PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesmoker66

Lurker
Aug 11, 2014
Relatively new pipe smoker here. I may be out in left field here, but I just have to ask why anyone would spend in the $600-$800 range for a very ho-hum looking Dunhill? I get that they are high quality, but they are all very boring-nothing-special looking pipes that I could get several pretty high quality copies of for a lot less money. If I had that kind of cash for a pipe in the first place, I would much rather spend it on a great artisan pipe. Would like to hear your thoughts. What am I missing? (Please, no hostility; it's just my own personal opinion)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
To each his own I guess. Like you, I would rather spend the money on one or two really nice Artesian pipes but Dunhill has their followers. I used to be one, at one point owning around sixteen or so. There is a solid history behind the brand and definite name recognition. I do not own any now but would pick one up if the price is right. In my opinion, their pricing is too high for a new one these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think you're missing anything. It's a calculated choice. Dunhill has cultivated its brand at the high

price end and lives up to its rep with quality, history, and a great system for stamping its pipes so they can

be dated and identified. You are absolutely right about artisan pipes. I buy from a carver who lives out in the

country and sells beautifully crafted pipes with a folk art touch that he sells twice at year at the state fair and

pipe show, for remarkably low prices; some of the pipes crafted from Mountain Laurel instead of briar. I don't

own a Dunhill but would love to discover one at flea market at an affordable price. Am I going to spend

$800 (or $595 or whatever) on a new one, or $300 on an estate Dunhill? No.
I have to disagree on your assessment of Dunhill design. They do paradigm versions of classic English pipes,

which are really derived from French designs of old, and most of their interpretations are incomparable, but

not to everyone's taste. Welcome to Forums!

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Econ 101. They cost that much because people will pay that much. End of story. It's all about perception, cachet, price enforced rarity, and somewhere down at fifth or sixth on the list, utility.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Why do people buy a Rolex when a $50 quartz will keep more accurate time, or buy a Porsche or Ferrari? Some people like nice things. As soon as a birth year pipe (1966) comes up that I like and can afford I too will own a Dunhill.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
but they are all very boring-nothing-special looking pipes
I guess to each his own here, but I prefer the traditional lines of a good classic Dunhill. Many Artisan pipes, in my mind anyway, are too far out in left field. I like the classics, and nobody does the classic billiard like Dunhill. Everyone's tastes are different, as is everyone's budget. AAAAHHHH, the can 'o worms has been opened! :roll:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Who cares? If you don't want the pipe, then don't get it. If you do, then get it if you can. They are fantastic smokers, but so are a lot of pipes for less.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Look on some online retailers sites.It's not hard at all to find pipes priced over $800.In my opinion Dunhills though they smoke great are over priced.They are far from being the only ones though.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Yup, I'm going to have to say Dunhill makes some downright stunning pipes. That said, there are a lot of option in the price point. That is one of the beautiful things about pipes, there is something to fit every taste.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Why would anyone spend great sums of money on a Dunhill? They have a great product and tremendous marketing. Kind of like Apple products. The fans believe they are using a superior product. It is all a matter of personal taste, and it is pretty difficult to argue that.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Dunhill has a reputation and a history that many like. Also, for some lucky ones out there, $600-800 isn't a lot to spend on a well made pipe (they are not considered by anyone to be a "value" pipe).
Personally I don't have that kind of money, so my Dunhills were picked up as estates (and one was a gift).
Also, in regards to their pipes being ho-hum. I get what you mean. Some are quite dull looking. But at the same time, some people prefer a simple yet classic pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Every seller has a price point they aim for as part of their marketing strategy. They can either sell a few high quality pipes for higher prices to those willing and able to pay a lot, or they can sell a lot of pipes at lower prices most of us can afford to pay. Many manufacturers have tried to tap both markets by marketing separate lines of pipes but have to do so by selling under separate banners or risk losing exclusivity of the higher priced lines. We are fortunate we can all enjoy pipe smoking at some level most of us can afford.
I'd love to have a Dunhill someday but it's probably going to be one I stumble across at a flea market or antique store.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Great question, I have asked myself that quite a few times. Not about Dunhill pipes, they have the reputation of putting out top notch quality product that has come from generations of making quality pipes.
I often ask that question when it comes to new pipemakers that have only been around a short while, put out only a few pipes a year, mostly the "unique" styles because they couldn't make a traditional billard if their life depended on it, and then ask $400.00 plus...
But, as it has been said many times before....to each his own....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why would anyone spend great sums of money on a Dunhill? They have a great product and tremendous marketing.
Probably the best known pipe maker, whose products have transcended their function to become a symbol of quality and success. You're not just buying the product, you're buying the cachet.
Kind of like Apple products. The fans believe they are using a superior product.
Not exactly, Apple was revolutionary while Dunhill upholds tradition. I've use Apples, PC's, Linux and UNIX based platforms. After 38 years of professional film and TV experience, 23 years in image processing and computer graphics for films and TV, I know that Apple is still superior for my needs, though the gap between Apple and the PC world has shrunk by a lot. Apple's handling of color data, which is critical in my work, is still better.
It is all a matter of personal taste, and it is pretty difficult to argue that.
No argument there.
I often ask that question when it comes to new pipemakers that have only been around a short while, put out only a few pipes a year, mostly the "unique" styles because they couldn't make a traditional billard if their life depended on it, and then ask $400.00 plus...
True that. The artisan movement is going through life stages, and there is no shortage of BS for high $. But, the best artisans can produce beautiful classical shapes as well as personal flights of fancy, and that does require more actual skill. And when someone with serious classical chops can also produce pipes which represent their personal aesthetic and are instantly recognizable, then that artisan has moved well beyond technical skill.
But, as it has been said many times before....to each his own...
True that as well. Some people buy names or flavors of the month. Others don't.

Mar 1, 2014
pipesmoker66
Relatively new pipe smoker here. I may be out in left field here, but I just have to ask why anyone would spend in the $600-$800 range for a very ho-hum looking Dunhill? I get that they are high quality, but they are all very boring-nothing-special looking pipes that I could get several pretty high quality copies of for a lot less money. If I had that kind of cash for a pipe in the first place, I would much rather spend it on a great artisan pipe. Would like to hear your thoughts. What am I missing? (Please, no hostility; it's just my own personal opinion)
You may also note the sometimes ravenous mob of Cob followers on the forum. People who have and can obviously afford much more expensive pipes, so why settle for a Cob?

Some people are attracted to a high price, and some are more attracted to a low price. Both are perfectly usable and I understand both sides. I have enough money sunk into pipes to equal a few Dunhills, and sometimes I think I'd be better off with less, more expensive pipes.

I tend to go through this thought process with every "tool" (expensive toy). Sometimes I end up with just a few high end pieces and sometimes I keep nothing but the least expensive (but equally functional).

There is one caveat, I abhor marketing oriented products, which probably puts Dunhill on my black list (right beside Rolex, Mont Blank, and Levi's jeans).

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I love Dunhills- currently have 4 and find a lot of inspiration for pipes I make in their older, more unusual designs. If I were to personally buy a new billiard- I think two of the best are Chris Askwith and Walt Cannoy....

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I have several Dunhills but did not pay retail for most of them. I have one new one that just called out to me but it was a smaller group 3 and around $200 several years ago. The retail price has really gone up here in the US but you can still get them a little cheaper from Al Pascia. Mine are all great smokers and the quality is second to none. Saying that, I also have many pipes that smoke just as well and were not as expensive. The great thing about pipes is there are many out there and you can pick the ones you like at a price you like. Dunhill is just a staple of pipe smoking and has a great history.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
@pipesmoker66 - welcome to the forums! I have a 'classic' Dunhill - a Bruyere 4103. I bought it simply because I wanted one - the brand and history attracted me. The Dunhill is beatiful and I'm very glad I have it, but we have an on-off smoking relationship. It can burn very hot and I'm only now (9 months later) really understanding the best way to work with it. I have much cheaper pipes - including cobs - that smoke better and I'm getting into artisan pipes. They are a different field and a joy to smoke. The Dunhill was a rite of passage, I suppose, but one I'm happy I made.
Andy

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I don't have any Dunhills but I do love their classic look and their rich history. Right now I collect Petersons and Ehrlichs, but someday I'll step up to the big leagues and get a few Dunhills.

Status
Not open for further replies.