PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I don’t care whose singing or dancing. BORING!!
I went to a musical play in Vegas a few years ago. There were naked women singing, and bouncing around the stage. I was sooooooo bored I left and went gambling. My buddy who was with me and my wife said.
“Frankie. Nude women bouncing around on that stage, and you left?”
So last night my wife forced me to go to a musical at a local high school. She was bugging me for weeks. “I don’t wanna go.” I kept telling her.
“You gotta go. You gotta go. You gotta go. It’s my niece who is in it.”
“Mamma Mia." I said. "But your niece doesn’t even like me. None of those people do. So why should I have to suffer through that crap?”
So I went to the musical, and now I‘m in the dog house.
BIG deal, I fell asleep during the play.
“Your snoring embarrassed me.” My wife yelled on our way home. “Everyone was staring at us.”
Now the good thing is, she’ll never ask me to go to another one of those damn musicals.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm not a fan of musicals either and my wife has learned that a lot of things are better without me, the most recent has been grocery shopping. I'm getting closer and closer to not having to interact with the general public any longer.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't like musicals either! When I was a kid my parents made a big deal about taking a train to Detroit to see the King and I in Panorama or something. I didn't hate it but I liked the train ride better, especially when my grandpa took me back to the club car with him so he could have a cigarette and beer. No one was worried about second hand smoke then! (or second had beer either)
But since then I never liked musicals except for two: West Side Story, and Paint Your Wagon, mainly because they had an interesting story line, and characters. I have never seen The Sound of Music, or any other big musical hits. The funny part of this is, I do like opera! Maybe because I can see the work that goes into that kind of singing, and the stories are classic comedy, tragedy or some such. The music is classical which I like better too, whereas modern day musicals seem more like pop music. And no, I'm not going to see Hamilton either... :nana:

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
But since then I never liked musicals except for two: West Side Story, and Paint Your Wagon, mainly because they had an interesting story line, and characters.
I walked out of those two. I like some opera, and classical...but it has to be on the radio or on a CD. Please, no story line or acting to accompany the music, any music.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Symptom: "I Hate Musical Plays"
Prescription: Do not attend musical plays.
:)

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I agree, not a fan myself.

Although, I would like to see the train wreck "Spiderman the musical." The unintended comedic value is probably priceless

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
For about 10 years I was the assistant drama director for a local high school. We did musicals every other year and they were a lot more work than "straight" plays; especially difficult when my voice at best sounds like a cat in heat being run over by a steamroller. Some years were clunkers but The Music Man was always a favorite of mine. A toned down Into the Wood was pretty good as well. Bye Bye Birdie......please shoot me now!!!!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
In high school I played bass in the pit orchestra for three musicals, "Carousel", "Once Upon a Mattress" and "Oliver". I learned so much about teamwork, set design, lighting, acting and directing let alone playing, in such productions. It's probably because my parents never went to one of our shows that I volunteered at my own kid's high school productions including being a roadie for all their marching band competitions.
So if your kids get involved in school music and drama activities, I hope you will attend their performances and encourage them. (Even if you don't like it =)

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have seen a few, some where great and some sucked. But The Book of Mormon was probably the best two hours of entertainment I have seen in 30 years......20 anyway.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
About 25 years ago I went to a production of Don Giovanni at Indiana University with an artist I was dating at the time. She got us front row seats. I awoke to the site of a guy in white tights and green jacket, singing baritone with murder in his eyes, glaring at me not four feet away. I was sawing logs. Not a cute snore mind you.... I inherited my Father's shake the house, timber rattling, where's the chainsaw snore. Good show. One of my fondest memories. 8)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Musical theater ... well, sometimes. I don't think I've ever owned a recording of a musical. Fortunately for me, I can get "into" them when I attend with my wife, friends, etc. When I was a kid, I watched rehearsals and the final production of Gershwin brothers "Of Thee I Sing (Baby)." I liked the political satire on that one. But not a magnetic attraction for me, mostly. I like Broadway -- almost any show -- for the tradition and pageantry. I like an opera on occasion just because it's so excessive, but maybe not Wagner so much. I'm selective about music in general -- when I respond, I really love it, but I don't want it as a continual soundtrack in my life. I want to hear some real birdsong, wind, the clock ticking, the railroad a few miles away, human voices, a dog down the block. Leontyne Price sining "Madame Butterfly," that's not even earthly, from some other realm.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...when you think about it, it is really weird when the performers break into song in the middle of dialogue, and dance! But the Greeks, the Chinese, people in India, they all invented these musical entertainments thousands of years ago. The Pilgrims shut it all off for a few years in the wilderness, but it soon all happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.