Tags:  No tags yet. 

I have become a snob

(43 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by trouttimes
  • Latest reply from dethmutt
  1. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I usually keep 4 or so blends in my truck for when I'm out and about. This morning I grabbed a pouch of Carter Hall and fired up a bowl for an hour drive. As many old pipers, this was my regular smoke for years but I haven't smoked it in a while. This time I found myself searching for some depth in this smoke. It really left me flat. I dumped the bowl about half way thru and reloaded my pipe with another favorite, Magus Opus. There it was. The flavor depth I have come to expect. Has my taste changed that much or have I become a snob? The last two years I have "expanded" my cellar greatly with things like Plub Pudding, Navy Flake, etc. has anyone else experienced this?

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tastes and preferences change, at least for me. I used to love latakia based blends, until everything I smoked tasted like salt. I then moved to virginias and vapers. Rode that train for a few years. Currently I'm exploring Carter Hall, Velvet, Prince Albert, but most importantly Granger.

Now, do I still smoke Dunhill Flake, Klondike Gold and St. James......hell yes. But for just mindless smoking while driving or working, but still wanting taste...its a Codger for me.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I wish CH had not left me flat. It would be a lot cheaper! I'll give it another try later today but I don't hold a lot of hope.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a total snob, and I think it's ok. We should all aspire for the best of things, and we can't have a best without a worst, no winners without losers, and scowling at the losers is the prerogative of winning... correct?

But, on the other hand, I do tolerate a bowl of Carter Hall when mowing the lawn. Whatever that casing is they use compliments the lawn mower exhaust and smells of cut grass and gasoline. But, I would never dream of just smoking Carter Hall for... enjoyment. Pshaw.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Login to Send PM

I haven't experienced it yet, but I'm still discovering things for myself. I have yet to feel that unsatisfying smoke from one or the other, but I get a more satisfying smoke at times from one versus the other.

Had some Mac Baren Modern Virginia burn the crap out of my mouth one day
    Not with tongue bite, but just this all around mouth burning feeling. It's like I was smoking a tobacco that had been soaked in Texas Pete. I dumped half the bowl, placed on my desk for a future trial. Smoked it a month later with no problems.

Not sure why this happens, but the body wants what the body wants, and if CH does it, then so be it. If not, if the body needs $50 oz. tobacco, then I'm getting a new body or quittin' cause that shit'll be too rich for my blood.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's because MacBaren Modern Virginia is an aromatic; despite what the company says, it's an apricot aromatic.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's no reason to feel guilty for liking nice things. Often, you get what you pay for.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes it's all on your body. I can smoke other blends, I just don't want to. Like trouttimes said, some times you are looking for that depth and flavor. Where I get that only from Carter Hall. Other blends just don't do it for me. It's a favorite of many people, such as Cosmic and I. Where we just can't get enough of it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Favorite, might just be too strong of a word for it. Ha ha!!

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try mixing the Carter Hall 50-50 with Prince Albert, you may enjoy the CH a lot more. Let it meld for about a month to get the full effect.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

A pouch of Five Brothers May be in order

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@trout, as a fellow fly fisherman, here is a reference to ponder. People often say that the big trophy trout are hard to catch because they are "smart". In truth, as research has proven, they are actually hard to catch because they are not smart. They have survived and grown because their brain honed in on how to maximize calories per each bite. This occurs via experience. They spot natural movements of bugs/fish/critters with precision. So if anything acts unnatural they know it's not worth their time or will not yield maximum results. Thus, a perfect cast, perfect drift, perfect retrieve do in fact matter if only to make the fly act as simply natural as possible in hopes the fish will open its mouth.

How does this apply to tobacco? I think that eventually we all learn what tobacco/pipe/accessories/mood will maximize our smoking experience. We become not smart like trophy trout. We just know what we want and what requires the least amount of work. I call it experience, not snobbery. Pipe on fishing brother.

Neal
    Posted 3 months ago #
  13. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Snob? I don't think of it that way. It's just that I prefer Virginias and VaPers and the old codgers just don't scratch that itch. Even when it comes to burley, there are more satisfying burley blends with more flavor and nicotine. There are times, like this morning walking the dog when I loaded a cob with LL Ready-Rubbed, when a mild codger is ok. It tasted good but it just won't do the trick most of the time. A steady diet of it would get awful boring for me.

Tim
    Posted 3 months ago #
  14. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a snob currently smoking all of the codger like blends looking for the one tub that will fulfill me on those days that I don't really want to pick a good tobacco.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I backtracked to codger blends after starting with up-market and then premium blends. I don't think there's a snob question involved, unless you make it so. Codger blends have good things to offer, but they can also tire you out with their limits after a while. A range of blends keeps me happiest.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think that smoking the better quality codger re-makes by H&H is the pinnacle of snobbery. Like Porsche saying, "we've made our own version of a Pinto, so that you can feel what it is like to drive a piece of shit, without having to get all dirty from driving a used car."
    H&H is saying, "you can try the OTC crap, without having to be subjected to the crappy leaf they use."

Ha ha, and to reiterate, I don't think there is a single thing wrong with being a snob. In fact, we should all aspire to enjoy the best things in life.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Enjoying one blend over another doesn't make you a snob. A pipe or tobacco snob is, in my opinion, one who says something along the lines of, "you're not a true pipe smoker unless you smoke a real blend like Penzance in a real pipe such as a Castello." Or something like, "I turn my nose up at your measly little Dr. Grabow and your Captain Black. They are beneath a true connoisseur of the leaf and the briar such as I. Begone lowly wretch with your cheap wooden thing and your dust you call tobacco! Return to the hovel from which you came! You stink of cheap burley and cabbage!" Not sure why I threw cabbage in there, but you get the idea. No sir, you have not become a snob. You smoke what you like in the pipe you like. Nothing wrong with that.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 months ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, being a snob is the enjoyment of these things, and detesting the poorer varieties is snobbish. Being conceited is putting down those who are not as lucky.

To say that I only enjoy the best (or that I would never smoke...) is snobbish. Saying that you aren't as good as me because you smoke Carter Hall is conceited.
    There's a difference. Long live the snob, and punch the conceited bastard in the face.

But, of course the nuances of language gets lost on some of a rabble around here.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

But, of course the nuances of language gets lost on some of a rabble around here.

Plebeians!

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClalland, I wasn't if anyone would "get" that. You are obviously a man of class and distinction... and an appreciator of irony.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since I've seen it mentioned so often here, I recently purchased a couple of pouches of Carter Hall. Have smoked a few bowls, it's a pleasant blend. If it is all I had to smoke, I would smoke it. But it lacks the body and complexity of so many better blends. If CH hits someone's sweet spot and they want to smoke it all the time, that's great. It doesn't for me and unless I'm in a pinch, I don't see myself smoking it. If smoking what I enjoy makes me a snob, then I'm a snob.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

See just because Cosmics favorite blend is Carter Hall, doesn't mean you gotta talk down to the poor guy.... To each his own!

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No offense to U.S Codger blends but yes, somehow they all seem to lack body&complexity,at least when I'm comparing them say to another Imported Otc's such as Amphoras or some Mc Barens standard offerings, But I still consider these U.S Otc's are good value and decent quality on their own range.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 months ago #
  24. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always been a snob. Never wanted to try the OTCs. Heck, one of my first threads in these forums was about which blends were OTCs, so that I would never buy them.

Thus, no Carter Hall, Borkum Riff, Craptain Black, or the like for my pipes.

I'm still interested in smoking Hearth & Home's version of crap, though: Chatham Manor, which doesn't have the additives Carter Hall does. Unfortunately, it's only available in a tub, and the duties for that would be stratospheric. I'll stick with my Vauen blends.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  25. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Nah, your taste just improved

Sorta kidding, I still enjoy Carter Hall for what it is

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

Tastes change. Mine sure has over the years with beer.

I still like Carter hall, but am still a newbe.

Dan

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go with the Five Bothers try. If your truck breaks down you will be able to run to wherever you are going.

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

I smoke Five Brothers (strictly out of a cob - I’ve a ‘no burley-forward blends from briars’ rule) more often than I admit. Well, I guess my secret is out now - lol I do however smoke a few bowls of 5B when I’m exorcising a briar ghost. It works for me more often than not. I hate reaming, salting, all that rot when a serious briar refresh has to be done.

But yeah, when I’ve only a few minutes for a smoke, 5B is a go-to.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

A good sense of irony is a rare thing, these days.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I tried Carter Hall and while I thought it tasted ok for an OTC, I found it gave me a sore throat for some weird reason. I guess I'm a snob too.

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Certain codger blends, for certain niches of pipe smoking, are the premium tobaccos. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic strikes me as better balanced and more tobacco forward than a number of premium and private aromatic blends (blends that I do enjoy, but think suffer by comparison). So you may hate SWRA, and that's fine. But I think a number of the codgers have enough to offer that they fit in well, individual blends for individual smokers, in an array of more expensive blends. Likewise, the H&H MIdtown codger matches appeal to me not for their matching, but for their good traits in their own right. I don't love all codger blends, nor most. But when I find one I like, I don't avoid it because of its history and marketing.

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

willyspiper

Login to Send PM

for me, its the range of tobaccos that seems to enhance the flavor of all of them. When I stuck to just 3-4 blends, there was not much flavor to any of them after awhile. As my cellar grew to over a dozen blends, I started to enjoy even the worst tobacco if I rotated my blends continuously. I do not feel there is any "Bad" tobacco, just tobacco you are not in the mood for at the moment.

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

You all have valid points. Lets just say I'm not in the mood for Carter Hall right now, maybe not ever but I won't throw it out. I'll use it to blend with. I also rotate what I smoke regularly between 5 or 6 blends. In my cellar at last count I had 40 or so blends all of which I smoke 1 or 2 bowls with in a 45 to 60 day period. I agree your taste change from time to time but for me, it has been usually to more complex blends.

Posted 3 months ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking a codger blend is like riding a moped or screwing a fat girl... it might be fun, but just don't let your friends see you doing it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  35. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

Smoking a codger blend is like riding a moped or screwing a fat girl... it might be fun, but just don't let your friends see you doing it.

Cosmic, you missed your true calling... Stand Up Comedian. Maybe in our next life huh? Funny.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 3 months ago #
  36. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

You all have valid points. Lets just say I'm not in the mood for Carter Hall right now, maybe not ever but I won't throw it out. I'll use it to blend with. I also rotate what I smoke regularly between 5 or 6 blends. In my cellar at last count I had 40 or so blends all of which I smoke 1 or 2 bowls with in a 45 to 60 day period. I agree your taste change from time to time but for me, it has been usually to more complex blends.

I usually get bored of Carter Hall during the colder months. However, once spring comes around and I'm spending my evenings by the fire on the patio drinking beer, Carter Hall is almost always the blend that I reach for first. I started smoking Lane Ready Rubbed (another codger burley) this fall, and I like it enough that it will probably get added to the summertime rotation as well. In circumstances like this, a refined and complex blend would go to waste since the nuance would be lost during the multi-beer, multi-pipe assault on my taste buds.

Also, I have yet to find any blend of any genre that goes better with black coffee than Carter Hall.

Posted 3 months ago #
  37. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I suspect you'll return to Carter Hall at a later date and enjoy it again. Taste changes just like the seasons.

Posted 3 months ago #
  38. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only smoke Sobranie 759. But I only smoke it in Brylon to keep me grounded.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  39. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy smoking my own mix of 5 parts Margate to 0 parts Carter Hall, I think it adds just the right amount of nutty Burley goodness to such a rich and tasty English blend.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  40. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I just smoke what I like. That changes constantly. Likely because of some factor in body chemistry, and who knows what else. I like CH, but not as much as I used to. I have no idea why this is so.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 3 months ago #
  41. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy smoking my own mix of 5 parts Margate to 0 parts Carter Hall, I think it adds just the right amount of nutty Burley goodness to such a rich and tasty English blend.

Excellent mixture. But you should try 6:0 sometime....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  42. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the club.

I had Escudo and such before trying Carter Hall. When I got to Carter Hall I found it rather bland. I totally understood why people use it to cut a harsh blend. It will never be in my cellar ever again though, because to me it's just a bland uninteresting blend. So to those who enjoy it, you're welcome for my not buying it giving you more to stock away.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 months ago #
  43. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

0.o I don't think we have to worry about you buying it to intrude into our stores!

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mawnansmiff, cosmicfolklore, jrbjr, adforbes, ray47, cossackjack, bnichols23, chasingembers, dukdalf, drrock