PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I don't mind paying taxes, but IL Dept of Rev is making it impossible this year. My woodworking business owes $12 in sales tax, but I can't get their website to work. They sent me a letter threatening a $250 late fee. I have spent almost 10 hours beating on their site. Of course the help line is only open during normal business hours. I really don't want to burn a vacation day to pay a bill.
Winton

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You hate tax time? Good, you've passed your psychological evaluation with flying colors. Anyone out there

really enjoying tax time? Seek help immediately.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Actually, I enjoy tax time normally. That is when I evaluate did I do better last year than the year before! I also evaluate other peoples tax returns on a daily basis, since I am a mortgage underwriter. I even know how to read T1's, T4's and T2's for you Canadians.
My wife got seriously interested in me, when we were dating, when she found out I enjoy finances. "Yay! I won't have to do it, like my mother used to!!!" She just volunteered to collect the daughter from some school activity, so I could continue paying bills.
Winton (the weirdo)

Aug 14, 2012
I closed my online store last June out of frustration over sales tax forms. I was so annoyed with the state I started writing angry letters to the governor. It finally worked. They sent me the phone number of a state tax executive I could contact with problems. But by then I had given up. It was time to retire anyway. They penalized me for filing late, though I started begging for forms long before the due date, but they did eventually return the penalty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggymountain, congratulations on winning any concession from the tax folks. That is a rare and beautiful

thing.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I had a martial arts school and sold t-shirts and stuff through it. Nothing fancy, I rented space from a local gym. I stopped selling the t-shirts because the state was being a PIA about the sales taxes even though I kept meticulous records and always paid the paltry amount on time. Even after I surrendered my sales license they still harassed me for 12 months and tried to assess a fine that exceeded my sales for a year. I beat it, but dang what a drag and time suck that was.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have always hated doing my taxes and most likely always will. I keep receipts and records for everything. About 30 years ago I was audited by the IRS. It was the first year that I had substantial freelance work in addition to my salaried work through a studio.
The auditor was the sort of gimlet eyed fanatic that would have been at home on Grimm. I had made a lot of mistakes regarding some claimed expenses, and as I subsequently found out, the auditor had misled me about others. In any event, I got handed a whopping bill, with penalties, that would have put me in the street.
The evening after receiving my judgement from the IRS I met up with a friend, an architectural photographer, for dinner at a cheap downtown artists' hangout, Gorky's, to drown my sorrows in their home made beer and greasy food.
People sat at long communal tables. As I was working on my 3rd beer, we were joined by two young women who asked if they could sit with us. Hoping that I might get lucky I welcomed them to join us. We all started chatting and they asked us what we did, and naturally I asked them what they did for a living.
The two gals at first tried to avoid answering, saying that their line of work was arcane, but eventually spilled that they were both auditors who worked for the IRS. I nearly gagged on my beer, quickly set the mug down and made the sign of the cross at them.
It came up that I had just been audited and the two women started asking a bunch of questions and began laughing at some of my replies. I wasn't seeing anything funny at the moment, but they calmed me down and explained that they were going to help me, because the auditor who had done my audit was "dirty" and that I needed to fight the audit or I could expect to be audited repeatedly in future. They said that such auditors needed to be kicked out of the IRS.
They recommended several books to reference for record keeping and tax law for artists. They also gave me a game plan that would cause the "dirty" auditor to burn up hundreds of hours on my case, while the judgement continued to shrink.
Over the next several months I sent one request for revision after another to the "dirty" auditor and eventually got the judgement down to under $30.
I then walked into the IRS office where I had been audited and requested the "dirty" auditor's supervisor. I handed the original judgement and the latest revision over to the supervisor, asked him to look it over, and left. Two seeks later I received a notice from the IRS that I had passed my audit.
While I had made mistakes regarding deductions, most of those involved deductions that I was entitled to take and had missed, which the "dirty" auditor neglected to mention. Since them, I'm very meticulous in my record keeping. I'm also very thankful for the two IRS angels who helped me.
I hate doing taxes.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Ditto. I have just written a letter to HMRC with a lame, but credible excuse for not submitting my return on time. I doubt they will be sympathetic!

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
My 5ax man doesn't even call, he just automatically files an extension for me. Hows that for customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.