PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
And I say THREE CHEERS FOR STofPA and Russ and friends!! OUTSTANDING tobacco and I thoroughly enjoyed it and intend to acquire more and enjoy it more!
Obviously the reviews, dissections, descriptions, and opinions are all already out there. I just wanted to say I really liked it!! What fun!! STofPA has just made my year with a whole range of great tobaccos! Thank you! Live long and prosper! (FDA be goshderned as it were.)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks, gents. We thought that Green was a bit of a gamble but Russ really came through on that one too. I've been enjoying the Green and the Bar as well.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
hi -- where would one get these war horses, as i've never seen it before?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/109238/war-horse-bar/#p-219047
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/109239/war-horse-green/#p-219048

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
@pitchfork

I'm liking the Green, too. Have you tried the regular Bar (Red)?
I haven't tried it yet but now it becomes mandated!! Man, I just wallowed in that nice long slow bowl of Green last night... I did note that it was very good I had a big meal beforehand! War Horse RR has been in my rotation since it came out... REALLY enjoy that one too!! The Pennsylvania Boys just keep delivering hit after hit! Here's to 'em!!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I had the opportunity to try a small bowl of the red and the green. I couldn't remember which I liked better, but was trying to stick to a budget. So I ordered a tin of red. I hope it is as wonderful as I recall. If not, I'll get the green soon. Does anyone have a good description of the differences, from a personal taste, not just what's on the tin?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
War Horse Bar and Green are the exact same blend of tobaccos. The difference is in the toppings. War Horse Bar is a little more understated than the Green, but they use similar flavors. The floral note in WHB is Valerian, while the floral in Green is Heliotrope.
Russ

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Valerian:
valerian-600x481.jpg

Heliotrope:
heliotrope-sachet-web-600x450.jpg

I read that Valerian can be used to treat sleep disorders, nervous problems, psychological distresses of various kinds, menopause, and hot flashes. I read that the primary uses of heliotrope were for "perfumery", aroma-therapy, and "colorization". So I'll get WHB and save a bundle on the shrinks, and WHG to put color into my life! This just keeps getting better and better!!
Doesn't WHG have a healthy dollop of anise as well?

Reactions: Tintennessee

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Russ I opened my tin of WHG on Christmas day and was immediately overwhelmed by fennel, star anise and liquorice. Smoking it reminded me of rolling in a Marseille gutter after a night on the petit jaune, the sticky tounge coating viscosity of pastis was there in all its gallic glory, but I could not break trough to the tobacco at all.

From what I read once open the topping slows down and the tobacco pushes trough. I'll wait to see if this is the case for me.

In the meantime I wonder if you would be good enough to describe the flavour of heliotrope ? As it's not one I would be familiar with.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Doesn't WHG have a healthy dollop of anise as well?

It does, but it's a part of a mélange of flavors.
In the meantime I wonder if you would be good enough to describe the flavour of heliotrope ?

It's a more subtle floral influence, not anywhere near as perfume-like as some other (like rose geranium).
Thank you for sharing such detail, Russ.

The process was so challenging and rewarding that I'm glad to share some insight.
Russ

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As much as I like the Bar, I like the Green more. The Bar's topping seems more complex while the green seems to gather into a darkness, and although there's more complexity than that darkness, I would say that the darkness dominates.
The tobaccos are quite simply the best flavored tobaccos I've smoked. The Lakelands are certainly enjoyable, but the topping is so strong that it's all I can taste. With these blends, the topping is moderate, not full, and I can still taste the tobacco.
Overall the tobaccos and the toppings are very well-blended. My heartiest congratulations to Standard Tobacco and Russ Ouellette!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I was just munching on a Harry & Davids chocolate covered cherry, wondering why it tasted so familiar, then I thought - Oh Yeah, War Horse Green!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
When me and Dan took the proto-type on the road for some guys to sample I asked one 'wing nut' how he like the War Horse Bar and he told me it was the best 'chaw' he had ever had! So much for years of patient blending and research when the end consumer thinks its a nicotine version of Bazooka Joe bubble gum!! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.