PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick001

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
So technically you are suppose to puff on your pipe and savor the flavor of the tobacco. But does anyone here take in an inhale after a few puffs? I know with some being ex cigarette smokers, that had to be hard for you because you want that nicotine faster. But correct me if I'm wrong, can't you get the nicotine buzz just from puffing?
Also, to kill two birds with one stone, what's a good strong tobacco that will give a good nicotine buzz? But not too strong that will make me sick. Thanks guys!

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Any straight burley I smoke gives me a nicotine kick and I don't inhale.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
when i laid the cigarettes down, it seemed that almost every puff off the pipe was inhaled as deep and thick as i could get it. that tappered off after some time and now deeply inhale maybe once every other bowl full.

not a dead horse but just one of lifes experiences.

i understand that perique is pretty strong in nicotene that would be my first choice. if you think that a strong might help with the flavor cravings of cigarettes, try a blend that is relatively strong in latakia.

all of this greatly helped me to lay them down.

i havent had a cigarette nor wanted one that i cant even remember how long its been.

hope this helps.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Get Peterson's Irish Flake and Irish Oak for the nic hit. I also inhale a lot.

goodkat

Might Stick Around
May 31, 2011
Also, to kill two birds with one stone, what's a good strong tobacco that will give a good nicotine buzz? But not too strong that will make me sick. Thanks guys!
If you still get sick from nicotine you don't need strong tobacco.

nick001

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
Goodkat that is not true. I can sit down for about 2 hours and have a good hookah sessions and be fine. When I'm out at a party or drinking, ill run through a pack in like 3 hours. But when I dip... That's a different story. Dip has always given me a huge buzz and given me a real bad head spin.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Early Morning Pipe from Dunhill kicks nicely. It's a suave oriental/VA blend that actually rates pretty high among cig to pipe converts.
And as for whether nicotine will get into your system by just puffing, here's the lowdown on chemical rates of absorption into your system by both speed and strength: (this applies from everything like sugar, caffeine, and nicotine, to heroin and oxycoton)
1. Skin - those who pick tobacco and handle coke blocks often contract severe addictions :puffpipe:

2. Saliva glands (chewing, dipping, puffing)

3. Ingestion

4. Inhalation

5. Snorting :crazy:

6. Anal - for the desperate pill popper (or is it pooper?) 8O :crazy:

7. Intravenous injection - the most efficient method
And thus concludes the addiction survival 101 course... :clap:
PS I've worked with recovering addicts for years. Ya learn some stuff.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Skin is the fastest and strongest way of getting a nic hit? I just can't believe that.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I think you're reading that backwards (or he typed it backwards, or whatever). #7 says "most efficient", so #1 (skin) must be the least efficient.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
i don't inhale, but i do puff pretty dam fast, and usually by the end of a bowl i have a pretty good buzz going for whatever reason, but i pack really loose so it burns fast and draws like nothing

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Peterson's University Flake has a pretty good nicotine hit as well. My head was starting to ring a little ten minutes into the bowl. Wasn't too overpowering though, it didn't upset my stomach or anything. Seemed like it'd be a good crossover as well for a cigarette smoker.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I get a nic kick from UF too. I'd also say Dunhills Royal Yacht. It may smoke smooth but brother, will it make you feel like you took a bong hit full of cigarette tobacco.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If you are looking for a major nic hit, Five Brothers. Please remain seated while the room is in motion.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I never inhale, ever. But with some pipe tobaccos (Irish Oak is one strong example) and some cigars (try a LGC Serie R in any shape, or a sungrown AF) there is a definite nic kick. (Th LGCs are almost too much if smoked at speed.)
The mucus membranes in the mouth absorb plenty of nicotine.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Nicotine hits me as hard as caffeine. So, I do just fine without inhaling and I'm a half "caf" kind of guy. 8O

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
5. Snorting :crazy:

Don't knock it until you've tried it. And hey, if you don't like it in the schnozz, sprinkle of snuff on top of a pipe bowl is pretty damned amazing too; brings the nicotine to "mild" blends, and imparts a unique flavour.
I am an embattled cigarette smoker myself, amongst the suggestions you've already gotten (particularly IF and UF), I would look to the following:
Latakia/Oriental forward

MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian

Presbyterian Mixture

Dunhill Standard Mixture

Dunhill Nightcap

Captain Earles Ten Russians

Captain Earles Stimulus Package
Va forward

Dunhill Navy Deluxe Rolls/Escudo

McClellands St. James Woods

McClellands Backwoods Flake

McClellands Tudor Castle