PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
One of my favorite Germain blends is the Royale Jersey Perique. I love the tin aroma, ease of packing / smoking, and the tremendously subtle flavor. I have recently tried some Esoterica Dorchester and Germain Medium Flake, and I am fully convinced they are the same tobacco in varying cuts. The Royale Jersey Perique is a fine ribbon cut, the Dorchester a broken flake, and the Medium Flake is (You guessed it) a flake.
These blends smell identical,to my memory, and are pretty similar in flavor as well.
Has anyone tried these blends side by side? Is Germain simply offering the same blend,under different names,with different cuts?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A smart blender would start with a general tobacco, then find ways to augment it to make additional tobaccos. First he makes A, then A becomes B, C and D with one step (or so) each. Simple efficiency!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Could be! You might try writing the company, and see if you get an amusing reply. Maybe a serious one. But not many blenders want to give clues to their components or methodology.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
First he makes A, then A becomes B, C and D with one step (or so) each. Simple efficiency!
I see what you are saying, but this is more like they took "A" and cut it three ways.
But not many blenders want to give clues to their components or methodology.
This is my mindset.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
MVF is not Dorchester. I'd eat my hat if it was the same. It's been awhile, but I recall Royal Jersey Perique having more perique than Dorchester and having a deeper stewed fruit flavor, but it's been long enough that I wouldn't promise to eat my hat on that one since it's been so long.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Between all of their custom blends for various sellers and their own menu, it seems when it comes to keeping things in stock, they've over extended themselves. What is likely a perfect situation from their perspective, seems lacking from ours. I've sent emails recommending that they relocate their operation to Moody, AL, but thus far have been unresponsive.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Here's where we'd like to hear from Russ O, or Rich from 4Noggins, or Jeremy Reeves, or Greg Pease, about the art of blending.

My question is: How does TIME factor in to the final presentation?
I can imagine that ingredients are measured and mixed in various ways, and that time is consumed in the process, but how or, is, time itself included in the process as essential to the product?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
None of the three are the same. There is no perique in Medium Flake, and the tobaccos have a little earthiness that isn't present in the other two. It also has darker Virginias than the other two, and a little dark fruit not present in the other two. The Royal Jersey with Perique is grassier than the other two with a little perique, and less fruitiness, less variety of same than the other two. Dorchester has a wider variety of sweetness and fruitiness than the other two, uses mostly all brighter Virginias than the other two, is less grassier than the others, and the perique is often elusive, whereas in the RYwP, you taste it on a regular, but mild basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.