PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I placed it here in the general part of the forum because if you bear with me and read on, you will see that it does indeed deal with general pipe smoking. Please oh great moderator/s do not let thine wrath be wrecked upon your poor humble servant.

This is all, 'cross-my-heart and spit-on-the-floor', true. I'm going to be 64 soon and I take a number of meds. Some for a hiatus hernia and also sleep meds. The name of the sleep medication is Sublinox which is a sublingual form of sleep medication meaning you place it under your tongue about 20 minutes before you wand to fall asleep. I have suffered with insomnia for years. Anyway, sometimes just before I climb into bed or, if I wake up around 1am, something in my brain says, "Get up and forage" or, "gee, it's one o'clock in the morning! What a great time to make yourself a cup of coffee! So I will get up and in a semi-zombie like half sleep state start rummaging around in the pantry for something to eat. It's important to note that I don't open my eyes and I don't turn on the light. The reason is because that would mean coming completely awake. The goal is to forage and not totally wake up so you can then go back to bed. I eat whatever I can lay my hands on without opening my eyes. Crackers, raw macaroni, assorted baking ingredients my wife keeps in the pantry and raw oatmeal. The raw oatmeal shoveled into my mouth with my fingers and my eyes closed is especially good. I think. The conversation from my dearest in the morning usually goes something like this. "What the hell is all this stuff on the kitchen floor? It looks like a herd of squirrels or raccoons have been in here during the night! Were you up looking for something to eat again last night?????
This past Sunday night I had a craving for a coffee. Don't ask me WHY I wanted a cup of coffee at 1am in the morning or how I made myself a coffee at 1am in the morning. Well, actually I have become quite skilled at foraging at night in the pantry. Then I truly had a light-bulb moment. Yes indeed my fine pipe smoking friends I truly did.
I decided to come downstairs to my office with coffee in hand, turn on my PC and then, oh yes, and then put a 'WTB' thread IN THE CORRECT AREA OF THE FORUM!
This is kind of sorta where I crashed and burned. Fumbling around with the mouse and getting to the correct place on the correct forum half asleep with your eyes mostly closed is truly a challenge. I managed to find the correct forum. I even managed to find the correct AREA of the forum. Or so I thought.

I turned the PC off. Finished my coffee in the dark. Crawl-walked back up stairs and slipped quietly and smugly back into bed. HA! Mission accomplished.

As soon as my phone chirped yesterday morning and I saw the message was from a moderator I had a real, "Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!" moment wracking my brain trying to recall what I must have done wrong last night.

Even worse, what did I buy? Did I have my credit card? Where is my credit card dammit!

Yes folks, it was a moderator informing me that I had placed my WTB in the God bleeping wrong area and he had deleted it. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you God! I didn't spend any money indiscreetly. I'll still be married this evening.

There it is folks. The really humiliating thing is that my wife and my kids know about my nocturnal forays into the pantry and have even caught me making gakking sounds with my mouth half full of soggy, raw oatmeal. And they laughed at me! Laughed at me the gawd dammed ingrates!!!!!!!!!!!!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I feel for ya, brother. I, too, am a notorious somnambuleater. There is no disgusting combination of foods that is safe from me in the middle of the night!

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
Thanks for the chuckle!! It's probably worse that I do this all with both eyes wide open and conscious every moment, although I don't tend to eat the raw type foodstuffs or generally "prepare" anything like coffee I do tend to wake up mid sleep with desire to eat/drink on occasion.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well told!
My lady heard some swearing last night from outside the bedroom, and safely assumed it was me. I have no recollection of getting up, nor talking, nor where I went, much less why. So far, no meds to contend with, and while not frequent the sleep walking concerns me a tiny bit.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Funny stuff.
I take the generic of Ambien (Zolipidem) as sleeping is a war I've been fighting since high school. Last week my wife one morning asked " do you remember last night?" I asked what happened? Apparently I successfully provided oral gratification to her....She said " That shows you been doing this so well, and so long, you can do it in your sleep" :mrgreen:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
You got lucky. It could have been FAR worse. I was half expecting you ate some dog food or made coffee from a tin of Nightcap.
@Hobie1dog +1 :clap:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
She said"great job last night". He said"why does my breath smell like shit". She said"I told you to wait till I turned over!".... :crazy:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've had the experience of eating in the middle of the night under the influence of Ambien with little memory of it. Also had gotten some of my best eBay scores at 2 am under the influence of Ambien. :lol:

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Oh, boy, I can definitely emphasize! I, too have made many sleepwalking forays to the fridge, usually digging into some spicy hot Thai curry which then subsequently disrupts the rest of my sleep. I've really got to be careful now, though, since I apparently fell down the stairs a couple of times (which I don't remember at all) and woken up with an assortment of bruises and cuts. So no more sleep meds for me! At least I didn't try to smoke a pipe while asleep - probably would have burned the house down. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.