tasted and I dont think it wss worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.