PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Until this blend I had fallen in love with Nightcap and And So To Bed and had not found a blend to top the experience of those 2. This week I did. The blend is Pelican and with a year of age on it this is a sublime smoke. It's pretty light in comparison to the other 2 but has enough flavor to keep me interested for the whole smoke. On top of that, it's one of the coolest smoking blends I have. If like English/Oriental blends and you find a tin or 5 pick it up. If you don't like it I will personally trade you out of what you have for something you like better...it's that good IMO.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Oh come on! Don't post a change of life smoke of a blend I can't get my hands on. Foul on the play man. Next time lie and say it was a bulk something or another.

Aug 1, 2012
As of now, Iwan Ries has some and if you call around to a few places you can still get a few tins. It's tough to get but not near as bad a Penzance and the like. I've got enough in the cellar to last a bit but still picking up a few tins here and there. Dervis and Scrap, PM me if you need my other source for this tobacco.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Yep, Pelican is very good! (Your post made me frantically check stock in my own cellar! 10 tins, all from 2007. Whew.)
Since the Pelican is such a rare bird, though, you may find that you can also enjoy Penzance (which I prefer) and Germain's Special Latakia Flake (also very very good). At heart, these are all J.F. Germain blends, and I find that they are all more alike than different.
Of course, none of these blends is in danger of spurring an overstock sale! But I think that helps to make the pleasure of savoring a tin -- when you are able to find it -- all the richer.
Bob

Aug 1, 2012
In the interest of full disclosure, the Pelican listed in the link above is in the consignment tin section. And truthfully, I would probably pay that for a tin of this stuff if I ran out. I have been getting a few tins here and there but it seems to only be out once a year so you have to be vigilant and buy for the future.
Now to see if I can ever find a tin of Kingfisher (yeah right).
In other rare tobacco news, I also have 2 tins of Penzance coming in the mail today so I'll have to compare them to the bagged stuff in a year or 3.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Smokingpipes got some Butera Pelican in yesterday and it was all gone within the hour. Amazing. I asked the customer service rep if he could predict when they would see it again and he said it was impossible to predict. He mentioned the markets in Europe and Asia get stocked first and after those orders are filled the leftovers make it over to the rest of us in North America. I still haven't tried this blend, but will keep my eyes open for next time its available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why doesn't the principle of supply and demand work for tobacco blends? Too great a lead time? If I come across Pelican, I'll

want to try it. But maybe I won't go out shopping right now, from the sounds of things.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The question about "supply and demand" gets asked all the time. But the thing is that pipe tobacco is such a small market, it simply doesn't function the same way as other, much-larger industries. In the case of Pelican, Kingfisher, et al., they are produced by J.F. Germain, the same company that produces the Esoterica blends as well as the blends released under their own name. They use very old-fashioned -- not to mention just plain old and historic -- hand-operated machinery and they have a very small staff. And even though their tobaccos are highly sought-after, they aren't consumed in the same quantities as, say, a Lane or Stokkebye or MacBaren blend. They aren't going to add expensive machinery and staff when the odds are their market is actually going to decrease over time.
And, then, of course, it's easy to forget that tobacco is an agricultural crop. It changes from year to year -- sometimes dramatically. And sometimes certain leaf isn't even on the market. So, to guard against those variables, you either have to buy and warehouse large and expensive quantities of leaf. . . or you release limited quantities of blends when you have the tobacco on hand to do so. (I'm not saying Germain doesn't warehouse anything. But I don't see a company of their size having anything like the stockpiles that you'd find at, say, MacBaren or McClelland. I mean, MacBaren has leaf that is *decades* old!)
Bob

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I'm curious, I got a sample of And So To Bed from Duckfat when he was on here and absolutely loved it. How does the Pelican compare flavor wise? Figured I'd ask since you can smoke them back to back!

Status
Not open for further replies.