I finally tasted pipe tobacco, now I want more !

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
I finally tasted something out of my pipe. I have been smoking cigars for over 15 years, but only been smoking a pipe about a year. I finally tasted something. Arango Balkan Supreme ! Everything else has been extremely boring to me.. What else should I try, knowing that the Balkan supreme verifies that yes indeed I can taste pipe tobacco !

Here's what I have tried that has been tasteless to me-
Boswell blend 35

Boswell X-mas cookie

Boswell Northwoods

dunhill nightcap

Boswells premium burly

Milan tobacco buttered rum

Seattle pipe club Mississippi River

Cornell and diel autumn evening

escudo,

lane 1Q,

Boswell blend 35

5100 red cake

Larrys blend

H&H Aniv kake

Sep 18, 2015
Being a cigar smoker myself I can relate. For myself I had to give up the idea that the pipe has to stay lit, also I was puffing instead of 'sipping' which caused everything to burn 'hot = no flavor' pipe tobacco seems to be very subtle compared to cigars. Some suggestions would be GL Pease Gaslight, Crown Achievement and McClelland's Oriental #2045. I tend to get most of the 'taste' from the retro.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
I'd love an aromatic that I could taste. I've had people suggest cigar "like" tobacco, but I want something different. If I wanted cigar tobacco, I'll smoke my cigar !

Sep 18, 2015
Yeah, as far as I know there is not a pipe tobacco that taste like cigars. I not real big on the aros, for the most part but a couple I have found I like are the Frog Morton's, Russ O's Old Glory and DE Heirloom Cherry, the cherry was not what I was expecting it actually taste like tobacco and the cherry is in the background.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Personally, I find when a tobacco doesn't deliver in the flavor department, it is usually due to my smoking technique and not the tobacco.
Some of those blends you listed, read Nightcap, can be a flavor power house. Really concentrate on you technique while enjoying your pipe. I have always liked the following comparison;
Cigars are like being chauffeured in a Royals Royse, just light and go. Pipes, on the other hand, are like driving an old, high performance sports car. You need to know all her nuances to get her to perform at her best.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That is one I never noticed. It do look good. There are a lot of good Balkans out there to try. Been on a Balkan binge lately.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Nightcap is many things, but tasteless isn't one of them. Did you let it dry ?

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Well , I have smoked fine cuban cigars and I know what you mean. The pipe is a different animal altogether.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I recommend you try Pirate Cake, Ten Russians, Odyssey, Robusto, and/or Key Largo.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Out of all the tobaccos on your list, Escudo is the only one I have ever found to have no taste. Nightcap especially has a distinctive and robust flavor, and that's just sucking on a pipe full of it without lighting it. I've tried most of the other ones, and while some of them have a bad flavor, the flavor is there. I'd suggest more drying and smoking slower like everyone says. And give up on the damned Escudo; you and I probably have the wrong genetic sequencing to be able to taste it. People who think it is a flavor-packed wonder of the world probably can't taste chocolate, and don't know what all the fuss is about.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
Drying is something that I have been doing. Drying is one thing I can do right. Packing, lighting, to fast.....to slow.....that's something I always try to improve.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That is one I never noticed. It do look good. There are a lot of good Balkans out there to try. Been on a Balkan binge lately.
It's very good Jack, it won the chicago bowl best blend 2 years ago I believe. To the OP maybe stick with this tobacco for a while if you're enjoying it, then start branching out a bit at a time. Virginia's are usually the last thing a pipe smoker learns to appreciate.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I smoked a bowl of it and I bought a pound. It's really good and a great price.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
I also came into pipes from cigars.

The first mistake i made was to puff on the pipe until i got enough smoke that would fel like a cigar.

All i got was the worst tongue bite ever.

Anyway, i also like balkans and english and found esoterica "and so to bed" a great smoke.

Seatle pipe club "plum cake" is also good.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo weed
I'm guessing that if you like Arango's BS, you might like Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme and Proper English, and Balkan Sasieni. Give Dunhill Aperitif, London Mixture and Durbar a shot. It sounds like you are attuned to some specific Orientals.
hp

les

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
People who think it is a flavor-packed wonder of the world probably can't taste chocolate, and don't know what all the fuss is about.
Nope, I can taste chocolate just fine :)
Escudo is currently one of my top 5 blends. Can't get enough of that stuff!
weedsnager, as to your problem with tasting the tobacco, I will echo what others have said. Slow it down and sip. It takes time to develop the "taste". I get most of my "taste" from the retrohale, so if you aren't already doing that then give it a try.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you've smoked all those blends and didn't taste them, then I admire your perseverance.

I started out smoking pseudo pipe tobacco which was basically a roll your own cigarette sort of ribbon cut tobacco.

Once I started smoking more mainstream pipe tobacco I began to taste my smoke and to appreciate the differences of the various pipe tobacco genres.

If you started out smoking Escudo and Nightcap and didn't taste anything, I feel sorry for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.